Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Horror Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Crown Royal, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Trifecta

Trifecta
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

When A Stranger Calls (1979):
    Even though the first 20 minutes follows an urban legend that everyone knows, it still manages to be scary as hell. The remainder of the movie is awful, but the first 20 minutes are fucking amazing. Even though you know exactly what is going to happen, your skin crawls just because they did such a great job with these first 20 minutes.

The best horror directors do this all the time. Think about how many endings in horror movies that you can predict a mile away. The ending of Drag Me To Hell was blatantly telegraphed... but it didn't matter. Raimi is such a great horror director that even though you know exactly what is going to happen, you still feel the tension and suspense.

Black Christmas (1975):
    This one is so underrated. Basically, it is a slasher movie that was made before the slasher genre developed. It has many elements of slashers (killer stalks college girls in sorority house, killer's methods become more eleborate as the movie progresses), but calling it a slasher flick just doesn't do it justice. Sure, there are times where it's campy, but overall it is an excellent horror movie.

House of 1,000 Corpses:
    Rob Zombie's horror movie. If it hadn't been on InstantWatch on Netflix I don't think I'd have ever seen this, since every other Rob Zombie horror movie has been awful. This movie turned out to be pretty bad, but I actually kinda liked it. It's clear that Rob Zombie is a HUGE horror fan, as just about everything in the movie is an homage to another horror movie (the whole movie in general is very close to a remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre)... But while he may be a huge fan, he just isn't a good storyteller. The visuals are awesome and chilling, but they are ineffective because you just don't care about the characters or what's going on. (Aside: the Captain Spaulding character was awesome)

Dead Snow
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, this is a Norwegian zombie movie that features Zombie Nazis. It's entertaining and clearly knows it is a joke--it references a ton of better and funnier zombie movies throughout the movie. But that's also the problem--you should watch all those other movies instead. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent movie, it just isn't great.

Bloodsucking Freaks
    A disturbing low budget exploitation film. This one is just bizarre. You find yourself laughing your ass off at how cheap and stupid some parts are... and then cringing at how awful and disturbing the next parts are. It is the essence of an exploitation movie, but unfortunately the essence of exploitation movies is a crappy movie with only shock value.

2. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I beg to differ. I just watched it last night on a whim and while it's certainly over the top, it doesn't take itself seriously in the least, which is one of it's best qualities. It's worth an hour and a half of your time.

For those of you living in Saskatchewan, it's available for free if you have the Movie Central package from Sasktel.