Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Gardening Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by bewildered, May 27, 2017.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Christmas cactus

IMG_20230203_120813_(1500_x_2000_pixel).jpg

2. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't be the only person who thinks that plant is creepy af

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

You and my husband. He thinks that first one with the clusters of white flowers looks creepy and alien. He made a disgusted face when I showed it off.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have one a took from a cutting of an old coworker. The flowers really are stunning when they bloom. I can never get the full thing to flower at once. Usually just the side facing the sun then turn it so the other side starts.

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I think they can detect the cold draft from the window. They need some seasonal changes to bloom. I try to keep turning mine, maybe once a week. It helps the plant sense the changes more evenly and bloom at once a little better.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah certainly draftier nearer to the window. They have photosensitive needs too I think where they need less light to go into bloom like Orchids. I think they put them in the straight dark, like Orchids, to get them to flower before putting them on store shelves.

Im also trying to trying to get the hang of some pitcher plants. When I first got them I was able to get both types to produce pitchers. One was more hardy and liked light and was spitting them out. The other was very temperamental to light and temp changes. The tropical pitchers come from different altitude regains. I managed to kill of the pitchers, not the plants, and have struggled to get them back producing. I need to make a terrarium to keep it more humid around them. The garden window we have is really arrid and my succulents love it. These not so much. I also just bought a couple of American Pitcher plants that Im trying not to kill along with a venus fly trap.

#1946 Kubla Kahn, Feb 4, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The search for a solution for new raised beds has been solved. My dad found these so we’re gonna each order one. Then each year I’ll replace a current bed with a new one til they’re all newer:

9E32A680-3E74-4C7E-9C84-E32A3AE7EF85.jpeg

Cheaper than building our own out of 4x4’s as planned, and made of cedar so they’re “greener”.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Herbs have medicinal qualities, no doubt. How fast or how strongly they work can vary for so many reasons.

My neighbor has been exploring medicinal herbs. She was telling me about moullin and teasil recently. Anyway, she made oregano oil and offered it to me when I couldn't be seen for the UTI Saturday. I went ahead and took it from her. My gut screamed bullshit but I was desperate, and she's my friend who wanted to help so i took it. Ive been taking it repeatedly, and went to the clinic the next day. Well, the clinic called and told me today that there was no sign of an infection.

I have a history of UTIs, I know their signs and symptoms. I guess I could have been wrong about having one (but I don't think so, and I will finish the antibiotics ). It definitely makes me interested in using my herbs this way, rather than strictly for culinary use. I had a lot to to waste at the end of the last fall. I'm already growing the stuff, it is worth exploring.

9. binx bolling

binx bolling
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I believe we are going to be ordering a few of these raised beds from this company that has good reviews, free shipping - apparently, and was recommended by a Gardening YouTuber that I follow.

https://www.ollegardens.com/

10. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Let us know how you like those. We considered the galvanized metal beds, but ultimately went with wood for aesthetics. Plus, when they finally rot beyond any use, disposing of them is much easier. Just throw them next to the brush pile and they’ll rot back into the dirt.

11. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A few years ago our town created a community garden out of unused tennis courts. So after decades of bitching about not being able to grow anything in my yard, I’ve acquired rights to a 10x10 plot, so I’m looking for advice.

I plan to pull any remaining plants from the last owners, but do I need to turn over the soil? Any other advice for how to handle a community plot?

I plan to plant tomatoes and peppers, and maybe try carrots. Any other suggestions?

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'd probably do a quick soil test to see where you're at with ph and nutrients. Otherwise you'll never know if the previous owners over/under fertilized, etc.

Otherwise, congrats!

I usually plant cucumbers along with tomatoes, as well as some herbs (basil, etc), and some lettuce. Not sure how that all works out in a 10x10 though...

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Congrats! That will be so much fun for you.

I'm a fan of a no-till garden but there are downsides to it.

Between rows where you want to walk, you can lay sheet cardboard basically as mulch, to retain moisture and prevent weeds.

Grow some herbs. Whatever top 3-5 that you know you cook with. They tend to not be fussy and are prolific once they mature.

I personally like swiss chard. It's easy, doesn't take up too much space, and persists through the worst of the summer heat.

I'd avoid sugar/snow peas, okra, green beans, and cucumbers. Anything you need to be there on site every day or two to pick is going to go crazy while you're at home, unable to see it. Just my opinion of course.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Swiss Chard has to be the most robust and resilient plant I grow. It is insane. It will still be green while it's below zero and covered in ice. It is amazing.

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I got the idea about growing it from you, and I am glad I gave it a try. I'll always include it in my garden.

16. binx bolling

binx bolling
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

First, congratulations. I have experienced such incredible joy, interaction, satisfaction, and just peace from my community garden plot.

The soil test is a great idea and start that @Nettdata mentioned, particularly if you have a local university (they may very well do it for free).

@bewildered mentioned that she is "No-Till". I am staunchly "Pro-Till". Different climates and ecology. Ask around and see if your community garden offers a tiller to rent or if they may even do that for free, as well. I did just that earlier this Spring, and the garden plot manager tilled my whole plot for me, no fee and no problem.

Knowing what growing season you are in would be useful information.

So, if it were me who had just taken over the rights to a 10'x10' plot, here is what I would do. I would plant things that would provide me value, flavor, interest, and space.

I would not plant field crops. Things like corn, potatoes, cow peas, okra, etc. because they don't add a lot of value (they are inexpensive at the market) and they take up way too much space. A 10'x10' plot is a fairly small gardening area.

Instead, I would use at least 50 of your available sq. ft. to plant herbs. Basil, tarragon, mint, thyme, parsley, borage, chives, dill, rosemary, oregano, etc. My absolute favorite is oregano. Putting a few fresh leaves on even just a plain turkey and cheese sandwich, a quick pasta sauce, a damn frozen pizza even. The herbs add so much value (have you seen the price of a few basil or mint leaves in the store?), and take up relatively little room. Well, the basil will go nuts in a hot summer.

With the other half, or remaining area of the garden, I would probably grow as many cherry tomato, pepper, and eggplant plants that I could fit in the space. Not "bell peppers" (they are not as productive) and an Asian eggplant (smaller, more productive).

Oh, if you do plant carrots, sow the seeds very lightly, and then keep them covered with cardboard or a piece of wood for a week or so until they sprout. Keep them well damp, too.

Just my advice. I mentioned a couple of free services/tips. You'll find with gardening, as in most hobbies, that you can spend a fortune or you cannot spend a fortune. Good luck, and again, congratulations.

#1956 binx bolling, Apr 3, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m in the till baby till group but I’ve fought shitty clay soil with terrible drainage since day one. If your soil naturally allows it or you built the soil from zero, like a raised bed, then you can try no till.

I’m actually going to try grafting some of my tomatoes onto rootstock this year to see how well it works. Any have experience doing this? Anything you should know before hand?

18. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used to till and even bought a really nice rear tine tiller to make the job easier. It was still a huge pain in the ass and the clay here is so clay heavy it aint funny. I went to raised beds as well as small containers and never looked back. But to each their own.

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I used the hell out of my little electric sunjoe tiller to break ground on my Alabama garden. The soil there was heavy red clay and it was a lot of work to remove sod and break up the clay. Then, I commenced on soilbuilding.

Here, the soil has some light colored clay clods i occasionally come across but generally it is loamy and well draining. I feed and water the ducks in the main garden over winter so that they deposit all their rich fertilizer there. especially in the spring, I add the half rotten straw from their run to act as mulch and additional fertilizer. I also throw cardboard out there. The worms are fucking crazy out there, especially under the cardboard. I dig specifically where I want to plant.

This has been an interesting spring to see which herbs are perennials. Peppermint has reliably come back the last few years for me. Surprisingly oregano is coming back from the roots this year. Cilantro is a self sowing annual and the pot where the seeds fell last year is full of seedlings. Thyme might be a self sowing annual as well.

I have most of my spring plants in the ground. Just leeks left to plant. I will plant those along the skinny driveway garden bed, and when it gets warm, I will pull them and plant okra there instead.

I heard a planting idea that I am trying this year. I am trying zucchini as a later summer crop. When I start them early, they get attacked by the squash bugs. The bugs overwinter in garden debris and can fly. So if I start them late, hopefully I won't have adults in my garden waiting to attack. I'll try the summer squash in a spot I am growing cabbage. I had vowed to be done with the summer squashes because of how frustrating the bug situation was but I'll try delaying their planting to see how successful that is.

My plants inside that aren't ready for the outside temps. Peppers, tomatoes, and some select herbs.

IMG_20230403_072001_(2000_x_1700_pixel).jpg

20. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was planning on “tilling” with a sturdy rake down to about 4 inches. I’m not planting herbs because that is the only thing that flourishes in pots on my deck. Basil, parsley and thyme all do very well in pots on my deck, and I can walk outside, snip a few and toss them in the pot/pan as I please.

I’m in northern New Jersey. Nothing really grows here until Mother’s Day.