Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Gardening Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by bewildered, May 27, 2017.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Apprently they remove the castings and move them into the surrounding area, so depending on how close the tower is to plants you may be able to. I don’t know, though, as I haven’t done that yet.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

@Nettdata oh yes, I remember you mentioned the worm tower a few pages back, I had forgotten about that concept. I love it, I think that does solve part of my problem, I will be installing these into my new beds asap!

Your garden looks so tidy. Are you getting rid of suckers on the tomatoes or just letting them vine? I am finding that doing the single vine up a line is more challenging that originally thought. The problem is that even if I remove all the suckers, depending on the variety, they still have a lot of equal split branching that I am having to trim. I will definitely do fewer plants in the future and maybe allow branching but no suckers.

My san marzanos already have tomatoes the size of my ripe Juliets from last year. I think I will have time for one or two good waves before it's time to say goodbye. My family and neighbors will have to take what comes later.

[​IMG]

Purple cherokee
    [​IMG]

San Marzanos

[​IMG]

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I’ve only been trimming the bottom parts of the tomatoes to keep the leaves and such out of the dirt and am trying to keep the plants up into the fencing, away from the othe ground-locked plants. I basically have one large single trunk for each tomato plant up until about 8” then I’m just letting them go nuts on their own.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah depending on the variety some tomatoes have tones of natural branching. The brandywines I have do a ton while the Opalka and GreenZebra don't. Just more reason to build the cement rewire cages. Don't have to deal with continually tying the main vine up the line.

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

That's a good point, I am adjusting my game at the new place and may end up doing those anyway. I have a bunch of coated mesh fencing we used as a temporary fence for the dogs, I might be able to get some tall metal stakes to use with them instead of the heavier cages.

6. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Got some Habanero plants yesterday so I now have 32 pepper plants.

IMG_0904.JPG IMG_0907.JPG IMG_0908.JPG IMG_0910.JPG IMG_0905.JPG IMG_0906.JPG IMG_0911.JPG

Also noticed deer tracks right next to the lettuce a couple days ago but luckily it only ate part of a flower. So I had to set up a fishing wire fence in the middle of the yard to hopefully keep it away. It worked last year so maybe it will work again.

#486 zyron, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  7. Wildquackr

Wildquackr
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have a gardening/lawn question - I'm losing a fight on bindweed in the garden and some perennial beds. This crap is just taking over. I've tried to cut it off at ground level, so that it uses it's energy to regrow, and then continue to trim it off. Read this tip on a perennial site. Yeah, not only is this not really working - it's angered the bindweed. As it is in the garden beds now too, I'm trying to avoid spraying chemicals (hippy wife). Any tips or tricks?

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... send your wife to the spa for a day.

9. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was just going to say, what she doesn't know doesn't hurt her.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Better yet, ask her for her recommendation, send her to the spa, spray the chemicals that work, and then when you see the results, praise her for her excellent recommendation.

11. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

He is starting his road trip with 6 of my plants, the ones I just couldn't let go. How many do you think will be alive on the other side?

Plumeria, Mexican bush sage, chaya, double pink begonia, Christmas cactus, Hawaiian air plant:

[​IMG]

I am hoping for 6/6 but steadying myself for the deaths to come.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt... and say all of them. And you will feel like shit for ever doubting him.

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yep. You are probably right on both counts. I am a worry wart.

14. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Picked maybe 30 jalapeños this morning, poppers for all! I am still building up ripe tomatoes for a big batch of salsa, so these lovely peppers had to be devoured some alternate way.

I know....you can barely see the peppers under all of the delicious fat laden stuff on top. That was the plan.

Attached Files:

15. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone know what could have done this? Ate everything inside of the eggplant and then left.

Attached Files:

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Too big to be a caterpillar or insect. Do you have any rodents around? Voles, mice, rats?

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, that's crazy big for insects.

18. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have 5 feral cats that I feed that are constantly around my plants. There are no squirrels even around so there is no way a mouse could do it.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Vegan feral cat?

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The picture has your hand in it but the perspective may be off. How big is the hole actually? Can you get your thumb in it or is it bigger?