Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Gardening Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by bewildered, May 27, 2017.

1. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yeah man, let it thrive! I am constantly surprised by what happens when I let the garden do its own thing.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Hmmmm... one of my squash fruits is rotting... and it turns out that it's probably due to me over-fertilizing the bed.

Seems like I have to slow my roll.

3. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've never been able to get pumpkins to actually bear fruit, and this year I've managed to get one nice looking pumpkin to grow. It's already nice and orange though, not sure if I should leave it or stick it in the basement.

I'd probably have more but something keeps eating the blossoms and the repellent gets washed off by the rain a day after I spray it on.

4. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

My okra continues to explode, it seems impossible to kill. No wonder so many grow it, it seems bulletproof. It is well over six feet tall.

I am frankly not even harvesting it unless I have a person that wants some. I pickled more, fried more, I am about done.

The flowers are really pretty, though.

Attached Files:

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Well, the squash is going full-mutant now. The one cool thing I learned was that the feely-proby tendrils that go out and grab stuff and wrap around it to help hold the vines up are also pretty solid tap-roots. When on the ground, they form a huge spike that goes down into the ground. I was quite surprised when I tried to move the vines a bit.

IMG_5497.jpeg

Other than that, everything else is ripening up now... lots of cucumbers, lots of cherry tomatoes, boat-loads of lettuce, and more than a few full-sized heirloom tomatoes. The beefsteaks are just starting to come ripe now, and they are looking huge.

Needless to say I'm going through tons of mozzarella, olive oil, balsamic, and fresh basil these days.

6. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's pepper season around here.

Attached Files:

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nice haul!

Starting to see some minor tomato bug action, so will be spraying tonight (small slugs eating a few bits of the tops of the beefsteaks that are ripe).

Otherwise, tons of cherry tomatoes, more cukes than I can eat, and squash is taking over the back yard.

8. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This thread has ben an inspiration, so for the first time in years I'm growing tomatoes (2 plants) and peppers (1 plant) in pots on my deck.

I've posted here before about how difficult it is to plant a garden at my house: Shitty draining soil on a north facing slope, literally herds of deer feasting throughout the neighborhood, etc. And the worst aspect is the lack of sunlight. This is basically what my house/yard look like:
    red_tree___aerial_view_by_feldrand-d5rika2.jpg

The only spot that gets any direct sun, if only for a few hours a day, is the deck. So when I do try to grow something, its is in pots on the deck, and at most I wind up with a handful of tomatoes.

But not this year. Due in part to the torrential rains that have made this a shitty summer, the plants are going nuts. I'll likely get a couple dozen tomatoes and half dozen peppers - easily my biggest "crop" in the 18 years I've lived here. The first two tomatoes off the vine and a crappy picture of my tomato plants :

IMG_0473.jpg
    tomato2.jpg

So thanks, guys.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Cherry tomatoes are producing like crazy... picked up 2 small plants from the local Lowes as an impulse buy, and they grew like motherfuckers...That's the back wall of my shop, which has high ceilings, so the scale may be a bit off... that wooden frame I built is taller than I am.

IMG_5501.jpeg

The main garden is going crazy... all the romaine is done, and the squash, cucumbers, and tomatoes are going nuts. The squash had a few initial fruits chewed up by rodents (mice? squirrels?) but since then, nothing's touched them, and there are probably a dozen fruits growing like crazy off of the vines. There's one that is full size and is just starting to change colour that might be ready for picking next week... we'll see.

Meanwhile the tomatoes are going nuts... really laying the calcium fertilizer to them and there's so much fruit that my supporting fence is falling down.

IMG_5505.jpeg

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The harvest is picking up quite a bit of steam... this is today's (except for the avacado):

IMG_5510.jpeg

11. billy_2005

billy_2005
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I don't think my Kraken Scorpion or my Ghosts will fruit before frost.
    The sugar rush peach variety (example that's not my picture: https://www.rareseeds.com/assets/1/14/DimRegular/Pepper-Sugar-Rush-Peach-MA-IMG_1406.jpg) has been a winner and really nice level of heat, more than a hab, but on the sweeter side. I also have a few lemon drops that came around while I was on holidays. There are a few habaneros, but I don't think they'll ripen in time either. So I'm thinking of overwintering, but I've noticed the first appearance of my nemesis - aphids. Any suggestions? I've tried most everything available in Canada in the past and nothing really worked. Right now it's pretty much only one plant, but I know it won't be long until they've infested everything I hold dear and make it impossible to bring my favourite peppers into the house over the winter.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I had some last week take out my first ripening tomato, so I left it there to rot and sprayed it with the typical soapy "Bug B Gone" crap from Lowes/Home Depot. It seemed to do the job. Had to hit it 2-3 times a day for a couple of days (mostly because it was raining and being washed away), but overall it's gotten rid of them.

13. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I planted to jalapeno plants, which apparently means I have way too many of them. Does anyone have a good jalapeno hot sauce recipe?

14. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

15. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One jack o lantern worthy pumpkin on the vine and 2-3 more growing. Makes up for the rain and constant dampness ruining my green beans.

16. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The carrot seeds I planted a little bit ago are sprouting.

IMG_0023.jpg

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It seems like my cherry tomatoes are dying off for some reason... there are tons of almost over-ripe tomatoes EVERYWHERE, but the leaves/vines are dying off... not sure if it's just that time of year, of it there's something weird going on. Regardless, had a hell of a good haul from them so not disappointed.

Cross posted to the cooking thread, but meals like tonight are a major reason for the garden...

Tonight's theme was "Use up some of those fucking tomatoes already"

IMG_5523.JPG.jpeg

18. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do the leaves have yellow and black spots on them?

19. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is what happened to my cherry tomatoes.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No... they're just dying... like shrivelled up and drying out dying.