Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Leftovers: Season 1

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Anyone catch this premiere? Way better than expected. An interesting blend of depressing drama with bits of humor sprinkled in. Haven't seen Justin Theroux in anything else other than his supporting role in American Psycho, but he does a pretty good job as the lead.

I'd say it definitely has Damon Lindelof's style, which makes for compelling television. And as any Lost fan knows, it also makes for extremely frustrating television so we'll see where this goes.

The part with the celebrities that disappeared was great. Shaq? Anthony Bourdain? Gary Busey? Hilarious.

2. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was waiting for someone to post a quick review on it, I'll check it out tonight, not much in the way of TV on at the moment so a new show would be good.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, I've got it downloaded just haven't watched it yet... one of those "if nothing else is on I'll give this a shot", because I haven't heard shit about it.

4. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Just watched this. Way too depressing of a show. Some cool brain candy to contemplate but the fantastical backdrop is completely overwhelmed by the undercurrent of darkness and fucked uppedness of the human condition.

Very good production value and some intriguing character study potential, but holy shit, way too casually dark for me.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The show so far is very well-acted, but just wallows in sadness and loss for at least the time being. I've heard of the novel and I'll give it a shot since the premise is intriguing but it seems more like a character study rather than a mystery as to how the rapture occurred.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Its definitely a character study, and its absolutely the way Lost was too, aside from the polar bears, smoke monster, island Source, etc. This show will probably focus on that family with the world events unfolding in the background. Some shows are good at it, some shows kind stumble with the concept (e.g. Walking Dead).

The bleakness isnt quite as bad as Children of Men, but its up there.

7. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I've been excited for this for a while. I read the book while I was waiting for it to start and really liked it, so I was looking forward to it even more. But, since I read the book so recently I found the pilot a bit boring since it was setting up the story I already knew. I have hopes for this, especially since Perrotta is so involved with it. The book felt like it ended way too soon so they have a lot to work with for a show. And it looks like they're doing a bit more with some characters that were minor in the book but were really interesting. But as one of those people who thinks a movie about the Holocaust goes way too far the minute a Nazi shoots a dog, I got so many sads with all of the animal violence. Come on, man.

Anyone else think it was weird seeing Buddy Garrity have such a throwaway role?

8. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There seemed to be a bit of a negative reaction after the 2nd episode, so I thought I might be better off skipping this series and just reading the book (as I actually find the premise interesting).

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yea it's cause it was boring. This is the kind of episode you have somewhere in season 2 as a filler, not after the pilot when the audience needs more character and world development.

10. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This show is taking too long to get started. You can see the future plotlines coming, but because it's Lindelof you also know it's gonna be some bullshit, borrowing Abrams' "mystery box" to keep us coming back. We already went thru 6 years of this crap with LOST. I'm just gonna call it and get the ebook.

11. jkc0303

jkc0303
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

Watched the first two episodes and concurr with all of the sentiments expressed. Trying to determine whether to stick with this show or cut bait and read it started to pick up with the third...anyone watch it?

12. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

the SO has been dying to watch this show and we just started it. We're through three episodes of this and its been fucking torture. This show doesn't work in this day and age. Somehow, somewhere there are enough people watching it to have it renewed. This is not an enjoyable show to watch, at all. She hasn't watched LOST so she doesn't know how fucked she is, I'm trying to explain to her how extremely unsatisfying this show is going to be, but she just won't listen to me.

13. bean

bean
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I watched and generally enjoyed the whole season. That said, I did quit watching Lost around Season 2-3 so it may come to that with this show as well.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It's strange how they did season one. Maybe they didn't plan on it being a hit, because season one basically covered the entire novel. Wherever it goes now is beyond the book.

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not sure if anyone is watching Season 2 but it has been incredible. They basically took all the pieces and re-arranged the board so the show was more interesting and engaging. They've added new characters and it's been great all around. WAY WAY WAY better than season 1. If you haven't checked it out, do so. The first few episodes are meaty, but these last ones move pretty fast. Episodes 7 and 8 were incredible, written by Damon Lindelof and son of Carlton Cuse, Nick Cuse.