Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The general 2015 Fantasy Football thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by iczorro, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm joining a keeper league for it's 5th season and I've been left with the following roster:
    QB Peyton Manning
    Andrew Luck
    RB Eddie Lacy
    Brandon Oliver
    Ryan Matthews
    Frank Gore
    WR Emmanuel Sanders
    Jordy Nelson
    Julio Jones
    Michael Crabtree
    Pierre Garcon
    TE Jordan Reed
    Jason Witten
    K Stephen Gostkowski
    DEF Sea

I get to keep four players total with a max of two from any one position. Here's what I'm thinking: Luck, Lacy, Jones, and Witten. Thoughts?

2. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or should I drop Witten and keep Sanders?

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Witten is going to keep doing Witten like things. Sanders has a much bigger upside now that the Broncos are down two receiving options in Welker and Julius Thomas.

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Depends a little on your position allotment and # of teams.

I would not bother keeping Witten, though. He was the 10th best TE in the league last year, and most leagues let you play 1 TE, so you basically have the tail end of the "average" draft for a TE.

Even with Jordy out, you have 2 top-10 WRs.

Look at it this way: if you have 10 teams, each team is going to average 1 top-10 WR, 1 top-20 WR, and 1 top-10 TE. In my league, the difference between Julio Jones and the #15 wideout last year was 2 PPG. If you assume the worst case, that everyone holds onto their TEs and someone drafts Witten, and you end up with the #15 TE, you're getting a TE who averaged 0.6 PPG less than Witten.

5. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, my Google-fu is apparently failing me on this one... I've been asked to run my work's league through ESPN this year, so I set up a private league, sent out all the invites, etc. When I set it up it makes you put in a date/time for your draft, so I just haphazardly put in today's date thinking I'd change it later once we decided on a formal date. However, now when I log in, I can't seem to find anywhere that will allow me to change the date so everybody's freaking out about having to draft tonight.

Is this something that you can't change until all of your spots are filled? Because I still have a few people who haven't signed up yet and that's the only thing I can think of. The site tells me I should be able to go into draft setting and click the edit button from there, but I don't see anything that will allow me to change the settings.

6. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You should still be able to edit the draft date up til one hour before the scheduled time... and I am not 100% sure but I think ESPN would cancel your draft if the league isn't full at that 1 hr mark.
    All the draft settings should be available under the LM page on the draft tab.

edit
    after looking at the ESPN page it might be because you didn't create a league manager league

#6 Zach, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Meh, not happy at all with my draft.

Over-thought Bell's suspension and picked Lacy over him despite my liking Bell a lot more. Good WR corps, but weak at RB behind Lacy. Picked up Green Bay's defense but I'll likely be streaming week to week.

Ben Roethlisberger Pit - QB
    A.J. Green Cin - WR
    Randall Cobb GB - WR
    Eddie Lacy GB - RB
    Ameer Abdullah Det - RB
    Jordan Cameron Mia - TE
    Golden Tate Det - WR
    C.J. Spiller NO - RB
    Julius Thomas Jax - TE
    Pierre Garcon Was - WR
    Kendall Wright Ten - WR
    Dan Carpenter Buf - K
    Green Bay GB - DEF

8. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Had the 2nd pick in my work draft and am overall pretty okay-ish with my team? Took a couple of late round flyers mostly to cover for bye weeks. Like Binary, I took GB as a DST, but will likely be streaming based on matchups.

Ryan Tannehill Mia - QB
    Adrian Peterson Min - RB
    Joique Bell Det - RB
    A.J. Green Cin - WR
    Randall Cobb GB - WR
    Jason Witten Dal - TE
    Tevin Coleman Atl - RB
    Arian Foster Hou - RB
    Brandon Marshall NYJ - WR
    Kendall Wright Ten - WR
    Devin Funchess Car - WR
    Michael Crabtree Oak - WR
    Victor Cruz NYG - WR
    Joe Flacco Bal - QB
    Dan Bailey Dal - K
    Green Bay D/ST

Already got my first trade request offering up Greg Jennings for Brandon Marshall. I'm pretty WR heavy, so I wouldn't necessarily be against getting rid of Marshall, but I'm thinking I should shoot for a mid to top end RB instead.

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait what?

Greg Jennings wasn't even top-40 last season.and Marshall garnered a good ranking even being out for the last several games. I hope you laughed in his face.

10. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did. Apparently he was sending out ridiculous trade offers to everybody in the league just to see if anybody would bite. He's one of those guys.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Well, seems like McManus was a good get.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A guy in my league wants me to trade him Peyton Manning and Rashad Jennings for Drew Brees and Andre Johnson. Manning is my 1QB and Jennings was neither my 2RB or my first Flex choice. Somebody tell me why I shouldn't do this.

13. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How does Andre Johnson fit in for you?

It seems like a middling RB for a middling WR. If you're weak at WR, that might be a consideration, but it seems like a QB for QB swap with some fodder in there. Johnson is not the #1 target for Luck and Dorsett is primed to take targets away as well.

I'm not one to worry after a single week of play, but what I saw of Peyton on Sunday was a guy who is not the same QB he was 12 months ago. Combine that with a competent rushing attack, and I think Peyton doesn't hit prior year numbers. That said, keep in mind that you're betting against a guy who was the #3 fantasy QB last year even accounting for 5 straight games of mediocre-to-poor performance at the end of the season while he was injured. If he had "average" performances in those games, he would have been the #2 QB juuuust barely behind Rogers.

His ceiling is much higher than Brees, especially since his WR corps is better.

If it's me, I would do it because I really didn't like what I saw on Sunday. But you could easily be selling low on one of the highest scoring fantasy QBs over the last few years. Which is clearly what your trade partner is hoping.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes. Either one is probably a bye week flex play only.

I accepted, and exactly what you said is what tipped it for me.

Obviously, nobody knows when a 1QB or RB is suddenly ending up on IR, but even if Manning finishes strong, I'm not sure I can dig out of a 5 week hole. (And, I liked Brees having a bye week much later.)

15. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's funny, I haven't seen this in past years in my league, but apparently we have a few guys this year who are rabid about the analysts' picks (or popular redditors). A guy just dropped Gostowski for Miami's kicker which one of the redditors ranked high on his streaming kicker list. I don't think the guy understands that streaming kickers usually doesn't apply when you have the #1 scoring kicker over the last 3 seasons.

Same thing with some TEs and WRs getting dropped and added.

On the plus side, a lot of this movement has created a bunch of high-upside WR talent in free agency. That'll be nice for bye weeks.

16. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's my current team, pretty similar to my draft other than I dropped Victor Cruz for Christine Michael. No idea why other than a random shot he might break out as a heavy back in Dallas's committee.

Ryan Tannehill Mia - QB
    Adrian Peterson Min - RB
    Joique Bell Det - RB
    A.J. Green Cin - WR
    Randall Cobb GB - WR
    Jason Witten Dal - TE
    Tevin Coleman Atl - RB
    Arian Foster Hou - RB
    Brandon Marshall NYJ - WR
    Kendall Wright Ten - WR
    Devin Funchess Car - WR
    Michael Crabtree Oak - WR
    Christine Michael Dal - RB
    Joe Flacco Bal - QB
    Dan Bailey Dal - K
    Titans D/ST

Working on a trade offer with a guy that's super heavy on RB and little WR depth that would have me sending Marshall, Coleman and Witten for Eddie Lacy and Greg Olsen. I know Olsen had a terrible week one compared to Witten, but he still was a top 5 statistical TE last year, so I can't imagine he won't bounce back this year. Plus, with Foster expected to be back week 3 or 4, that would give me 3 of the top projected RBs in the entire league. Am I missing a reason not to take this deal?

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, you should do that trade immediately. Please tell me you have a flex position so you can start Lacy, Peterson and Foster every week.

18. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I do. That's why I was so shocked about the opportunity of it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking some glaring hidden mistake.

19. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean, it's not a necessarily horrible trade for him if he has a lot of RB depth, since Marshall should be good and Written will see more targets with Bryant out. But by and large, acquiring a likely top-5 player is worth trading away a lot of depth.

20. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

I just received this offer in my big money league: I give Marshawn Lynch and DeVante Parker, and receive Larry Fitzgerald and Rashad Jennings (standard scoring, no PPR). Here is my current team:
    Capture.JPG

My first instinct is that I need the receiver upgrade and that I should accept. Oh, and I also have a tentative verbal offer of Randall Cobb and Ameer Abdullah for Beef-Mo' (I'd drop Parker), which I'm split on whether-or-not has more value for me.

Thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.