Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Holiday Food Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengeofthenerds, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I'm thinking of doing some potato bacon volcanos for thanksgiving. Not a big fan of turkey or ham, but I'm gonna smoke brisket and ribs for xmas. I've always wanted to try doing homemade tamales and this might be the year for that.

At any rate, the Super Bowl of eating is upon us.

Share your recipes, talk about what you'll be making, post pictures of naked women with holiday food around them, whatever. Y'all fuckers know the drill.

2. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Going to the inlaws for Thanksgiving but will be smoking a prime rib on the Big Green Egg this weekend for friends and other family. I'll be sure to take post some pictures.

3. Coquette

Coquette
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I cook once a year, and it's on Thanksgiving; my green bean casserole has been sitting on various family tables, mostly uneaten, for almost 20 years. I even make it in the same glass casserole dish with the wicker-ish carrying case. This year I'll be helping with the stuffing and probably help pick out some gravy in a jar - going all out for 2016!

(I also cut up some celery, stuff some cream cheese in it and sprinkle it with whatever looks like paprika. God, I love Turkey Day.)

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Deviled eggs. If you haven't had these before you're missing out.

On a somewhat related tangent, I don't get why people do the whole black Friday thing. Cyber Monday is so much better and doesn't involve waiting in a line for four hours. What's the over under on how many people get trampled to death this year?

Well, yeah.

[​IMG]

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Deviled eggs? What the hell is wrong with you? There is nothing more vile than deviled eggs.

Crown I know you'll read this too. Come at me, slut.

6. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Are deviled eggs a Thanksgiving thing? Cause around these parts we eat them year round.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You'll have to forgive me. I didn't know this sort of madness was out there. You're a sick fuck, you know that? How can you not like deviled eggs?

Alright, I know what you eat for Thanksgiving dinner. Warning: Anyone who isn't Juice might find this disturbing.

[​IMG]

8. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It is obviously a bit late to start, but if you haven't tried Alton Brown's dry-brined turkey, you are really missing out.

It is a staple in the jäger household.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He's alive!

10. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am indeed, as long as the turkey doesn't give me botulism, and the liquor doesn't tip my liver over the edge.

11. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really think Texas does it right with a fried turkey. Never been a fan of the traditional whole, over cooked thing. Really for me its about the stuffing.

12. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Most people over cook turkey because they are afraid of under cooking it. But a nicely cooked turkey is great. There was normally a fight over the stuffing, until they started making enough.

13. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used to be firmly in the deep fried turkey camp until about 10 years ago when I started going the smoked turkey route. Just as moist, but a richer flavor profile when done right. The secret is a proper brine. I'll put my smoked turkey up against any of y'alls deep fried attempts everyday and twice on Sunday.

14. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Frying a turkey was popular because it makes a moist turkey. It became popular before the rise of everyone having a digital meat thermometer. It was also popular before people on the internet began sharing recipes. It's ok. But I think it is more of a novelty. There are way better ways to make moist flavorful bird.

We made ours in the oven this year. We brined it for 24 hours. Then we rubbed herb butter under the skin. Then we covered it with a frozen bacon weave. Frozen is important here because you can mold it better to the turkey. Then we covered the unbaconed areas with more butter. We tented it with foil and cooked it at 300 degrees until it hit 145. Then we pulled the foil off and cranked the oven to 375 until it hit 165. We let it rest for a half hour then craved it up. The below pic was the end result. It gave everyone a massive erection. Even the women. Their clits become engorged.
    [​IMG]

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I smoke my deep fried turkey what it do?

I finally had my mom try Adam Carolla's cranberry sauce this year. Sugar, water, cranberries. It got rave reviews. I feel bad telling her one of her recipes is just plain bad but her version of cranberry sauce was mealy and uncooked (just blended raw uncooked cranberries with some orange juice and let steep for a few days).

My moms boyfriends daughter made Yorkshire pudding again this year and it was again, underwhelming.

16. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've done that once and it was amazing. Smoke it to temp and then flash fry for the crispy skin.

17. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know its going to be a good prime rib if you have a smoke ring

[​IMG]

Realized I didn't take a picture of it until I was half way through slicing it up.

[​IMG]

18. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I deleted the photo I took of the bird my dad grilled but as usual it came out really well. He was also in the "hey let's open these bottles I've had sitting around for too long" mood so we had some really good Bordeaux wines from his stash all weekend.

Here's the venison loins I did the day after Thanksgiving. Like big candy canes made of meat before going on the grill. Delicious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got a ham from the honeybaked ham store because I had a gift card. I'll be eating ham sandwiches for weeks. Anyway, tonight I'm having ham with roasted brussels sprouts (just using bacon grease and s&p) and Bobby Flay's smoked chile scalloped sweet potatoes I've had the sweet potato recipe before, they are ridiculously simple to make and quite tasty.