Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Homesteading Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Popped Cherries, Mar 23, 2020.

1. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@Nettdata - How does that inflator work on pool floaties? I have a janky electric one (plug in) that kinda works but it makes a ton of noise.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's not bad.

The biggest issue is the runtime limitations... it's not battery life, it's the heat buildup. It can only run about 10 mins at a time.

I've got it primarily for doing the car/truck/bike tires, and it works really well for that.

No regrets on the purchase.

I've found a few videos that give you an idea:

3. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a Dewalt battery lawn mower for $499 at Home Depot. I always assumed I'd run my current gas mower til it died, then get a battery powered mower. I did the math this morning on gas, oil, & yearly maintenance, etc...the Dewalt would pay for itself a sooner than I originally thought. Still not quite there, but for convenience alone it's worth considering.

4. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I bought a mini vacuum that doubles as an inflator. It is relatively quiet, way quieter than any other type I've had. Let me go see if I can find a link.

Edit.. Here it is. There's a little nozzle that goes in the outlet for pumping up. Also done air mattresses with it..

https://www.amazon.com/Brigii-Handh...Rechargeable-M1/dp/B07Z7YJXYF?ref_=ast_sto_dp

5. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As happy I am with my Dewalt tools, I do wish battery pack connections were standardized so you could use any manufacturer's tool with any other's battery.

6. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Glad to see the wood cargo box. Looks nice on the bike.

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Me too! Everything was backordered. I ordered it with the bike but it took 3mo to come in AFTER the bike, plus another month for me to pick it up due to the distance I live from the shop. They loaned me the black canvass box but I really do love the bamboo box so much better.

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why are you fucking around with that weak ass shit? You have a very nice diesel truck, get a PTO driven air compressor.

https://vanair.com/genair-rotary-screw-air-compressor-generator-system-125-to-185-cfm/

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Something similar to that is in the works for next year... as is a huge power connection back to the Airstream. Basically using the big Cummins as a generator to quick-charge the battery packs with 200+ amps.

Part of the complexity is the lack of access I have to some of the power stuff in the Airstream... it involves removing aluminum panels and other things that is a big PITA, so I'm thinking through the process/system design with the plans of having it working by start of next year's season.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

11. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So lately, we just noticed that we have a SHIT-TON of rats running around our backyard like they fucking own the place. On the ground, in the trees, right around the geese and ducks... You get the idea.
    Jungle Julia ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY doesn't want me using traps for them; she has proposed going after them with baseball bats, but I don't think she fully comprehends how quick those little bastards can be, and how ineffective that will be.

I noticed that there is a colony/ nest under one corner of our driveway; I took a page from the Nazi playbook and decided to gas them (she was also opposed to this, for some reason; "something something, it might hurt the geese..."
    So I did it before she got home.)

I buried all of their entrances except one:

Rats 1.jpg

Then I stuck a pipe into the main entrance, and connected it to my pressure-washer.

Rats 2.jpg
    I ran it for about ten minutes, and none of the rats tried to burrow out. I uncovered most of the entrances about twenty minutes later, and none came out.
    I look forward to the smell of decaying rat coming from that corner in the coming days... It will smell like victory.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My next door neighbour had a family of skunks burrow under his back deck.

He was pissed, so went to the Big Box store and got a couple bags of quickcrete.... dumped them under the deck, took the hose to it.

Everything hardened up in a few days, no more skunk.

But what he didn't take into account is that concrete is porous... so for a few weeks after that, the steady smell of dead skunk wafted up through the concrete during the heat of the summer. He spent untold hours trying every chemical concoction to try and kill the smell, but it kept bubbling its way back up.

Being out of range of the smell, I found that to be hilarious.

13. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why doesn't she want you to use a trap? They kill fairly quickly in most cases. I can understand being against poison because of other animals, but I don't get the anti trap thing.

14. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dead skunk, oof. That had to be a bad smell, poor bastard.

15. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She's afraid one of the geese or the dog will get clamped.

For the record, I was going to use the black plastic traps, not the wooden Victor traps that can break your fingers.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Dead skunk family. It was not pleasant.

The real kicker was they'd spent some serious cash building a new patio gazebo, etc, and were looking forward to enjoying it with friends all summer.

Nope. Couldn't enjoy it until the following summer.

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We had a time with a skunk this summer. First the cat got sprayed, then the German Shepard, then the cat again. The cat probably tried to kill it the first time, cause that's what he does.

The skunk trapped a neighbor in his little shed. It wandered up and into the building while the guy was in there. He eventually got out without getting sprayed.

It finally left, or the cat killed it the second time. I absolutely believe the cat is capable of killing a skunk. He's killed snakes, possums and squirrels.

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I have mice outside. Or had. Not sure. I kept the rolling log over the bucket thing for awhile and killed 4. At dusk I saw one or two more and placed covered baits in a couple prime locations. Saw 1 mouse corpse, both baits were eaten over time.

I do my best to keep the compost covered and duck feed cleaned up. It is kept in a rodent proof container.

I'll probably put more covered bait in the garage and potting shed, in case anyone is getting ideas about coming in for the cold weather.

They have worked pretty well. I feel safe using them strategically. I used poison bait for the rat back in Bama too.

I do not fuck around with rodents. Be safe about it, but kill killkillll!

19. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rodents and poultry just seem to go hand in hand.

I'm all about poison, just have to be careful to keep it in locations where our dog can't get it. Fortunately, the invisible fence is an insurance policy against that. I was using those big cakes, except rats can and will carry them off, and you don't know where they'll end up. So I use small amounts of pellets, often inside a wire cage for added insurance nothing else gets it.

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I find it hilarious that JJ was against traps but all for smashing their brains out with a bat.

We have a massive black widow population at the shop. We get them every year but this year is especially bad. I have one of those bug-a-salt guns and smoke 3-5 a week.