Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 25, 2009.

1. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: And one more that is NSFW

Nice elk.

When I say sharpen, what I mean is touch it up with a diamond sharpner for about 10 seconds, it keeps a very sharp edge on the blade and I never have to do any sharpening besides the touch up on the blade while cleaning the elk. Any kind of knife cheap or expensive will perform much better if you keep the edge touched up while cleaning game (fish or elk) I cut hundreds of pounds of tuna every year and have used the same knife for years, every time I cut a fish, I spend 10 seconds with the sharpner, it makes cleaner cuts, cuts faster and saves the knife.
    I would challenge you to try it, you can get them at sportsmans wharehouse for $12-15, if you don't agree it makes the knife perform better I will buy the sharpner from you and use it myself.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone know any good online resources for surf fishing? I get to go once a year to Florida over Christmas on vacation. I'm pretty novice as far as it comes to fishing and I have a lot of questions.

Also, I haven't hunted deer in a while and the deer stands my dad built at my grandpa's farm are dangerous just to look at. What are the good quality or reasonably priced "climber" stands? Anyone use them?

3. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you live near northern AZ I will give you the gps coordinates of a tree stand we hung a few years ago, it is a very nice one and has not been used as I am a pusssy and very afraid of heights. It is only a 2 mile hike to it.

If you are buying a tree stand you need to go to an outdoor store that has them and see what you are comfortable with, then go online and buy that model.

Not all stands are equal, a guy that is 5-6 160 pounds needs a different tree stand than a guy who is 6-4 290 pounds. You may be in that thing for a while so you want something that you can spend long periods of time in relative comfort.

Again that is coming from a guy who is afraid to go in my own, so take it for what it is worth.

4. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: And one more that is NSFW

Ah. I took that to mean that you were actually sharpening it. I'm sure touching up the blade every few minutes would help speed up the process for skinning larger game.

5. JackNickel

JackNickel
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

My old man and I went fishing Monday, in the marsh about 10 miles south of Hackberry, Louisiana, near the Calcacieu river. The annual Flounder run. Caught some, had a blast even though the wind was blowing. I'll upload pictures when I get a chance.

6. taste_my_rainbow

taste_my_rainbow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just started deer hunting last year*. Although, I have killed a deer and a wild turkey with my car. My dad is part of a hunting club... I leave the gutting to the men but I help with everything else. When I do finally get my first deer, my dad has made it clear that it's all up to me. (The idea - if you kill it, you clean it)

*Yes I'm female and I've been shooting guns since I was about 12. I'm pretty much the last girl you would ever think would be a better shot than most men. I'm slaughtering a woodland creature the first chance I get. Then I'm gonna eat it.

7. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I feel like a retard, but when someone says, "I shot a 150 class deer," what does that mean? I've tried looking it up and nothing gives any definitive answer. When my father shot a deer it was either a buck (with a description of the number of points), or a doe. So I've never been exposed to any class system until now, and that seems like the most popular way to describe a deer.

8. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

150 class refers to the number of inches that the buck's rack measures.

9. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From head to tip for each antler and then add the two together? Width? 150 can't possibly mean 150 inches, can it? I'm confused. Sorry.

10. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Check out figure A, B & C, those are the measurements you take. Then you add all of that together.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRec...sp?area=bgRecords&type=Typical+Whitetail+Deer

11. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The guys I hunt with aren't scientists, so we just count the points and include a basic size description.

For instance:

"That was a fucking huge 12 point."

"That was a pathetic 6 point."

13. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's how we usually describe them.

14. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No problem. I hate that deer descriptions have gone from "fuckin' huge 12 point" to "150 class buck" and I'm guilty of doing that too.

Hunting shows have ruined this great sport.

15. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly, I'm not going to use the class/score system myself. I think it over-complicates something that can be described much easier by describing number of points/approx. weight, etc. I just wanted to know what the hell this guy I work with was talking about when he comes back from hunting spouting 140s and 160s at me.

I like the "fucking big 12 point" system. It's what I grew up with.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Half the fun in camp is the fight over the buck-pot. Bring in a scientific measurement system and it kills that off.

I still remember the guy (who wasn't invited back the following year) that had a 10 point, tied for biggest with one of our long-time guys, and they were giving him the gears pretty good, because his buck was a monster, probably 50+ lbs bigger, and the rack was twice the size but it was still 10 points, same as the other, sickly buck.

We pushed him so hard, and he got so pissed off about it, that he went out, in the dark, and shot the rack of the "sickly" buck, making it a 7.5 point buck. Came in fuming and said, "there... I fucking win".

Never mind the look on his face the next day when one of our other guys got a 12-point. Went up to Mr. 10-point, and said "I fucking win."

Hilarious.

17. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice to know others have had the experience with "that guy" who doesn't get it and is not invited back.
    There is probably a thread of stories of "that guy" that has been on hunting and fishing trips.

Like we say on multi day fishing charters, if you can't find the asshole on the boat, go look in the mirror.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

NO SHIT.

There have been a core group of 16 of us over the past 20+ years at our camp, and every so often one of the group will invite someone out that they think will fit in.

Those guys, and the reasons why they weren't invited back, are things of legend. We may have hated them for the week they were up there, but man, they sure live on for a long time in the stories that keep getting told and re-told.

19. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went to a school that was for all intents and purposes in the woods and the deer haven't been hunted in about 6 or 7 deer generation.

You all would go fucking mad seeing them, as they have become somewhat docile, to the point that you could kill one with a knife. Just put out some bananas, and wait for them to get close.

Well, being fucking retarded from not having been culled in I don't know how long, they run out into the streets often, and will get hit.

I once saw some hippie who had hit a young buck, couldn't even count it as a 4 point, bawling her eyes out, and some girl I was with said "well that is a shame"

I agreed with her and said "yeah, she should have held out for at least a 6 point to make a nicer trophy for her room".

The friend did not appreciate that.

20. Psychodyne

Psychodyne
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

That's why those guys are worth the hassle. They inevitably do something(s) that will give everyone a chuckle remembering them.

One year my uncle brought a guy he knew with him. I was 17 at the time, and I can't remember how my uncle knew him. This dude was the biggest, baddest motherfucker in the woods. Just ask him, he'd tell you. The size and quantity of the deer he's killed was a testimant to his greatness.

As luck would have it, he shot a deer. A medium sized doe. As we all meander back to the vehicles toward dusk, we see him there all proud as anything. As he starts telling us of his hunting prowess, I take a look at the deer, and ask "hey, why didn't you gut it? You drug it all the way here without dressing it? Heh." He answered in the affirmative, claiming he hadn't been hunting in a couple years, and wanted a refresher, but since I was there and was the youngest, I could go ahead and do it. Sorry dude, you can gut your own deer, but I'll walk you through it.

After it's done, and we get the deer in the truck, he walks back over to the gut pile, pulls out the liver, says "this is why I love being a man!", and takes a big 'ol bite out of it. Now, I'd heard of this happening, but I'd never actually seen it. Mainly because it's disgusting. I hate liver cooked. Anyway, he's smiling, while taking a couple good chews, but then gets this "oh shit" look on his face, and promptly barfs. And barfs. And then some more. Every time we'd think he was done he'd start again. I don't know exactly what he was expecting the experience to be like, but I'm guessing he didn't find what he was looking for. It probably didn't help that we were all laughing our asses off, but helping wasn't first on our minds. As it ends up, he finally stops, and after we registered the deer and got back to camp, he went straight to bed without a word. The next morning he was gone. He left the deer, which was nice of him, but he was history. To the best of my knowledge my uncle hasn't heard anything from the guy to this day. Because of this, we all make sure to remind each other, in a very serious tone, whenever one of us is dressing a deer "Hey remember, don't eat that liver."

That's some quality advice right there.