Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Spekkio

Spekkio
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I live in Alberta and hunt as much as possible. Which is easy for me to do, because I have indian status, and do not require tags. Everyone tells me I'm so lucky, and I know this, so don't bother. Others hate me for it, but that's politics.
    My mom moved to the middle of BC last year, and is accustomed to eating wild meat every year. She wanted a moose in the worst way. In Alberta there is a nice mixture of forest and open fields, and I have no problem finding moose to hunt. I came here (I'm at her house in BC) thinking it'd be very easy to shoot a moose here in the mountains. I was wrong. These damned mountains are vast, so I found that the moose are very spread out. I saw a grizzly bear while driving, before I saw a single moose. Walking on mountain trails in the middle of bear country is something I haven't done before, so it really played my nerves. I was sure to carry not only my rifle (which is small, only a .270) but bear spray and a large knife as well. After about five days of hunting/scouting, I finally found a place with some decent sign of moose, and even deer. I managed to find three water holes side by side, and a ton of game trails and tracks. So after two days hunting this spot, I finally got a cow moose. My mom took some pictures, but most hunters have seen a cow moose before so I wont show them.
    I'll be happy to hunt back home in Alberta again, where it's almost impossible to get lost, or attacked by bears, if you have your head on straight.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm excited, and currently in prep mode.

Have just received my Leupold VX-3L scope after having them put a custom reticle in it for me. (Who would have thought mil-dot would be custom?)

[​IMG]

Just finished sighting it in this morning, dumping 30 rounds through the A-Bolt.

Best. Scope. Ever. The field of view, and low light clarity is unholy.

Bruised the fuck out of my shoulder (light-weight, composite stalk), and still grinning like hell. Also ran a few rounds of skeet this morning with my folks, having borrowed a REALLY nice Beretta over/under. And the 3" slugs out of my shotgun (rifled short barrel) are as deadly as ever.

I've been tracking the squirrels in the back yard with the scope since coming in from the range... I think the neighbours are getting freaked. (My folks live in a nice, quiet subdivision... I'm still in my "5-acres in the middle of nowhere" headspace).

Can't wait until we head out on Saturday.

It'll be a bad week to be a deer.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

One of my favourite signs around, and it has a good bit of truth to it. Be sure to read it to the end.

[​IMG]

4. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My cousin put one of those on his Cooper .204. Fantastic scopes. My first mil-dot scope just arrived... a Mueller 8.5-25x44AO. A good scope for the money, but it wouldn't touch a Leupold. I still have a hard time thinking how they came up with the idea to scoop out the underside of the objective bell and shape the glass like they do with the VKL scopes. Whatever, they work.

5. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To me, it's much less coming up with the idea and a lot more executing it in a way so that it will still hold up to the Leupold reputation of offering some of the best optics around. I imagine developing that lens wasn't easy.

6. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They must have some pretty brilliant people working for them. I'm looking forward to getting that 36X even more now.

The day will come when I can afford to shoot with a March. Some day...

7. Spekkio

Spekkio
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Does anyone bowhunt?
    I'm having trouble switching from practice tips to broadheads. When I first did this, I found that the broadheads flew at a different speed. I tried adjusting my sights, and thought they were okay. When I tried using the broadheads later, they weren't on target again. I found that almost each arrow flew different from one another. Does anyone know why this happens, or how to fix this? I'm using a carbon 400 arrow, and a draw weight of about 60 pounds on a Mathews Switchback. Should I use stiffer arrows, such as 300s? I have no problem with mechanical broadheads, and use them when hunting deer, but heard that they do not work as well with larger animals such as elk. Is this true?

Also, I've been practicing with my recurve bow (Big Bear, fixed limbs, 45 pounds). I'm quite consistent at 20 yards, and not bad at 30. I'm thinking of hunting with it next year. Does anyone have experience hunting with a recurve? Interesting stories?

8. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

This is a terrific thread. I have been hunting for a few years now, as it runs in the family. Any season that comes up, I go out and use it. If I could be a hunter and make good money off it, I would do it in a heart beat. We recently finished a terrific duck hunt this past weekend. Trying to fill our limit, we comes closer with every day. In the off season of deer turkey and game birds, we try to keep up the population of everything else by weeding out the every growing predators. Using the 22-250 I have taken out some nice size coyotes which I am hoping will up the deer count. Deer, bear, moose, rabbit, turkey, duck, goose, partridge, pheasant....any questions with hunting or recipes I'd be more than happy to help. When hunting is all said and done, I do fish, but not a big fisherman. Aside from hunting and fishing, trapshooting, skeetshooting, sporting clays, 5 stand and other shooting sports is where I am at. I am big on shotguns, but i still know a thing or two about rifles. If anyone is interested in getting into the sport, I'd be happy to field any questions.

9. Rusty_Shackleford

Rusty_Shackleford
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdo ... anchO7DiUs (You shouldn't have register)

Take a lesson from this article and be careful at what you shoot at for opening weekend. There is no reason to shoot at something because there is rustling in the bushes. Everybody here should know how to spot what they see in the scope and provide a clean kill to the animal. Good luck to everybody and big bucks to everyone. Hopefully, I get a big North Dakota doe in a couple weeks.

10. JackNickel

JackNickel
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

November 1 Fishing Report - Put in at Johnson's Bayou, Louisiana, fished under the birds on Sabine Lake, then the shoreline, then up in some smaller bayous. Caught 16 Speckled Trout, 1 solid 5 pound Redfish (missed a few more reds). Here's a pic of Dad at the helm.

Attached Files:

• Dad.jpg
      Dad.jpg
      File size:
      54.7 KB
      Views:
  11. JackNickel

JackNickel
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don't hunt much anymore, mainly I love target/skeet/trap shooting now, but did you know the first day of Deer season is the favorite day for . . . fishermen?

No crowds at the marina, ramps, and not as many boats hauling ass everywhere. The fish can relax and get caught by. . . ME!

All the boaters are relaxing in their Deer stands.

12. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Except for the duck hunters.

13. JackNickel

JackNickel
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Just finished washing down the boat, hit Sabine Lake early today, fished under the birds and caught 6 nice speckled trout quickly, then the birds scattered and fished the Louisiana shoreline, picked up a nice Redfish, my old man picked up 2 solid flounder. Saw a family of otters, plus lots more Hurricane Ike flotsam up in the Bayous, a dumpster (??) in the middle of the marsh, a trailer upside down, wonder if there is a boat attached underneath. Birdwatcher's paradise, Spoonbill Rosettas, Brown Pelicans, Cranes, Herons, just amazes me how many huge birds there are in the marsh.

That's why they call it "funemployment" I guess. Now on to the job search.

14. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The more I think about my upcoming (and first) deer hunt, the more I think I'm going to need to have better sights on my shotgun to make a good clean hit. My eyes aren't exceptional at long distances and the bead sight is going to be tough to use in low light conditions. At this point, I'd be wary of shooting at a deer outside of 35 yards or so.

I did some searching and found these TruGlo sights (http://www.truglo.com/content/products/ ... xtreme.asp). They're detachable, but they have mounting plates that run underneath the vented rib and secure with screws, not the magnetic ones, which seem like they'd work loose with recoil. I also found them at cheaperthandirt.com for about $45 shipped.

They seem like a decent inexpensive option, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought about them. Are they gimmicky, or do you think that they'd work well?

15. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Truthfully, I think you need to practice. It's not the sight or the ammo or the shotgun (with the exception of a rifled barrel) that will make you a better shot at this point- it's you.

16. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Like Vanilla said, practice... then practice some more.

That said, I use Truglo sights on my turkey gun. I have the T950G http://www.truglo.com/content/products/ ... turkey.asp on a Franchi I-12 and they work quite well, even in low light.

[​IMG]

17. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree, practice is the best thing I can do. I've only had the chance to shoot about 3 boxes of slugs through the gun and I do ok with the bead sight in full daylight (about 5 in. group at roughly 35 yards). I'm just having trouble getting used to the bead sight (which, I understand practice will help). I shot a buddy's shotgun that has a smoothbore barrel with rifle sights at the same distance and did much better, so I feel like they'll help me with accuracy as well as in low light.

18. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don't know how everyone else is doing, but the update from our hunt camp is not too good. Opening day was looking promising and it did turn out results. All we saw was a small buck, just spikes. Not knowing if anything good was coming, we took it. Tuesday did not prove to be any better, as we started to lose our hunting group.

Earlier on in the pre rut, while I was duck hunting I came accross a few pretty large deer. Also went and rewired all 500 acres of the property over the weekend, to warn other hunters to stay out. Hopefully the big buck I saw earlier on will show up.

Hope everyone else gets some good results

19. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Practice, practice, practice until you have confidence in your gun.
    I would say a majority of your issue right now is between your ears, you don't think you can shoot past 35 yards so you have already defeated yourself and your right, you can't.

Sounds to me like you just want some justification to buy new sights, so go buy some new fucking sights and go practice so you can kill something.

20. jordan_paul

jordan_paul
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Buy yourself a good red dot for your slug gun. It works great in low light, has different sight types (crosshairs, single dot, triple dot etc) and if you sight it in properly it works great. I have a real nice Trijicon Reflex on my Benelli that I got on sale at Bass Pro, and i can shoot a 4 inch spread at 60 yards.