Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Concert Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Mike Ness, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ec88

ec88
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just saw Ghostland Observatory last night. They put on such a kickass lazer light show, and the lead singer puts on a great performance himself. If you ever get the chance, go see them. They will definately impress you.

2. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Minus the Bear tonight @House of Blues. Wooo!

3. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's about time to kick some life back into this thread.

What is on your summer concert agenda people? I'm not a huge country fan, but I got free tickets to see Brad Paisley tomorrow at Progressive Field and seeing Kenny Chesney's tour on the 23rd. Also going to Neon Indian tomorrow night....persuaded by a friend. Interpol plays here on June 18th.

4. MateFeedKillRepeat

MateFeedKillRepeat
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Not sure how many people are into house/trance/techno/dubstep type music, but I'll be going to EDC here in Vegas at the end of the month. 3 days, 8pm till sunrise. To many artists to list.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.electricdaisycarnival.com/LasVegas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.electricdaisycarnival.com/LasVegas/</a>

I may die.

5. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Saw Panic! at the Disco with fun at First Ave last Saturday. That venue if amazing and they both put on an amazing show!

Jack's Mannequin, Figner 11 are a couple local shows I'm going to.

I also have tickets for Foo Fighters and Rise Against at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul on the 14th of September and Blink 182 and My Chemical Romance on the 7th.

Beyond that nothing is planned. I wouldn't be surprised if a Disturbed concert was gone to some time too.

6. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mark Knopfler and his band are going to tour with Bob Dylan on the European leg of his tour this fall. If there is one concert in your lifetime to see, this would be it.

7. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Interpol put on a great show last night at House of Blues. Not too big on their new album, but they played some great songs from their older stuff. The opening band was called The Soft Moon...wow, way to waste about an hour of my life. The best way to describe it is a bunch of synthesized tracks with the same beat, mixed in with some bass and some of the most boring vocals ever.

8. stcardsfan

stcardsfan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Anybody in the Kansas City area? I'm going to the Kanrocksas Musical Festival on Friday, August 5th which is headlined by Eminem. There are too many artists to list, check out their website: http://www.kanrocksas.com

Also seeing Mac Miller in October in Des Moines.

9. uzisuicide

uzisuicide
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The wife and I are going to see Foo Fighters in Atlanta in November. It was her idea. This is one of the many reasons I married this woman.

10. dchavok

dchavok
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Got to see Incubus Friday night at Jacobs Pavilion in downtown Cleveland. Tom Morello (The Nightwatchman) opened the set.

I didn't get there until the end of Tom's set, but the crowd was friggin pumped. He ended on 'This Land is Your Land' and it was probably the weirdest thing I've ever seen- a crowd jumping and moshing and singing along "This land is your land, this land is my land..."...it was just super weird and cool at the same time and speaks to his musical abilities, I suppose (or for the lasting brainwashing effect created by his years in RATM)

Incubus came on as the sun was setting, so it was amazing. the Pavilion sits on the coast of the Cuyahoga River, facing the downtown skyline. So behind the stage is both the city skyline and the river, which always has boats coming and going. They opened with "Pardon Me", and just absolutely killed it from there. I was a bit nervous, because I hadn't seen them in years, and their new cd is not at all concert friendly, but somehow they made it work, interweaving new stuff with all the hits people love.

The coolest part was the LED screen they had behind them. It constantly flashed patterns or showed the band live, but in black and white or other effects. It wasn't backed by a board or anything, either, so when the boats sailed by, you could see them as well as the city skyline interspersed with whatever design was on the screen.

The played for about two hours and it was oddly enough one of the most mesmerizing concert experiences I've had. Nobody will ever confuse Incubus for the greatest band ever, or the most innovative (though they really are innovative as hell with some of the instruments they've introduced and Mike Einzinger's work outside the band), but I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the best shows I've ever seen. They've always been a top-5/10 band of mine, depending on the year, but this solidified them as one of my favorite bands. I've never heard anyone say a bad word about the guys or their music, the shows they put on are always solid to amazing and there isn't an album out there to dislike.

11. lyle

lyle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Going to see DJ Shadow tomorrow night in London.
    Pretty damn excited for it, managed to catch him earlier in the year at Glastonbury and that was one of, if not the best dj set I have ever been witness to.
    Just hope the venue is big enough for him to use the Shadowsphere, the thing is one of the most innovative projection set ups I've seen in a while, it left me speechless for the rest of the night and most of the next day..

#51 lyle, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  12. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw Hairball last night. They're one of the more popular 80s cover bands around. They have 2 lead singers I think and they alternate sets and dress up to look like whatever band they are covering.
    It's the 2nd time I've saw them and they put on a fun show, I'm not a fan of 80s hair bands but I enjoyed this both times.

Here's a few pics from my shitty Iphone 4.
    In the Alice Copper set they actually had a real albino python.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Fusion

Fusion
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Death Cab for Cutie and Incubus (London) - both awesome.

Next want to see Gavin Degraw and King Blues. Probably Blink 182 in June.

14. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Just saw City and Colour a week ago. This sounds a little queer, but the dudes voice is amazing.
    Not the best concert I've ever been to, mainly because it was chocked full of hipster douches sporting gauged ears, neck tattoos, dumb eyeware, all the while chugging double deuce PBRs.
    I looked like a fish out of water, but I didn't give a fat baby's ass. The show was spectacular.

This was not the concert I went to.

#54 Luke 217, Nov 29, 2011
  15. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Black Keys are going on tour this year. Anyone else going to one of these dates?

My friend got us floor seats to the Chicago show at the United Center on March 19th. Arctic Monkeys are opening.

Can't wait.

Also, might try and catch the Van Halen tour if I can.

16. monkey0726

monkey0726
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Saw Avicii in NYC for New Years and it was absolutely incredible: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1M7bwXoRsGY#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 7bwXoRsGY#</a>!

Had to deal with the typical guidos and 17 year old kids on drugs for the first time, but I went with a group of 12 people (along with Miss Molly) and we somehow finagled our way into VIP. Watching people bump lines in front of cops backstage was certainly interesting. I would for sure recommend seeing him. Bassnectar is next.

17. Fusion

Fusion
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I totally agree with you when I went to see Incubus in November (in London), I was just astonished at how good of a gig it was. They just nailed it with song choices, getting the crowd pumped combined with the venue size and as you mentioned about the LED screen they did the same in London - combined it was just a great show to be at.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Tool. TOnight. In MY home town. Spectacular. Maynard said one line to the crowd the whole night:

ha ha, you little shit. Anywhoo, Set list:

Hooker with a penis
    Jambi
    Stinkfist
    Ticks & Leeches
    Pushit
    Instrumental
    Schism
    Instrumental
    Forty Six and Two
    Lateralus (w/ 3-way drum battle)
    Aenema

Pushit was pure ecstacy, possibly the best of the night. However, my favourite by them, Lateralus, brought the place to its knees. If you walked away disapointed from this beautiful show, you don't have a soul. Danny Carey, you have bought your ticket to heaven.

19. Suave

Suave
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'm going to Träd, Gräs och Stenar (literally Trees, Grass and Rocks) in Gothenburg tonight. Legendary swedish band which have been around since the sixties, check them out if you're into weird psych stuff!

#59 Suave, Feb 4, 2012
  20. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Radiohead on US tour. Coming to Ohio June 6th

Childish Gambino/Danny Brown June 16th House of Blues

Pitchfork festival in Chicago

It's going to be a great summer for live music.