Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Gardening Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by bewildered, May 27, 2017.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I wouldn't.

A quick Google shows that you may be able to get away with it, depending on what the labels say:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-combine-insecticide-fungicide-same-sprayer-93909.html

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

It depends on what you are spraying. I mix neem and thuricide bt but looked it up first. It totally depends on what you're spraying.

3. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We first moved into this house two years ago and since it had been unoccupied for a long time, the first summer was basically spent bushwhacking brush and doing fun stuff like filling in a shitty old garden pool and moving bricks from one part to another to make a patio. This year I have three raised garden beds for vegetables again plus a bunch of pots for herbs and some new beds for perennials. Last year I grew an absurd amount of tomatoes and peppers and now I want to add some color to the backyard with native perennials for the benefit of our pollinator buddies. I got lucky with a spot in the yard that gets full sunlight all day and the tomaters love it. New stuff I'm trying are beans, cucumbers, beets, and carrots. Last year it was difficult to contain the tomatoes and I lost that battle, so this year I made A-frame trellises with cheap 2x2 lumber like Nett linked to and twine so hopefully I can at least get them started on that. They look like a drunk boy scout made them, which is actually pretty accurate, but they were dirt cheap to make and feel very sturdy. I also made another twine trellis for the beans and cucumbers (pickling type for ms. katokoch). I'm excited to see all the flowers I seeded start to sprout and come up. I'll post pics once things are more than just sprouts, we got a slow start here.

I am very fortunate to have good neighbors, they all garden and have been very helpful with advice and supplies. We collectively share perennials like ferns, hostas, and lillies when it comes time to split them, and one couple gets a truckload of composted soil every year to share in addition to giving me a bunch of zinnia seeds to plant. Unfortunately the landscaping vendor they buy soil from made a bad batch this year, it is just sticks and fluff and lets all the water drain through. My plants weren't dying but they just weren't really growing and I was confused 'til a neighbor visited and wanted to see if I was experiencing the same issue as them. Apparently lots of people in the Twin Cities are pissed at this supplier. The solution was to add some heavier soil around the base of the plants plus mulch on top and now all is good, I hope.

I have yet to deal with bad bugs and diseases, so far we've been clear. My primary issue is squirrels... the unrepentant little destructive robbing bastards. The dog and I are heavy handed on keeping them out of the yard (neighbors were happy to see I have a lab and let him chase stuff out of their yards too), and I haven't put chicken wire up around the beds yet but it'll happen this weekend. If anything that's to keep Buck and my brother's coonhound out. Rabbits haven't really been an issue though I don't grow tulips (yet).

Stormwater in my area drains directly into the Mississippi so I avoid applying stuff to my lawn and as a result its slightly shitty with occasional weeds. I do heavily seed and mow often, I always just mulch it back into the lawn, but having some dandelions or clover for a couple of weeks doesn't bother me. I just mow more to lop the heads off before they can go to seed. Neighbors aren't fussy either so it doesn't bother anyone. The one thing I have zero tolerance for are thistles.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yesterday I was working in the garage and some motion caught my eye, and I saw a rough looking cat scurry under my truck. After it stuck its head out to look at me, I realized it was a fucking ground hog. A ground hog. We had just mulched our front beds and it was in there digging through stuff. Now THAT is destructive.

Luckily my cat keeps the squirrels and other critters out of the yard... he'll hunt them for hours every day.

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Lucky you Katokoch...the bugs down here are a full time job to control. If it were not for the bugs, the garden would take almost no time to maintain. As on top of it as I have been, there are still little holes in all my pepper leaves. My tomatoes look great though. It has been raining a lot which makes the catterpillars more difficult to control.

We have a ton of squirrels around but the only thing they have gotten into are the birdfeeders outside and succulents I was sprouting on my sunporch. There is a gap under the door so an easy fix for that problem. I let my tomatoes ripen on the vine but try to take them a day or two before full red ripeness....just in case the squirrels get ideas. I am worried they will try one tomato and then itll be all over with.

Maybe it is too early to say, but we have had remarkably nice weather lately. It was much hotter last year at this time. Maybe the farmer's almanac was right.

6. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We get Japanese beetles that swarm on the grape vines in my yard, to the point where thinking about picking them off seems asinine, but they don't bother the tomatoes or peppers and we'll see about the other stuff I'm growing. First summer here I tried to make peace with the squirrels but they took every single tomato that grew from what was a poor harvest to begin with. Every. single. one. That's when I shifted tactics.

We're looking at a relatively hot weekend so I will need to be on top of watering.

7. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy fuck, a thread that will make my wife join.

8. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Home Depot et al sell a bag you hang in your garden that traps those fucks. Cheap, too.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I heard those things end up bringing more in than trapping.

10. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We've only had to do it twice and they did a great job. I'll double check with the wife.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Do you know where I can get s good tree poison here in town? I have a different kind of pest.

#51 Crown Royal, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  12. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That part is covered. The tree itself ( and its defence system) Make it not that simple. It's against the shared property fence so I have to take it down bit by bit just to be safe and at the same time ease the neighbour I share the fence with. Still not that hard, but the now fully-grown foliage disguises the horrible thorns all over the tree like, everywhere on it. Fall Of Hyperion-style shit. I want to kill the tree first so I can see what I'm doing when I cut it apart.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Don't quote me on this, but I hear a few big copper spikes will kill a tree dead.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5507466_kill-trees-copper-nails.html

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I know about ringing. It's pressed against the fence.

Thanks for the tips folks.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That seems like a safe one to try. I like how it's chemical-free.
    The only things I ever mix are certain plant foods/nutrients. Besides my weed spray everything I use is"safe" for the sake of dog and child. The weed spray is safe in no time, especially in the sun.

Natural weed sprays up here suck. Nett also echoed this: they suuuuck. They say "environmentally friendly". But fail to mention they "don't work".
    Natural fertilizer works, though. And if I'm mistaken can't "burn" the lawn like chemical fertilizer if you accidentally over-feed it, yes? Fertilizer is pricey as fuck here too. Even "Golf Green" in Costco today seemed like a ripoff.

My grandparent's neighbour across the street was a riot. He was ultra-OCD about the outside of his house, it was perfectly landscaped. Hey....Nothing wrong with having neighbours who give a shit and make their place easy on the eyes, right? He mowed the lawn every three days, perfect baseball chessboard pattern every time. It was in the autumn when the entertainment began, my grand parent's front picture window was a two-way mirror. So we would sit and laugh as he would run out and grab a leg whenever he saw them hit the lawn. It was amazing, like he was grabbing enemy grenades and tossing them back.

...now, not to say the man had some obsessive cleaning issues. But I'd rather look at that sparkling property than some rented house lived in by a slob family who never cleans or mows anything. And it was great fun to watch when bored.

18. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Drill a small hole in the trunk and introduce some Stump-B-Gone.

19. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The talk of hand plucking beetles, or vine borers, reminded me of something to recommend. If you are forced to pull of a bunch of critters, rather than going in by hand, arm yourself with a hand vacuum. Totally worked for me. Shop vac + hose also seems doable, but I used a hand vac.....it didn't tear up the plants.

And +1 for drilling the stump and pouring in whatever.....toytoy has it right. In fact, drill the shit out of it just to begin the destruction....it can be cathartic.

20. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's all NPK and over application can burn your plants no matter how the NPK is derived. It's also pretty difficult to scorch turf. You have to go waaay over the recommended application and/or use the wrong formulation for your lawn. The best way to avoid burn is to apply in the morning when it's cooler and go on the light side. Historically, frequent weak doses has a better overall effect than a big shot all at once.

Our tomatoes are humming along, though I'm battling a hell of an aphid infestation. It's under control with a hort oil, but it's going to take three or four applications to kill them dead.