Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Drawingboard

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Roxanne, Apr 14, 2010.

1. SBSam

SBSam
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

2. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty sure replies are ok in this thread, but if not, fuck it. That's really cool, man. I've enjoyed following your work on this forum a lot.

3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I'll second this. For anyone that hasn't checked out this man's work, I really suggest you do. He does some incredible stuff.

4. SBSam

SBSam
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Thanks a lot guys... that's really nice of you to say.

5. mad5427

mad5427
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a little bit of a different style of art than typically posted. I recently found out that I was shortlisted for an international architecture competition. This is huge for me. I've only known two other people that have been shortlisted on an international competition. This can make someones career. The project's goal was to address a lack of affordable housing for single occupant users, in developed nations, mainly in cities with over 100,000 residents. This also needed to be achieved for $30,000 not including land. Very tall order.

My proposal is not the flashiest of the finalists but that was my intention. $30k doesn't go far and I stretched it as far as I could. My plan tries to make the interior spaces feel as large as possible, especially with such a small footprint. The exterior facades, clerestory and plan are broken in all 3 axis to also give an illusion of greater size. The forms also were meant to have a contemporary look yet fit seamlessly into the turn of to mid-century existing homes surrounding it. I propose to use infill properties that are too small for standard residential construction. The existing homes that used to be on these properties were all demo'd 10-15 years ago due to neglect. The neighborhoods are being rehabbed and this type of home could have a place in this new urban fabric.

Here is a link to my competition entry.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=399591143424104&set=a.399573886759163.82201.145666808816540&type=1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater</a>

If you like it, please check it out and click the photo to go directly to the competitions shortlist folder and like it there and share it through Facebook. They haven't said whether this will affect the outcome and winner, but any help would be appreciated. They just posted the most popular of the student submissions so popularity might be coming into play here. I'm hoping it's based purely on the jury selecting the truly best and most viable project and not most popular, but who knows. There are some other great entries as well. What sets my submission apart is that it maintains a high level of sustainability while being realistically build-able for such a small budget. Some of the other entries are so amazing to look at but the detailing along would be 15-20,000 of the budget. Others have the greatest intentions by shoving every "green" element as possible, but realistically, most would be out of range of the $30k. Photovoltaic panels aren't feasible on $200/sf projects. I had great difficulty achieving $65/sf and that would include utilizing re-purposed materials if possible.

The beauty of this competition versus many others of its type is that they will actually be building the winner. More often than not, they are just idea generators. This will actually lead to something. The winner's project will be built and published all over the place and the top ten projects are going to be published and compiled into a book.

6. SBSam

SBSam
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I did a couple of preliminary sketches for an upcoming project. The deadline's coming up fast so hopefully I'll have the finished images next week.

Attached Files:

7. SBSam

SBSam
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Here's one of the final drawings. A quick question for you guys -- is the reddened version too cheesy? Is the non-reddened version too plain? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Attached Files:

8. SBSam

SBSam
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Here's the second image for the project. They're for a new Danish record label.

Attached Files:

9. numeric

numeric
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Cypripedium orchid flower at the Lake Como Conservatory. Watercolor.

Attached Files:

10. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only nice thing to come out of my accident is that I've gone back to being a hermit and doing nothing but playing video games and drawing, all of which are relaxing and non-problem-causing.

This is a WIP for a friend, whose friend is going to get a mastectomy next week. Her three favorite things are bats, Jack Daniels, and her boobs, so this is a picture to commemorate all of those. The pose/swimsuit was taken off one of those old pinup photos.

Attached Files:

11. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another Christmas present picture. Friend's boyfriend's favorite dinosaur is a Utahraptor.

Attached Files:

12. SBSam

SBSam
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Part of the design for a mural we're working on at the school I teach at in Cairo.

Attached Files:

13. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

WIP on the color, which is only...four months late. Whoops! At least it's nearly there. Can't really decide how to make the swimsuit look better though.

Attached Files:

• tara.png
      tara.png
      File size:
      325.8 KB
      Views:
  14. SBSam

SBSam
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I got a commission to make a large scale version of one of my existing sculptures. The finished piece is going to be 6 feet tell and will be made of 125 separate steel rods. Oh, and I only have a week and a half to make it. Here's a progress photo.

Attached Files:

15. SBSam

SBSam
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Here's some photos of the final sculpture. This is a tough one to get a sense of without seeing it in person so I made a short video that shows the sculpture from different angles. You can see that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz9lWQcMkLk

Attached Files:

16. SBSam

SBSam
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Had a nice leisurely morning last weekend here in Cairo, so I decided to continue drawing on my guitar with a sharpie.

Attached Files:

17. SBSam

SBSam
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Welding mask before and after. Neiko is a great quality affordable mask. It also just so happens to come with a half american flag half bald eagle on it. Which normally is awesome. But due to everything happening in Cairo these days, I thought it prudent to give it a paint job. Hey, even religious extremists like Jules Verne, right?

Attached Files:

18. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Great job on the welding mask SBSam. What technique did you use to paint it?

19. SBSam

SBSam
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Thanks a lot! I primed it with gesso and then just painted it with acrylic paint. I'm afraid it's going to crack and peel once I start welding with it, but I guess we'll see what happens.

20. cdite

cdite
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Cracked and peeled it how it should look, gives it character. I'll take a picture of a co-workers hood when I get a chance sometime this week. He bought it from a co-worker of his almost 20 years ago and has been using it since.