Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Homesteading Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Popped Cherries, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We are setting up their run to include both a gravity feeder as well as a rain barrel with gravity fed piping with poultry cups every 4 inches. They should be OK left on their own for about a week without needing food or water. Only thing we would need is someone to come by and grab the eggs which we have a few neighbors who could do that for us.

2. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Anyone have a link they used to buy chicks?

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

What region are you in? That makes a big difference in where you order from.

4. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Upper left coast.

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Idealpoultry out of TX did a good job shipping considering the distance, and didn't charge much. I think they are better with their chickens than with their ducks in terms of breeds.

If you want something more local, I'd recommend calling your closest Tractor Supply Company or similar biz and asking who supplies their chicks. I don't know about your area, but around here due to current events, they are selling out of the chicks and ducklings they are putting in their store about instantly because people are way more into the idea of homesteading right now.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

for those looking to protect poultry, I ran across some super cheap deer netting while trying to figure out how the fuck I'm gonna build a fence around a large garden project I just ADHDed myself into.

At $20 for 7X100 ft, it's cheap enough to double up on if you wanted.

7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was working outside yesterday and thought to take some pictures of what I meant about securing your coops with hardware cloth. Here's a better illustration of what I have done so far. Nothing it digging in there. The backside of this structure presents some challenges, but I think I have it figured out.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 10.49.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 10.49.32 AM.png

8. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our damn German Shepard killed one our chickens yesterday. Actually, he injured it bad enough that I ended its suffering with a hatchet. He chewed a huge hole in its back. I thought for sure it was dead but it got up and ran back to the coop.

I never would have thought he would do that. He was a puppy when we got these chickens, they spent nearly their whole lives together, peacefully. He normally watches over them and herds them back into the yard if they wander too far, I've watched him protect those chickens from other neighborhood dogs. I'm guessing he got territorial because of a visiting next door neighbor's dog and something in his brain just went off, a dog that doesn't get along with any other animal. Our German Shepard never met an animal he didn't want to befriend, I just don't get why he did it.

9. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really wish the weather around here would straighten out. Even with all this time off I haven't gotten squat done outdoors. Hens of various species are getting or have already gotten broody, which will make moving them to new pens difficult when I actually get the work done. I have an idea for a solution if needs be, but I'd rather not.

Plus, I have a goat with mites on his legs that I just can't get rid of. I'm hoping this "last ditch" solution the vet gave me started to work, and I'm hoping it hasn't spread to the other two.

Farm living is such a pain in the ass sometimes, but still such a joy.

10. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You chicken people need to learn to crochet:

[​IMG]

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

saw that on reddit, thought it was @bewildered

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Hah! My sister shared it on facebook, and my mom thought it was me, too.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

part of you thinks that's a really good idea doesn't it?

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Not really. It's cute but I have little use for it. I still have my server apron if I need something like that and it's easier to wash. I don't keep that many birds. And if I have too many to carry out in my hands I just put them in a plastic container. They have super hard shells and can be stacked pretty high with no cracks.

15. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All I can think when I see things like that is “What a pain the ass to monkey with.” Not that I’d be caught dead wearing one anyhow.

We have several coated wire baskets I use. Or, I just put them in my coat pocket.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

yeah I just picked up mine carrying an amazon box or put them in a plastic grocery bag. Duck egg shells are like baseballs, don't break for anything

17. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I managed to crack/crush the side of one today by dropping it from about 4' high onto concrete. No oozing though. I just fed that one to the dogs.

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Has anyone raised meat rabbits? I have read a little about it and am fascinated by the idea. I think I'd be more likely to try that rather than broilers.

19. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did a long time ago. I raised New Zealand’s. Not only was the meat delicious, They also produce a lot of great fertilizer. I’ve been tempted to get rabbits again if only for the manure.

20. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hear rabbits scream when you kill them. You can put chickens in a cone which calms them down.