Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The General Cooking Thread

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Blue Dog, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pussy.

2. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have to live there too. I already did them a service by making the entire hood smell like delicious BBQ for 16 straight hours on Saturday.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you not see mine two post above? I made it this week and it is pretty good. The miatake mushrooms did not soften enough, maybe should have simmered it longer definitely needed to be chopped finer than I did.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Caldo de Pollo is comfort food around here. It's basically a mexican-style chicken soup mixed with a vegetable soup.

I use a mix of chicken and vegetable broth, as well as jalapeno peppers instead of Serrano. The key is to make it early and let it simmer for as long as you can, so all the flavors can make love with each other. You can also serve it with broken tortilla to make it kinda a chicken soup. One of those things that's impossible to fuck up.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of the YT channels I follow is "Alex French Guy Cooking". It's kind of a modern spin on Alton Brown, done by a French Guy, who isn't afraid to figure out new ways of doing things... very experimental.

Anyway, he just posted a video on his "Thanksgiving Planning", and thought I'd share it here for those of you that are having your ThanksGiving soon...

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just got back from Tokyo.

What a blast.

2 major high-points of the trip:

Michelin star Ramen:

IMG_5833.JPG

IMG_5834.JPG

IMG_5835.jpeg

And an amazing knife shop. Took me an hour out of the way to get there on my way back to the airport before coming home, but it was so worth it. Apparently this is one of 2 main chef knife supply shops... just a little hole in the wall, but holy shit the craftsmanship of the knives were amazing.

Totally worth the hassle of getting there.

IMG_5872.JPG

IMG_5871.JPG

IMG_5870.JPG

7. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I am actively jealous of your visits to both of those places! Glad it was a good trip, man.

You know, I took Japanese in college, but it has been long enough now that I would be out of luck with anything but English speakers. Pleasingly, there are many. Even so, it would take a lot of sumimasens.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gahh now I'll be queuing up all the cooking travel shows for SE Asia.

Drooling over here. Looks like a serious blast!