Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Last of Us

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think these guys have done a phenomenal job of understanding what makes a good video game vs what makes a good TV show, and haven't tried to force anything from the game into the TV show, and created/expanded the TV show where it makes sense to.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Compared to Walking Dead, the showrunners of which thought that injecting the show with the most graphic violence probably ever on cable TV was what viewers wanted.

3. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I never made it past when Negan lost and got locked up. Perhaps you're talking about later seasons. But I thought, up to that point, it was reasonable prediction of human behavior in a zombie apocalypse. When the difference between life and death is resources, people in that apocalypse will get violent over resources.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I agree that people would descend into tribalism. I read the comic and I knew exactly what was coming with Negan's introduction, but the insanely graphic death of Glenn and Abraham was purely for shock value. I feel like the show just became an exercise in nihilism from then on and had nothing really more to add. It just became more and more lazily written as time went on.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

People were getting violent two years ago over toilet paper. Law and order is the really only thing preventing things like cannibalism and female slavery from happening.

We’re not good people. We would not handle it well, we would not be good to each other. It would be a prison planet where everyone is paranoid of each other.

6. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was for shock value. Was it really to shock us viewers, or because that type of display has been a tool of war forever? Kings and cultures displayed heads on spikes to shock people into obedience for centuries.

#26 Fiveslide, Mar 1, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This show, wow. What an episode. Bella Ramsey is legit. And seeing
    skinned humans hanging and ready for meat processing? ew. But it was a nice foreshadow setup earlier when the guy said "it's venison" coupled with the "tiny little pieces comment later.
    Firing on all cylinders.

8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup. That was a hell of a ride.

Also, LOL @
    the religious cult leader eating people and raping kids

Pretty on-the-nose right there.

9. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Heh.
    I knew the guy was a scumbag the minute he started reading from the bible.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

So did Joel actually kill that guy that the preacher claims he did, or was he the one eaten by the group?

11. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't get the impression the group was killing anyone for food, but they were opportunistically eating anyone who died.

So I think it's both. He was the one Joel killed, but they aren't burying the body.