Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Great Flood of 2019 WDT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Rain hitting the tin roof at the hunt camp was instant sleep for me.

These days it’s playing Archer episodes on the ipad on the night table beside the bed. Set it to sleep in an hour and it puts me right out.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I use ambient trance or nature sounds involving loons for sleeping. There is nothing like that sound.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

My 2 year old has a white noise maker. It's quite effective for him.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At Louder than Life festival. Nothing takes me back to my middle teens than the woft? of Mexican bud smoke.

5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When i was commercial fishing one summer and after a week or 2 on the ocean we were heading back to town, we were doing 16-18 hour days, i was tired as fuck. The bunks were below the cabin and the engine room was right next to the bunks with no door, just a passage way. The engine was a 2stroke Detroit, for those who don't know they are loud as fuck, the captain was like go sleep, told him i cant with that noise, he said go try you will be surprised. I think my head didn't even touch the pillow before i was out.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

When you're tired enough, you can sleep anywhere.

When I was in the military and going through officer training and we were doing field exercises, we'd be in the back of a duece-and-a-half (the M35 6x6) and I'd wrap my arm around a bench support and fall asleep no problem, despite being banged around.

7. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    For those of of us in the US, there only a couple of days left to buy a quasi legal cheap HAM radio. Come Tuesday the sale of Chinese Baofeng dual band radios will be outlawed. I bought one of these, which was delivered today. But then decided I need to up my game and get an 8 watt transmitting unit, which was around $65. People have said they can hit a repeater 20 miles away at 8 watts. Basically, these damn things are a menace...they can broadcast on HAM, military, emergency and police frequencies. I'm kind of surprised it took this long to crack down on them, but the fact that they'll no longer be available in a couple of days made me want one. Or two as the case may be.

I'll probably go get my HAM license just because that's always been something I've thought about, but not thought hard enough about to actually do it.

I just noticed the 8W version I bought has been pulled from Amazon already.

8. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I have no issues falling asleep or staying asleep; it’s just that I didn’t realize until this last go round with a flood that I wasn’t getting really deeply asleep until I inadvertently drowned out all the other life noises.

I wonder if they make a machine that just kills any outside sound.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

A lot of HAM radios can do that with the right equipment, just be really careful on frequencies outside of the bands/frequencies dictated by your license. The FCC does not fuck around with HAM operators violating the rules.

I’ve had my General license for 10 years. Lots of fun, enjoy.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

11. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can tell you from personal experience that those are ineffective when your bedroom shares a wall with a retired neighbor with no set schedule who happens to love techno music.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Foam earplugs are not good at blocking sound and very good at making you feel like your head is exploding.

Cans. Always.

13. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd recommend Eargasm earplugs if foam doesn't work for you. These are what I wear to metal shows and I'm usually in the pit.

Melatonin helps me sleep as well.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I was in Louisville this weekend and parked in the outside lot of my hotel. Since I have a German car with their recycled plastic bullshit trim. I’m not sure if someone broke into my glove box or if the plastic mounts just failed, as they had been cracked for a while. All the paperwork and contents was on the seat and my Bluetooth headphones,The most expensive thing in my car, were stuck in between the glovebox door.There were a ton of street people around but nothing missing and no signs of break in or jimmying of the glovebox. A mystery.

15. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My money is on the cheapass plastic breaking on it's own.

It just boggles my mind how German manufacturers get away with that kind of bullshit.

While we're on the subject of sleep: am I the only one who never feels rested when they wake up?
    ALL of my life, I never wanted to get out of bed, and still felt tired, no matter how much sleep I got.

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yeah I think it broke on it's own too. Were the doors still locked? Any other signs of unwanted visitors in your ride?

Maybe you're waking up in the middle of a REM cycle? I've heard that can make you feel tired or disoriented when you wake up.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

ZzzQuil is the only thing I've found that consistently helps me sleep without the side effects of waking up like I'm hungover or having horror movie nightmares. I keep a few bottles of that in the cabinet (it is expensive, but worth it) and take a big swig when I need immediate lights out. Used to be an every night routine for me.

Since I started exercising regularly though, my body generally goes dead around 10:30-11 without any help and I can consistently wake up without an alarm around 7:30-7:45. Nothing makes you tired as fuck like hitting the gym for an hour or more each day.

If you don't have the time for the gym though, ZzzQuil. Shit works.

18. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

get checked for sleep apnea. I was like that after our second kid, he never slept well so I thought it was him but then he started sleeping and I still felt like shit.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Totally this.

20. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know that I can have sleep apnea IF I sleep on my back (just like my dad did).
    The thing is that I rarely sleep on my back, because I get lower back pain that way.
    I almost always sleep on my sides.

Keep in mind that I've never felt rested, even when I was a kid. Sleep apnea usually doesn't show up until later in life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.