Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Gardening Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by bewildered, May 27, 2017.

1. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here are some Hot Cherry peppers I picked today, one of my Habanero plants and my Ghost pepper plant.

IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0939.JPG IMG_0940.JPG

2. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That's outstanding, zyron!

I had one bloom of praying mantis babies, I accidentally brought one in on some marigolds that I was hardening off. I relocated him to the okra, but he was a household feature for a few days.

Attached Files:

3. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I put up 3 gallons of spaghetti sauce today....I kind of messed up. It is really tasty, but I ought have used a mill to remove the tomato seeds. Oh well. I will enjoy it anyway. Such a great harvest.

Attached Files:

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You're all making me extremely jealous... all I can do is sit here and watch green shit grow and wait for it to ripen.

I'm sure that when it does it'll come in a flood... but until then, it's almost painful.

5. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

My man, it all comes at once. Don't fret, you have done a masterful job of it....the harvest will follow.

Today I planted the fall crop of green beans and sugar snaps. While the world is crazy hot, the seeds will flourish. When they are setting produce, say September or so, the temps will allow those plants to thrive. It's a big dance with nature, and it doesn't always work, but it fascinates me.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Quite the “do nothing” day. Thunderstorms, lightning, sunshine, and occasional rain. Just hanging out in the shop watching the F1 race and looking out the shop door.

Pretty happy with the space I’ve built up in the back yard.

Next plan is to do do another bed for potatoes and other root vegetables.

The cat’s also enjoying things as well.

63B13474-9212-4441-ADB8-38A25160815C.jpeg 0E105ACB-DD53-4E02-B323-B8E6B7C389FD.jpeg

7. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Jarring up some cowboy candy, hot sweet jalapeños. Yes.....wearing gloves this time.

Attached Files:

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Very nice! I've got about 8 j-pepper plants that are just starting to show fruit... am really hoping that they ripen enough for me to jar them up before the end of the year.

My 3 Thai pepper plants are really starting to produce now. I made the mistake of thinking that they were cayenne peppers so added some to a guacamole I made, and wow, I won't make that mistake again... just a bit hotter than expected. Great taste, though.

Meanwhile... still waiting for the tomatoes to come through... cherry or otherwise.

9. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Man, those little Thai peppers are crazy hot, I have seen them raise contact blisters. They DO have amazing flavor, though.

8 plants will set a lot of peppers, never fear. Hit them with bloom booster fertilizer a day or two before any little dips in the temperature, you will be drowning in peppers.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Oh man, you guys have had great success. The produce looks beautiful!

I had a couple waves of peppers and some tomatoes, plenty of okra, but I neglected the hell out of it once I hurt my back. It rained a lot but I had my brother put away the soaker hoses. Looking forward to the reboot.

11. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The jalapeño candy turned out well, 17 jars of various sizes.

They are supposed to cure in the liquid for a few weeks to really proof out, but it is possible that I just consumed half a small jar in the name of quality control. Really tasty.

Attached Files:

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What exactly is that? Do you have a recipe?

13. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So... silly question... anyone know what this is? I planted it from seeds and I now am not sure what it actually is. I thought they were going to be peas, and maybe they are, but if so, they're not the type I was expecting... anyone have any thoughts?

IMG_5447.jpeg

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE!

I have a neighbour's cat I can use as the host...

8f492d45bb501340715099cbc99c11e6--fox-pictures-funny-animal-humor.jpg

17. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We were about 7" short on rain a couple weeks ago but we've made up for it and then some. It's rained all but a couple days the past two weeks.

I decided to pull the potatoes to make sure they didn't rot in the fround. A couple of the larger ones had, but I still got a decent yield.

20180803_110441.jpg

They're now on the cellar floor so the skins can toughen up for storage.

I had to pull some other plants due to either rot or there just being too much. Made for a happy compost pile though.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My attempts at high-density gardening seems to be working out. I received a ton of PM's/reps warning that shit was packed too close to each other and needs more room.

Instead, I opted to just fertilize the shit out of everything... probably 2-3 times the suggested amount, probably 2-3 times more frequently than suggested.

Super healthy plants so far... so colour me impressed!

The bottom row are 8-10 pepper plants that are producing some solid fruit right now, just starting to ripen up:

IMG_5450.jpeg

The main wicking bed has 26 tomato plants that have HUNDREDS of green tomatoes on the verge of ripening, along with some majorly huge lettuce, and tons of cucumbers just kicking off. Also some melons on the left, along with some peas and brussel sprouts.

IMG_5449.jpeg

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

How did you build that wicking bed and how much do you think the materials cost once it was all said and done?

I'm tempted to do the same thing for my back yard rather than deal with deer proof fencing a garden outside of it.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think you have the watering and drainage issue down which is the biggest thing of real compact gardening. The pest and disease issue is the next. You fuck around with the "organic" solutions or just go commercial grade?