Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The 'Finale' thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Bob Trousers, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

So, I just got done watching the final episodes of 'Friends'-I'd seen them before, but watching them tonight made me realise what a superb ending to a great show that was.

People may knock it, but other than them all staying as they were I can't see how it could have been wrapped up more perfectly-they left the door open to future things without it feeling like that was what they intended. On the flip side, I also watched the season finale of Nip/Tuck-fuck me, that was lame.

You get the drift-comment on the above, add your own-whatever.

MOD Edit: Format your replies as follows:

Title of Show

Commentary on finale

2. mad5427

mad5427
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Shield

I was really happy with how The Shield ended. Very fitting that Vic would be the only man left standing, but at a cost to everything he ever held dear, most importantly his job. He still had one, but it wasn't going to be fun. He was confined to hell with no family and no friends. Just brilliant.

Seinfeld
    Seinfeld might have had the worst ending of a show ever. If I never see it again, I'll be just fine.

3. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have to agree with Bob. I really liked the finale of Friends. (And the whole series).

Scrubs

It took Scrubs two tries, but they ended up getting it right. The fairy tale ending of season 7 was pretty bad. Season 8's finale was much better in every respect. I still watch the last clip every so often because I like it so much.

And, of course, season 9 doesn't even count as Scrubs.

4. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Scrubs

Agreed. Completely. The eighth season's ending was perfect. That's how the series should have went out and I hate that they crammed in another season. I mean... I did watch said season and it did have a few good laughs, but it wasn't the same.

Arrested Development

I've always hated how Arrested Development ended, but I do understand that the show didn't end on its own terms.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seinfeld

I didn't like that it was basically turned into a big clip show. But the concept of the story line made a lot more sense then ending it any other way. Were they really going to have an ending where they all lived happily ever after Jerry marrying Elaine and George and Kramer finding success? Some sort of MASH ending? Right... I think them getting their comeuppance for years of self centeredness yet still not ever learning their lesson. Concept was great execution was wrong.

Sopranos
    I also thought the much contested Sopranos finale was a really fitting end. We got to see a huge mafia war and life went on for the Sopranos. Just like life goes on. Did Tony live or die? People got so fucking worked up about it is was comical and it really wasn't the point.

6. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Shield

The best series finale I've seen in the past few years, all things considered, has been "The Shield".

Unlike "LOST" or "Battlestar Galactica", which both had fervent followings and heightened expectations, "The Shield" ran up to its end with every ounce of tension the show was always known for. You weren't aware during the last hour that you were watching the "last hour", rather just watching the tensions between Vic/ICE and Shane/LAPD coming to a head. "LOST" and "BSG" both had fine finales but necessarily had to bring their respective universes to an end. "The Shield" simply marked the end of Mackey's career, not the end of Farmington or the Barn.

Apples and oranges in a way, but it still gets my vote.

7. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Wire

The best series finale I have ever seen was HBO's "The Wire." It left me so completely satisfied I was astonished. Not only was it a perfect ending to a great season but they managed to do a montage at the end that gave a glimpse of almost everyone of the living characters.

It was believable, surprising and suspenseful as well as being incredibly engaging. It made you said to lose the show. One of the most impressive things it accomplished was giving an in depth view of poverty, it even showed the cycle the people go through. It showed a gangster ending up dead and a kid going from a child to becoming the next gangster.

If you have never seen any of these shows do yourself a favor and rent or buy all of them it is one of the most gripping dramas ever produced.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

MASH
    M*A*S*H's ending will always be the 400 lb. Gorilla of series finales- it simply will never be topped. If you watched the show (I did through reruns) you'd see. It would satisfy just about anybody.

Cheers
    Cheers was okay, with Sam and Norm the last two in the bar talking about Sam's only true love- his bar, then Sam telling an unseen customer "Sorry, we're closed."

Friends
    The Friends finale sucked in my eyes. Gooey, with an abrupt all-too-tidy wrap up.

Transformers
    I remember the Transformer's cartoon finale when I was a kid- Optimus and Megatron shaking hands with Megatron saying "The war is over, Prime. We both won." Heart-tugging to say the least.

Married With Children

Married with Children's finale was the worst of all (it wasn't SUPPOSED to be the end of the series) with Kelly ditching her husband at the altar to remain a filthy slut. The end. (The show sucked since Steve left, and you know it)

9. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Wire
    I think 'The Wire' season Finale was the most complete wrapped up, satisfying Finale the show could have. They executed exactly what they wanted to do and wouldn't go back to change it.

Scrubs
    The actual Scrubs Finale was actually pretty pleasing. They had 1000 characters on that show, and they brought all of them back, even showed the consultants and the real JD.

LOST
    The Finale of Lost...wow. Well, I think it did what the creators wanted it to do. If you watched the preview, all they talked about was characters, characters, characters. The ending wrapped up the emotional aspects of Lost with the characters.

10. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Deadwood

I realize that you can only do so much since its based on history and beyond that not supposed to be the finale but for three seasons their enders build up all of this tension and release it like a slow wet fart in church. Fucking awful odoriferousness with no redeeming properties for the person that spawned it. All you want to do is look over and say "You fuck. You just ruined something that could have been so good. Now we have to sit here in the humid air of your colon passings. Cunt"

11. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Scrubs

I couldn't agree more about the finale. I actually thought all of Season 8 was a step up from season 7, and it was good that the show went out on a high note. I refuse to acknowledge the 'last' season of Scrubs.

Nip/Tuck

I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't necessarily this. The last few seasons weren't good, but I was really hoping they'd pull SOMETHING good out for the finale. They really didn't.

Seinfeld

It was okay, not great. I really don't know of a truly satisfying way that they could have ended that series, though. We'd hate it if Jerry ran off and married Elaine, we'd hate it if George wound up being successful at something, we'd hate it if Kramer got a real job... in the end, this is one of the few shows that I think could've gone out by just making it any other episode, with everything returning to normal at the end, so you know that these four will just continue on their little lives after the show ends.

ER

I honestly stopped watching this show after about season 7, but my wife was a huge fan, so when she said it was the last season, I figured why not check it out. I like that Carter returned, and it ended with Carter playing a bit of a mentor to Dr. Greene's daughter. I might've liked it more had I cared about some of the newer characters (I fucking HATED Abby), but it was okay, not great.

Dinosaurs

Anyone remember this show? I watched it as a kid, including the finale, and it fucked with me. Even as a kid, I knew the dinosaurs all died eventually, but to end the show that way? That was pretty a pretty fucked way to end a series.

Finally...

This ending sucked. No real shockers, nothing ground breaking, and it felt like the show went out on more of a whimper than the absolutely amazing first two seasons (including the awesome first season finale) deserved. Instead of taking what was the only proper way to end that series (with Jack dying), they kept him alive to keep the cash cow going by making a movie.

12. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Six Feet Under
    I don't think I have ever seen a show close the way this one did. The whole final season was an amazing way to tie it all up. The last 9 minutes of that show still get me to tear up a bit. Every character had a resolution in the last episode, even Nate who was dead. I feel like I know the Fisher family in real life.

LOST
    At first I was not totally satisfied with the ending but it has grown on me. It was all about the characters, I wasn't so into having to know the answers because I got into the show a year ago and sped through the episodes. Therefore I didn't have to wait weeks, months, sometimes years to find out why certain things happened in the show. For people like me, it was a great ending to the show.