Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Aetius, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This thread needs to start off with a bit of a clarification and warning as such. The no politics rule is still in effect, but obviously with regard to these two shows it's going to be a continual grey area. With that in mind understand that while no bannings will come about through crossing that line too often (although if it just keeps happening over and over you may be banned from this particular thread) posts will be deleted aggressively. Don't take it personally. As a general rule, if a post you make isn't about the way TDS or TCR reports on, or jokes about, an issue, but rather about the issue itself, it'll get deleted.

Other than that keep it lighthearted and have fun.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lawdy lawdy the dismantling of Fox News was good. Not quite Jim Cramer level, but solid. I'd put it on par with the bit about Nancy Grace after the charges were dropped in the Duke Lacrosse case.

3. Benzilla

Benzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Jon Stewart took Glenn Beck apart earlier this week. I knew I was watching Daily Show history when they rolled out the blackboard.

4. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched the Glenn Beck thing in a bit of shock because I can't recall Jon Stewart staying in character solo for that long before. I find him to be the better writer/stand-up vs Colbert as a great performer. Thought Jon did a great job and it's nice to see the show grow a bit.

It's sweet to have this thread too.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The way I've always looked at it is that Colbert is a better pure comedian, but Stewart is a better satirist (although they're both above average at both).

6. Benzilla

Benzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Hot, radioactive, Qom! (starts around 3:00)

I thought of something along those lines when they presented the clip but I thought TDS would try to take the high road. They didn't, and I'm happy because of it.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If you ask me, If Stewart spen the entire half hour of his show every night ripping Fox News a new one in the hilarious way he does, it still wouldn't be satisfactory enough. That "network" is Thunderdome for the retarded. I just wish he was on ealier in the night so he could expose what a bunch of two-faced liars they are to a wider audience. I was infuriated when they pawned off global warming and climate change the other day as if it's some scientific hoax. Let's see them laugh off their 120% poll when the sun fries us like ants under a magnifying glass.

Fox always claims that most of the people that take their monstrously idiotic polls are on "their side". Well, sometimes "most people" are dead wrong.

8. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stewart = Smart Funny | Colbert = Stupid Funny (note: I didn't say Colbert was stupid)

Smart Funny > Stupid Funny

Or at least that's how I see it. Colbert's whole style really bugs me sometimes, so maybe that's it...

9. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I made an attempt to watch the Colbert Report for the first half season it was on. I never made it past the first 4 minutes. Annoying as shit. Granted, I've seen some funny clips from that show, but I'm comfortable waiting for something worthy of people sending it to me to watch...

Jon Stewart, on the other hand, funny as fuck, every goddamn night.

10. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Jon spent a solid 2/3rds of his show lambasting Glenn Beck last night. It was glorious.

The JonCo skit the night before was incredible, too. They're really outdoing themselves lately.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I loved him blasting that Mormon retard to perfection last night, but he was WAAAY to friendly in my book. I wish instead of Lampooning him all the time, someone would come right out and just say outright:

"It doesn't matter what side you take in politics, Glen Beck is a fucking IDIOT. Everything he says and does is STUPID. Everything. Why do you mongoloids hang of his every word? He is your enemy, period. Get that through your head already."

The End.

12. Eidon

Eidon
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I thought it was great that Colbert followed Stewart's parody by interviewing a priest who made the same criticisms of Beck. His response to Colbert's "What it Beck became Pope?" question was the perfect note to end that interview on.