Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Lazy Mod Drunk Thread 7/8/11!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Dog, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

The idiots guide to cooking fish is either wrap it in alfoil with lemon, butter and salt, and bake it at 320-350 (300 if fan forced) for about 30 minutes, 45 if it's a really thick piece, or dunk it in milk, dust it in flour and whatever kind of seasoning you think sounds delicious, and fry it in lightly oiled plan or on the grill on a medium heat until the flour looks golden and the movement when you poke it looks like cooked fish instead of raw fish (10 minutes, 12 on a low heat).

Seafood can be complicated when you go fancy, but for basics - it should be one of the easiest things in the world to cook.

2. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lots of butter, just hot enough that it doesn't scorch. Salt. Pepper. Stop.

Also, don't buy fish from Wal-Mart. I don't know where you live, but wherever it is there are lakes, rivers, or hopefully, an ocean. Find out what kind of fish comes out of those bodies of water and buy it fresh.

3. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seafood looks tasty.

Too bad I'm allergic.

4. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Reheating fish in the office will make you 'that guy with the stinky fucking fish' forever. Reheated fish tends to have a hell of a smell. Also tends to dry the fish out unless you're putting it in some recipie that has a lot of moisture available (IE as part of a pasta bake or something). For fried/baked fish, I'd much prefer to just fry the portion I wanted each night if I had that option.

5. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Eastern NC, 1.5 hours from the coast. I've seen fresh fish sold in certain places, but holy shit is it expensive. I'm wondering if I should wait until I'm no longer a broke college student before I attempt to make fish a staple of my diet.

6. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I want to punch you right now. When I lived in Savannah, there were people like you. We lived rock throwing distance from the Atlantic, but they would eat at Long John Silver's.

There is a farmer's market where you live. I don't know where you live, but I promise you there is one. Go to it. Buy the fish that is for sale. If it's white, saute it in butter or dust it with cornmeal and fry it. If it's red, saute it in olive oil or bake it.

7. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

I vastly, vastly prefer fresh fish too. I love that I live somewhere where I can buy straight from the trawlers if I want too, or go to a restaurant that has their own fishing boats and know that whatever they serve was in the ocean sometime in the last 12 hours. But when it's three times the price to buy frozen from a grocery store, or fresh from the the farmers market nextdoor- I understand someone with a tight budget going for the frozen stuff. It's not THAT bad.

8. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just got back from the video store with the second season of "Carnivale." This show was recommended to me by several people, and they all said the same thing: There would be a lot of "dark humor" that I would like.
    I haven't laughed at all. It's a great show, but I feel I was misled. It's interesting hearing that midget from the David Lynch movies talk in a normal voice for a change.

Let's put some music on; it's too quiet around here.

The song isn't actually 8 minutes long, this video just has a lot of silence at the end for some reason; it was the only non-live video I could find.

#548 dixiebandit69, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  9. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

grrr...

#549 PIMPTRESS, Jul 10, 2011
  10. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a new sports bar by the gym. The girls wear cutoffs and bikini tops with cowboy boots.
    I convinced The Guy and our friends to check it out Saturday. If you're in the ballpark area of dfw you should check it out. The girls are cute and have real boobs, and the food isn't bad at all.

Re: meat from the grocery store...
    Find a meat market nearby. Better meat for a better price. Real meat. Local food.

11. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My region has a Sunflower Market, they have the most beautiful lamb chops....along with a delicious Parmesan pastaand freshly sauteed asparagus....

Thats whats for dinner.

12. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

We have a weird grocery store model, and no direct Walmart equivalent (well our Walmart equivalent would actually have a pretty nice Deli selling quality fresh fish for the most part) - but I didn't really get the sense that the kid was shopping at Walmart because despite being a lawyer with a solid disposable income, because he loves the Ambiance. He's a broke ass student trying to eat a slightly more diverse diet with a restricted budget.

Cut price frozen fish is far from good. But it's not full of AIDS or anything. And if you're bored with the standards - it's not a bad way to break up your diet a bit on the cheap. And even living in a town with a major fishing industry and a shitload of unskilled poor migrants to work the fishing industry, fresh fish can be fucking expensive

Personally I LOVED halal butchers when I was poor. I actually still love Halal butchers, but the ones near me when I was really poor had amazing prices and interesting stuff like Goat that gave me a few more options for protein. I just didn't tell them that I was cooking my goat with a bunch of Bacon.

13. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wrap that asparagus in Bacon.

14. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Warning: Cooking related rant ahead.

Bacon is wonderful. It's tasty and magical and worth its weight in gold.

However, wrapping things that taste good all by themselves in bacon is terrible. It makes the whole thing taste like bacon. If you want something to taste like bacon then eat bacon. Leave the asparagus alone.

15. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I wrapped the asparagus in bacon, I would add a fresh Romano chees in the middle.

With mushrooms....mmmm

16. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First, turn the asparagus into sausage, then wrap it in bacon, roll it in brown sugar, and turn the whole thing into gold, sell the gold, and go buy yourself a new car.

17. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh,you're buying gold now?

#557 PIMPTRESS, Jul 10, 2011
  18. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wouldn't that gold be better spent to move out of one's parents'? Or, better yet, our of Alabama?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

19. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh yeah

#559 PIMPTRESS, Jul 10, 2011
  20. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded