Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The General Cooking Thread

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Blue Dog, Oct 20, 2009.

1. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Serious question; where do you get that much garlic? My local store might have half that many, and 25% of those are shitty.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I live in a garlic growing area. I could buy a yard of the stuff if I wanted, for cheap.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Caramelized onions (many varieties) in good balsamic vinegar and a dash of brown sugar.

Garlic now out of the oven and cooling, pre-squeeze.

The kitchen smells absolutely incredible.

1C386A7E-FFAE-44D4-9AE8-912D12B84EA4.jpeg

F2396BE1-56D5-423C-A6B6-3ABBFC5DBC56.jpeg

84BAE7F3-F611-4FE2-BF10-2265417A0F67.jpeg

4. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can smell the farts from here.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It’s done.

And it’s as tasty and deadly as ever.

DCB94920-27F1-4798-A06C-E3BF0F1407BD.jpeg

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

just saw that @Nettdata updated the cooking thread and my first thought was "please let him be making that garlic soup to destroy xmas"

After making it for my family once, I am prohibited from making it ever again. My wife puts up with a lot of crap from me, but between my farts, and those coming from our boys, and those she produced, our house didn't smell right for a week. It was a miracle someone didn't shit themselves. Our house is just under 4k sq ft, single story, very large and open rooms, very spread out, with brick floors, exposed wooden beams, high ceilings and walls which I swear vibrate harmonically. The acoustics are INCREDIBLE. My wife would garlic soup fart in the shower on one end, and I would hear it rumbling in my office at the opposite end. It smelled almost the same going out as it did going in, except for the addition of pure sulfur somewhere in the stomach tract. It's a miracle no wildlife was killed in the ensuing several days just by getting too close to one of our doors or windows.

Anyone with the capability to make this absolutely must. But do not warn anyone in your family about the gastrointestinal second act. Let that be a surprise.

7. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Last night, I baked one of the geese that we were able to harvest.

It tasted amazing, but the meat was pretty chewy/ rubbery.

Is there any way I can avoid that next time?

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I was always told that you should consider the goose breast meat the same as a steak, and the legs and wings the same as a brisket, that came from a very old cow, and they should be cooked in that manner.

Basically section it so the breast meat is separated from the legs/wings, sear the breast and then finish roasting it in the oven, but super slow cook the legs/wings.

Or do a marinade, which will tenderize the meat.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I was always taught that you smoke the fucker twice: once in the sky, and once on the patio before you eat

12. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do any of you idiots have recommendations on a food processor you like? My old-ass hand me down finally gave up the ghost and all I'm left with currently is a tiny little two cup option that is fine for small applications, but doesn't cut it (ha, get it? CUT IT!) for bigger jobs, so I'm in the market for something new and fancy with bells and whistles.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have the KitchenAid mixer, and so does my sister. She got the food processor attachment and loves it. I was thinking about getting it, but not sure if I want to spend $150 on it. There is also a food prep attachment set for about $50 that may do what you want . . . if you have the mixer already, lol.

I think @bewildered has that mixer with some attachments? Maybe she could weigh in.

14. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I DO already have a mixer. I will check out the attachments for that as well. But I'd still like to also get a new processor because I take that with me when I have to do on-site catering jobs and it would be a lot easier to transport than a full on mixer.

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I had a big capacity Cuisinart food processor (edit to add- it is a dcl-7 pro series 14cup capacity, but probably 20 years old now) with all the slicing dicing attachments that was really great. I bought it used and it worked well for years but some plastic pieces on the work bowl broke. The motor is a workhorse and I intend to find a replacement on eBay. I never really used the attachments on the Cuisinart once I got the stand mixer but the basic food processor function was excellent.

If you are patient you can find the attachments for your mixer used on FB marketplace, or off brands for a lower entry price (they may not be as durable if you use them a lot). I have shredding attachments and juicing/meat grinding attachments. I'm not aware of an attachment that can puree the way a food processor can. I like food processing in bowl rather than it spitting out into another container, especially if you have to run it through multiple times vs just processing it longer in a dedicated machine.

#2075 bewildered, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Has anyone used an ooni pizza oven or other portable pizza oven? Thoughts?

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Got my dad one for Father’s Day last year. It’s decent, but it’s about the same as a good pizza steel, which is what I use.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What do you mean by pizza steel? Is that like a pizza stone but steel?

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Correct, and a lot better. I have the Dough-Joe.

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Never seen this before. Give me a review on this product. Why do you like it better than a pizza stone?