Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The League: Season 1

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by AKSB, Nov 21, 2009.

1. AKSB

AKSB
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Alright, I've been watching this show since the pilot and have been waiting for someone else to post a thread about it. I guess I'll step up. In short: it's awesome. I took a flier on the first episode of this show and decided to watch it -- mainly because it came after Sunny -- and loved it. I've recorded every episode on my DVR (the season's four episodes in), and have showed it to about 20 friends and almost every one of them has liked it.

If you don't know the premise: it's about middle-aged men in a fantasy football league. The fantasy football serves as a backdrop for the funny. It helps to follow sports at least passively so you can pick up on some of the references, but being a die-hard fantasy football nerd is by no means a prerequisite (I don't play fantasy football). If you like the humor in shows like The Office, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Curb Your Enthusiasm, or Eastbound and Down, you need to give this show a chance.

2. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've been following this show too and DVRing evert episode and find it fucking hilarious. The beat part is that I have friends like each character in the show. I love how it centers around FF and the way they interract is so real, at least to me since that's the way my friends and I are.

My only complaint, (albeit small and nerdy) is that the FF talk was more "correct." Example:
    in the latest episode the talk of Gates going for 200 yards and 4 touchdowns never happened, it would have been nice to see a real life example used and no one with any semblance of sports knowledge wouldn't know about Plax Burress
    but it's not really feasible or that to happen since the shows have to be pre-recorded and such.

3. waldo

waldo
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Seen all the episodes and love it. The fantasy football is kind of an afterthought in the show though, which doesnt bother me since it is funny anyway.

4. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm gonna go ahead and say that even though Pete and Kevin seem like they're supposed to be the main characters, Ruxin and Taco are clearly the real stars of the show.

Now, can I get some more Nadine Velazquez?

5. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ruxin and Kevin are by far my favorite characters in the show. I also like that they've already gotten into giving fans extras all week leading up to the show. Taco music videos and video messages from their "league" are all very funny. Besides a local brewery that gives of freebies to their fans on Facebook this is the most worthwhile thing I've become a fan of.

I also love how they bash Ed Hardy clothing in every episode.

6. LindseyBluth

LindseyBluth
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Even I like this show, which is surprising since I loathe football season. My husband spends 9 hours every Sunday watching football plus Monday night football plus Thursday night games, and he's in 2 fantasy leagues. I must have been drunk when I said OK to NFL Sunday Ticket.

Anyway, the show is hilarious and people who don't watch or follow football can certainly enjoy it.

7. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Seeing Taco dressed up as that stuffed animal thing holding the butcher's knife is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV. I love fantasy football so I decided to give this show a chance. I thought it started off kind of slow, but the last episode with Antonio Gates, the trade raping and the retreat, along with everything else has me hooked.

8. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

10. fly1180

fly1180
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Some guy on the fx board posted some screenshots. The first is my new background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics are hidden since I don't know how to resize

11. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Through 4 episodes, this show is consistently funny and I feel like capture that whole "early marriage" in a different light.

I can't recall specific funny lines, but rather I can just remember periods where I was cracking up for a solid 30-60 seconds. Taco's song at the party while Ruxin was talking to the "special-ed Harry Potter" was classic, and Taco rewarding Ellie with candy for her swearing was hilarious, especially because my cousin's pregnant wife mentioned she could see me doing the same thing recently.

12. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Just caught up on this show. So great.

I used to be a huge fantasy football nerd and almost felt like they were making a joke about me when they brought in The Oracle. I didn't have any extra-curiculars in high school and our $20 buy-in fantasy football league was the most important thing in the world to me. I was the king of sleeper picks and always our league's commissioner. It wasn't until I was playing $100 buy-ins on PokerStars that I stopped caring about fantasy sports since I realized I was pouring in 480912 hours to win $150 at most for first place.

13. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm gonna change my mind on this one. Can I get more of Kevin's wife Jenny. Killer body when she was walking away down the alley flipping them off in only boyshorts at the end of "The usual bet".

14. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

What are your favorite quotes of the show so far now that season one is almost done?

The one where Ruxon says he feels like there is 10 pounds of pudding inside of him had me cracking up.

15. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm gonna need to rewatch this entire premiere season when it's done on hulu like three or four times to answer this. But I'm 97% sure it's gonna be about 3 Penis Wine.

16. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Paraphrasing:

Ruxin:
    "There is the United Nations, and then there is the security council"
    *motions to the group*
    "United Nations"
    *motions to him, Kevin, and Pete*
    "Security Council."
    pauses for 5 second, points at Andre
    "Ghana!"

I lost my shit

17. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Ruxin:
    "Daddy's friends think they're going to go balls deep in him, but he's going to go balls deep in them!" to his baby

Taco while smoking out of a unicorn pipe:
    "Ahhhh....I have a mental erection."

For the potato-sack race:
    "You didn't even pick your own kid..."
    "That's good because she's not that fast."

18. waldo

waldo
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Kevin to Andre:

"You're like the honey dew in a fruit salad, nobody likes the honey dew. But you need it there cuz it takes up space."

19. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

"Ohhh...you wanna go to a Counting Crows concert this weekend?"
    "Who are the Counting Crows?"
    "Are you kidding me, Adam Duritz? That guy's cool!"

Don't know why that made me crack the fuck up.

"SPECIAL SEX!!!!"
    "Are there unicorns snowing teardrops of Elton John songs?"

20. fly1180

fly1180
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Ruxin's rant on divorce:

Also
    and