Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The house that Huxtable built. Burning to the fucking ground

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kubla Kahn, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Re: The house that Huxtable built. Burning to the fucking gr

I'm sure Juice is on suicide watch.

Or he's in line hoping to be next on Cosby's list.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Woody Allen weathered his storm because it's the same story/controversy we'e always heard. People either ignore it and enjoy his movies all the same or they take it to heart forever and never support him.

With Cosby, I think this is different. I didn't even know about this until Hannibal Burress said said something. Not that I am a beacon of all pop culture and current events. But the shear amount of women coming out and accusing him is astounding to me. In my mind, there is no way this isn't true. I don't believe all these women could have colluded and orchestrated something like this for the sole purpose of bringing someone down if there wasn't validity to it.

I don't see him getting past this in the public eye. He is too old. I'm not sure anything can be done about it criminally. How do you prosecute it?

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

You prosecute him in civil court. Refuse to settle and instead bring attention to a rapist in public court. Like xray says, the Ockham's razor solution is that he's a fucking monster. I don't see such a huge number of people coming forward and with the details that they are sharing if it weren't true.

I hope he burns.

5. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From a criminal standpoint, you don't. Rape cases are hard under the best of circumstances and with so much time having passed and a complete lack of physical evidence you're left with a he said/she said based on something that happened 10 years ago. A swearing contest in court isn't sufficient to get over "beyond a reasonable doubt".

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was just about to say the above. Regardless of the 50 women who say all of this, we're in the hard evidence age. Unless there is a paper trail, DNA trail etc. this is going to be difficult to actually get him behind bars.

This is just weird man, just weird as hell. Are there no good people anymore? I was listening to NPR about how the FBI wiretapped MLK Jr. knew about all his cheating. Then recently there was that conversation about the Uber Exec, which spawned conversation about "is it just possible that all the great people, just have fatal flaws?" I just don't know.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Cosby who?

8. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm interested in the media backlash, especially from the comedy community. Hannibal Buress' jokes were great because I think everything is amplified cause Cosby has taken this pious stance on a lot of things. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a very funny comedian, but he's very pompous is an "get off my lawn" sort of way, and getting him tore down will be satisfying for a number of people.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Juice is loose

This reminds me of OJ and the Bronco. Maybe you guys were all familiar with these past accusations, but this was all recent developments to me. I remember being all, OJ? OJ Simpson? He did what now? No way! And, now with Cosby - boy, this seems out of left field. So it ain't so, Joe.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Re: Juice is loose

Because this is that scene, in the Internet age.

11. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

In the late 70s my cousin had a job in PR in the Calgary area, dealing with VIPs. She met and worked with a lot of famous people for the time. In 1983 she lived with us for a few months (I was very young, so this has been repeated often over the years). During that time she swore to my dad that the biggest asshole to deal with of anyone she had ever met was Bill Cosby. By a large measure.

So all my life, whenever he was on television, he'd rant that Cosby was a prick. I guess this just confirms what I've always been told. Strange it took so long for the stories to stick, though.

12. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's not so weird. There's a tipping point with some celebrities. How one can manage to keep his crimes clandestine, and another is accused right off seems to be the question. Jimmy Savile, a BBC presenter, raped as many as 450 kids over 4 decades. Nobody found out shit until after the dude died. Whole disgusting mess is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savi ... se_scandal

Gary Glitter was raping kids for years before he got caught. He spent time in Cambodia before being deported for child sex crimes. He went to Vietnam and was almost executed for rape. He spent a stretch in the clink over there, too. It happens. These people can operate for a long time before they're uncovered.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Unless there was some child molestation shit he kept under wrap because he was the most famous mother fucker on PBS.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nope. Safe to believe in ol' Fred. He was the real deal.

15. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly, any time I feel like I'm losing faith in humanity, I remember Mr. Rogers. If some evil shit came out about him I think I might genuinely kill myself, he seems like the most genuinely good person ever.

As for Cosby, there are just too many allegations at this point to ignore or even reason away. The most likely scenario is, with all his deals going away and his projects cancelled, he'll likely crawl in a hole for the rest of his life, but won't face any real punishment. I doubt even a civil suit would happen at this point, but the damage to his career and reputation seems to be done.

16. R_Flagg

R_Flagg
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My two cents; should these allegations pan out to be true, then Cosby will eventually die with a tarnish on his name (rightfully earned) much as Micheal Jackson did.

Look at the child molestation accusations that Jackson dealt with, when I hear his name that's what I think about. Not his music, not his performances, not a life-long career that made him a well respected artist; I only think of the accusation that he might've done some inappropriate things with children. In all likelihood, that is the road Cosby is going down; a long and well respected career that ends in shame and doubt on his character. If Cosby did rape those women, then the shame has been earned along with any civil or criminal punishments meted out by the courts. Yet, if he proves to be innocent the stain will still be there; being accused of rape is a serious thing and it's nothing people will forget or forgive.

This ties right in with the point I was making, Cosby's career is over now; after the media loses interest in the matter he'll fade from public view until he eventually passes away.

I wouldn't know where to begin to even prosecute a case like this; I highly doubt any physical evidence remains and simply going on word of mouth isn't enough, as others have said. Besides isn't there a statute of limitations for rape? Yeah you could always go for a civil suit, but without any substantial evidence wouldn't it be as hard or harder to determine any guilt? (I'm not a lawyer, my legal expertise has always been on the less-fortunate-end of things.)

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Funny you mention.

My paternal grandfather is good friends with him, and growing up we got to visit the set a few times, meet the guy, do the famous "sit in his lap" thing, whole shebang. But there were plenty of stories too; my grandfather wouldn't talk about them because him and Rodgers did some work together, but boy did my grandmother and relatives talk shit. The biggest smiles hide bigger assholes.

18. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

Except that it's BEEN forgotten at least once already. Cosby rape allegations have circled and swirled around the man multiple times over the years and he just keeps coming back. I'm not saying the same thing will happen this time, especially since more women seem to be coming forward... but Cosby himself is actually proof that being accused of rape is not always a life-ruiner. Especially if you have enough money to keep your accusers quiet.

19. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Short of some of those stories involving him killing hookers or keeping an underage Thai boy in his basement, BFD. Everyone talks shit about people on a personal basis. And with people who are generally thought of as great people, it is amplified. Not to discredit your grandparents but "bigger" asshole would literally contradict the opinions of hundreds of people who knew him and publicly vouched for his character.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nope. Wrong.

You could not be more wrong or lack credibility about this. Either your grandfather is lying, you are misunderstanding what he and your grandmother said about him, or they have some petty disagreement that they used as an opportunity to sully a man's reputation with unfounded nonsense. Mr. Rogers (no "d" is the correct spelling, by the way, not that I would expect you to know that) was a kind and giving man, who dedicated his life to make the world a better place. He spent not just a few years grabbing at fame, but most of his life, in promoting this. His television show on PBS lasted 33 years. Find anyone on any show that lasted for more than 5 years, and you can find a cast mate, producer, or crew member that will talk shit about them, if they are indeed an asshole. Yet, that's not the case with Fred Rogers. Do you wonder why? Well, wonder no more. Mr. Rogers was actually NOT an asshole, and certainly wasn't hiding any assholery behind a smile.

Mr. Rogers was a good man, by any standard.

#20 Rush-O-Matic, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015