Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 25, 2009.

1. kcirtap

kcirtap
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

I love seeing this thread... I grew up in Ms hunting my whole life so moving to the city was a big change.

I took my 11 year old nephew last Sat. on youth day. It was perfect we sat in the buddy stand for all of 45 mins then here he comes a nice little four point. I asked him he was ready to take the shot all he could do was shake he head yes. One shot about 40 yrds. I think I was happier then him I will never forget the day he killed his first deer and I was part of it.

2. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would be pretty wary of any red dot sight on a slug gun unless it was very high quality. As far as optics go, less is more when you don't want to spend alot. Generally a simple, straightforward optic will be better than one with a whole ton of features if both are at the same price. Putting a cheap red dot on a .22 or .223 might not be risking much, but heavy slug loads will easily rock the shit out of a red dot or scope if they aren't built to handle the recoil.

[​IMG]

This is the sight on my 870. The only tricky part to learning how to shoot slugs well with it was realizing that the rib on my shotgun is not perfectly flat- the first six inches have two angled slopes, so I was shooting low until I figured it out. Now I am comfortable shooting out to 75 yards with it.

*I should mention that the little sight was only $7. It's a Hi-Viz Spark II. Simple and effective.

3. drunkfish

drunkfish
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I duck hunt and deer hunt on family land in the MS delta. We've been teal hunting twice this year and limited before 7:00 a.m. both times. I'm sighting the rifle in for gun season this weekend. I thought it would never come back around. And like vanillagorilla said the farmer's loss will be the hunter's gain this year. Everywhere is covered in grain.

4. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From what I've been hearing, that extra grain is going to cause extra tickets for the duck hunters. It will not be considered a normal ag practice and will be considered hunting over bait.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just got back from a week out at the hunt camp.

Skunked.

Shit weather (around freezing, pissing down rain and wet snow, windy, etc). A few guys bailed on us at the last minute (hospitalized for knee infection, death in the family, etc), so we were really down on numbers.

Very little deer sign, but lots of moose.

Great time though.

Brought the laptop and a TB of torrents, the little Honda 2000 generator, tons of great food, and tons of booze.

The 2 wood stoves in the cabin sucked out all the stress for another year, and we watched a bunch of flicks and the entire run of Deadwood.

I'll post some pics later, once I settle in a bit.

Hard to believe it's over so soon.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As I mentioned previously, we got skunked, but it was a great week regardless.

This shack started off as a broom handle factory in the late 30's.

I'm the "young one" still, and this was my 21st consecutive year.

In the past 30+ years, a lot of effort has gone into making it a hell of a camp.

The beaver pond.

The kitchen with propane fridge, stove, lights, and an old wood stove.

The classic 70's cottage interior. Hasn't changed since I've been there.

Hacking up some code for TiB.

Anyone else have any pics to share?

Attached Files:

7. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think this is true as long as the crops are not manipulated. This is why farmers can leave sections of corn standing in a field and hunt over it. Should someone come in and manipulate the crops by knocking them down, then it becomes illegal. Here is a link explaining the differences.

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Doe at my grandfather's farm are quite literally that stupid. I had one move in closer to see what was going on after I missed with the first shot. Bucks on the other hand. The only time I've seen a worthy rack close enough to shoot it bolted off the second it saw me move for my gun. I was an idiot and left it at my feet after climbing up into the stand.

10. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Glad you got a chance to give it a shot, if you are missing people next year let me know, I will go up there and hunt. Isn't it cool how I invite myself places.

How do you guys hunt up there, treestands, spot and stalk?

One of my friends got a nice 4x4 mule deer (probably 170) on the strip, which is in AZ just north of the grand canyon, he had been trying to get drawn for that area for the last 10 years, after he shot it he said he is selling all his hunting stuff because he is to old but he wanted to shoot one more before he died.

11. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Always know your what's beyond your target. Crazy story. She's lucky to be able to tell it.

Article

12. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My brother in law is a guide here in Arizona for the Hookup Outfitters and he called me yesterday about 1pm and said hey you may want to come out here to Lake Pleasant because the stripers are going off, so I promptly left my office and headed out. He was not lying, they were in 2-5 feet of water chasing bait and breaking the surface. We did really good on the white chatter baits, had a large mouth and a white bass mixed in as well. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.
    [​IMG]

And since he is so competitive he has to take his pic with two

[​IMG]

13. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's what I was getting at... just didn't finish it.

14. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gotta love late dove season in Arizona, started at 7 done at 7:30. They were flying high and fast todays so I was well into my second box of shells before I got my limit of 10.
    [​IMG]

15. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sometimes when you go for it all you lose, I made a commitment to myself to throw this swimbait all day no matter what, it is a huddleston 12ROF and 8 hours and 0 fish later I left the lake.
    For big bass they say this thing is killer but no love for me.

Canyon Lake in Az is where we fished.

[​IMG]

16. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

A couple of beavers have been hard at work the past few months building a new dam, and now they have gone and flooded a shitload of the low-lying river swamp of my hunting camp. This has created a couple of great places to wood duck hunt, so I should have a few picks in the next couple of weeks.

Attached Files:

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I took this one today with my .44 Super Red Hawk. 5 Pointer. Can't wait to get the venison. I'm not the best field dresser, what are the big pitfalls of contamination from the urinal and fecal tracks??

Attached Files:

18. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Where did you hit it, heart lung or gut shot.
    If you can skin one side, and cut the 2 quarters off, cut the backstraps off and turn over and cut the other 2 quarters off.
    Then put himon his belly and make a cut and take out the tenderloin.

You dont have to take the guts out, you can just quarter it and cut the head and neck off and leave the rest.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I might have to since finding a meat processor for deer is impossible...

20. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would say that getting it skinned and quartered sooner than later would be your best bet if you are going to eat it, the longer it is not butchered, the gamier it will taste and the bacteria starts to go to work and do bad things, it should not taste gamy.

You can do it yourself, take your time and use a very sharp knife.