Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The General Cooking Thread

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Blue Dog, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Doing some pork shoulder sunday for pulled pork. Gonna try out a new rub, something more in the asian dry rub style, for the pork shoulder. As a general guideline, I like basing my rubs around the 5-4-3-2-1 method (5 parts, 4 parts, etc.) because it just seems to work, proportion-wise, as far as which flavors are more forward and which flavors you might want just a hint of.

5 parts kosher salt
    4 parts cane sugar
    3 parts mccormick's chinese 5-spice blend (anise, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, ginger)
    2 parts tumeric
    2 parts garlic powder
    1 part chili powder
    1 part black pepper
    Sesame seeds

spritz:
    starting after the 2-hr mark, whenever I add wood (works out to approx every 45 min)
    apple juice
    apple cider vinegar

cooking method:
    10 lbs pork shoulder, so approx 7 hours at around 275 or until it reaches an internal temp of 198-200 (I always go higher temp with pork, lower temps around 225 for brisket)
    mixture of lump charcoal (oak) and pecan chunks for a more delicate smoke flavor

Serving it on Hawaiian sweet roles with Sweet Baby Ray's spicy bbq sauce.

#1741 Revengeofthenerds, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I'm getting into baking more now that I have some proper tools at my disposal. I made my usual pizza dough recipe and it was so easy. No more back breaking kneading. Dough hook for the win. Having done all these prep techniques by hand in the past really makes me appreciate this workhorse Kitchenaide mixer.

The other night I baked a lemon pound cake that turned out fucking divine. I had to send half to work with my husband because I would have eaten the whole thing by myself easily. This is the recipe I used. I did sub full fat plain Greek yogurt for the buttermilk and used 1 extra T of lemon juice in the batter to add a little liquid and give it a more lemon flavor. I only zested 1 lemon so I didn't have nearly the zest the recipe called for so I figured the extra T of juice would help make up for that. And I used duck eggs because that's what we have here. Otherwise I followed it to the T.

I have a food scale and measured the ingredients by weight which probably helped a lot. I have learned over time that my measuring cups are really not that accurate and baking is like a chemistry experiment.

Perhaps due to the extra heaviness of the Greek yogurt, I had to bake for a total of more like 90min. I set the timer for what the recipe called for but it wasn't that nice light brown color til I gave it quite a bit more time.

The glaze was tasty but it was the syrup that really made this cake great.

Attached Files:

3. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Today I ordered a 12pc set of All Clad d3 pots and pans. Quite the investment, I better like them.

Thoughts guys?

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Try em out and report back! If you like them and they last then they are worth the investment.

I quite like my ceramic coated pans but they definitely don't hold up over time. Yes I use silicone cooking utensils. I have cast iron too but like them for specific things only.

5. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I managed to get myself a nice 8 piece set of theirs about a year ago. They're definitely worth the money; however, you'll also want to get yourself a big bottle of this stuff to use for cleaning. I've found that just using soap and water gets most of the surface stuff off, but tends to leave a bit of a film after drying, but using the Bar Keepers Friend keeps them nice and shiny, plus it's a bit abrasive so it really gets the cooked on stuff off of there.

The other thing I've personally found is that there is definitely a bit of a learning curve going into figuring out how they cook compared to what you might have been using before. That also could have been a personal thing since I was so used to cooking on really shitty pots and pans. Overall, I've found that since they are so good at heat conduction, you'll want to be sure to dial down the heat on whatever you're cooking at first until you figure out your sweet spot.

6. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Check that. I ordered that very item along with the set.

Thanks for the tips. I cook with gas. I wonder how much of a difference that makes.

I have never had a full matching set of any kind so I'm with you on the shitty equipment. I feel like I'm about to be blown away per youtube and the reviews I read prior to ordering them. BTW, I got them from Costco (cleaner from Amazon).

7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our 14 year old invited his girlfriend over for supper Monday. I asked him what they're having ( I was meeting some old co-workers ) and he said spaghetti. I said, "You invite her for spaghetti and I'm not here to make the sauce?" He just shrugged and said, "We have sauce downstairs."

My exact words: "Son, you do not invite a girl over for fucking Ragu." Fortunately for him I froze some of the sauce from the last batch I made. Crisis averted.

The boy needs to learn to cook more than Ramen noodles in the near future.

8. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FWIT, so do I, but my general point still stands. For example, on my old pans, I'd typically have my burners set at a 4 or 5 when trying to pan fry something, but now I do 3, 3 1/2 max and get the same results. Burned a few items and really tested my smoke detectors figuring that stuff out.

9. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I appreciate the info. I've checked my smoke alarms too, trying a new wing recipe in the oven. Needless to say I will forever fry them.

10. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been tasked with doing the turkey this year and since our new range has a rotisserie, that's how I'm cooking it. But my question is about brining; I've only brined one other turkey and it came out tasting super salty. Unfortunately, I don't remember which brining recipe I used or how long I brined it for. I see brine recipes all over the board with regards to how much salt to use and how long to brine. It's a smallish turkey at 13lbs and I'm looking to put it on the rotisserie at noon. Any help?

Here are some chickens that I ran a trial run with. Although I didn't brine them, they were some of the best chickens I've cooked.

Attached Files:

11. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Most turkeys you buy at your average supermarket are already brined so to speak. The label will say it contains x amount of a salt water solution. I'd check that out first before you brine it.

12. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am not the cook that so many of you here are, but if there is anything I know, it is do not experiment on Holiday meals. Cook what you know well and go with it. Experiments are for a Saturday dinner for the family that if it fucks up, you order pizza.

Just my thoughts.

13. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As noted in the Rep comment, that's a good call but I searched for one that wasn't. However, that could explain why the last one was so salty.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

They almost all will be as it increases the weight and size of the bird artificially... more $$$ for the reseller. Same goes for a lot of chicken, etc.

15. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think I figured it out. I'm pretty sure I found the brine that I used last time and it calls for three F'n pounds of salt! The Alton recipes uses one cup for reference. Brined the turkey, threw that bad boy on the rotisserie and had it over cooked in no time! Seriously. I checked the temp 30 mins before it was "supposed" to be done and the breast was already at 157*. After letting it rest, the carry over cooking made it a little dry. Not much and no one said anything but I was super irritated with myself.

Attached Files:

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think you just found out (the hard way) how rotisseries speed up the overall cooking process due to the way that heat hits all surfaces of the bird. Totally different than just soaking in from the top/sides.

Still looks tasty, and if anyone DID complain, I'd tell them to fuck themselves.

17. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I use a very old school Farberware counter top rotisserie my Mom gave me many years ago, that was hers. Even used and old that thing makes the BEST fucking prime rib I've ever had and in what seems like no time. I too had to learn how much faster they cook. I've got it down now. Matter of fact that's what's on the menu for Christmas. I've done chicken and game hens but, the prime rib is not to be messed with. I just coat (pack) it on all sides with Montreal Steak Seasoning and stick it on there. The hardest part is getting it all lined up and secure on the rod and prongs. Clear up is a breeze too.

It does drive the dog insane though. Watching that big hunk of meat spin while sniffing the sniffs.

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Could you provide a link to your counter top rotisserie or a similar style to the one you have? Is your unit huge and cumbersome? Do you leave it sitting on your countertop? Do you use yours a lot outside of holiday meals? I am intrigued.

If they are so much faster that might be a super economical way to cook big pieces of meat and whole chickens. I don't tend to roast whole chickens that much because it takes so long and really heats up the whole kitchen.

19. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So many kitchen gadgets. It never ends.