Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Drawingboard

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Roxanne, Apr 14, 2010.

1. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Nicely done, man. Simple, elegant, clean. I like it.

And yeah - some carving needs to be done with a mallet, but free form shapes like what you've done here shouldn't have to be. Hold the gouge with both hands, left palm down right thumb up, with your right hand pushing forward and your left hand holding steady or even pushing back for control.

I can't take a picture if I'm using both my hands, but I'll try to get someone to take one for me later and I'll post it up.

For really deep cuts like a mortise, I'll sometimes use my chin in cupped hands to push (neck muscles are strong), or my breast bone with both hands around the chisel for control. You can generate a surprising amount of force and control that way, and you're still doing much less damage to the edge of the tool.

2. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dug up a few old drawings from my figure drawing class in Sydney.

Attached Files:

3. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Roxanne, you're a badass.

Here's that photo of a good way to hold a carving gouge:

I need a bed for my new place, dug up an old headboard idea. I'm thinking of a deep rich red or blue automotive finish...

Attached Files:

4. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sharpness is important to me when you're carving wood. I have a bunch of planing chisels, a couple planers, a spokeshave, and I use razors too. I work with a variety of wood and the majority of it is hard walnut with a lot of grain and minerals in it- stuff doesn't let the blade stay sharp for too long. I got a 3-stage diamond hone kit and a sharpening jig to keep the blades at a perfect angle and making the blades razor sharp with them is easy and fast. I use the soft backside of an old belt as a strop. It's safer and requires a lot less effort to use a sharp blade. I keep a separate set of chisels for working with carbon fiber so those can get eaten up (cheaper chisels) and my nicer set of chisels is used just for wood. As soon as they no longer have an edge that's easy to cut with, I give them a quick hone and strop.

5. SBSam

SBSam
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Wow, I was doing it exactly wrong. Probably explains why I split one of the gouge's handles straight through. Thanks so much for the tips. Any advice for sharpening gouges? I also had a tricky time putting the finish on it, since it seemed like a lot of the carved-away portion was endgrain it just sucked up the oil. Tough getting it to match the flat parts of the bookshelf.

Can't wait to see the headboard -- I love the design.

6. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just a centurion riding a unicorn.

Attached Files:

7. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is absolutely insane:

#67 Diablo, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wrong thread.

9. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

[​IMG]

A quick drawing, so I wouldn't start going mad working on some more detailed drawings. Sometimes it's fun to just finish something in under two hours.

10. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Friend of mine wants me to help him with a comic. SHIT TAKES FOREVER. Anyway I always like looking at stuff when it's in progress, so I thought I'd throw this up here.

Attached Files:

• p1.jpg
      p1.jpg
      File size:
      164.6 KB
      Views:
  11. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wheee.

Attached Files:

• p1.jpg
      p1.jpg
      File size:
      228.7 KB
      Views:
  12. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Final product of the comic and a quick study of Gemma Ward.

Attached Files:

• ward.jpg
      ward.jpg
      File size:
      119.1 KB
      Views:
    • p1.jpg
      p1.jpg
      File size:
      255.6 KB
      Views:
  13. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Time for me to jump on the 'stuff in progress'-bandwagon which Roxanne started (which looked great, BTW). I even provided some commentary, should some of you find that interesting. It's a portrait of my sister, which I'm planning on giving to her on her birthday.

[​IMG]

Not exactly a first sketch. For some reason I did one half of the hair first. While one half is almost finished, the other one is still really rough. But you can see how her hair flows and where the darker and lighter parts fall. Her face is textured for the first time, so the light parts are prominently showing while the shadowed parts are too light.

[​IMG]

This one was scanned with some different settings, that's why it's a bit darker. But the hair is almost finished. I textured her face once again and added details to her eyes. Then I smoothed the rougher lines in her face. Which I later had to correct.

[​IMG]

Finished her hair, tracing all the lines once again with a mechanical pencil. I sharpened some features on her face, which faded away in the second stage. Especially around her cheekbones, chin and mouth. I also tried adjusting her nose a bit, which seemed a bit off to me. But considering the fact she's my sister and the whole family has kind of a weird nose, I stopped fretting about it.

Then I gave her hand more details, shaded the hell out of it and drew the rest of her body. Which I finished surprisingly fast.

14. Bread Mustache

Bread Mustache
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

In honor of the 7th anniversary of LOST. Dharma All To Hell

Attached Files:

15. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

xrayvision asked for a desktop, so I doodled this and made it in desktop form.

Attached Files:

16. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Supposed to be a quick practice sketch from a reference, got bored and colored it. Not a self-portrait, in case that was a question.

Attached Files:

17. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Drew this for a friend. Harry Potter fan art! I always thought Ginny would be the hot one.

Attached Files:

18. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Adding to a string of ladies.

Attached Files:

19. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

THIS IS NOT MY ART!
    This is a picture of a picture.
    This is a canvas print that I just got from a good friend of mine. It's Lady Luck, and it's hanging on my wall right now.
    You can see more of Cat Garza's work at www.magicinkwell.com.

Attached Files:

20. SBSam

SBSam
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Life's weird. A few months ago, I got a job teaching at an international school in Cairo, so that's where I'm going to be living for the next two years. It is a crazy, huge, complicated city. I've been carrying around a sketchbook to put down some impressions whenever I can. These are all done with ballpoint pens and the occasional highlighter.

Attached Files: