Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Concert Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Mike Ness, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Post about recent shows you have attended or are going to attend. Give recommendations post set-list’s, or let everyone know to sell their ticket! I don’t want it to turn into a stub-hub but it might be nice to unload or acquire tickets from other members.

PEARL JAM 10/28/09 at the Philadelphia Spectrum:

It was awesome and they put on a great show. There was ton’s of energy and just and electric feeling about the place, I have been going to the Spectrum for years for all types of events and this was the most crowded venue I have ever attended.

Social Distortion opened up for them which was a real treat for me. I love Social D and Pearl Jam and was thrilled when I discovered I was going to see them in the same night.

Eddie Vedder came out and sang “Ball and Chain” with Social D, it was awesome.

Pearl Jam didn’t have the best set list I have ever seen, too many of the new songs for my liking (of course I realize they were promoting the new album) but everyone has been treating the Philly show’s a little bit different because the spectrum is getting ready to be torn down.

That being said Pearl Jam did tear the place apart, ton’s of energy and a just a great show. (Having a girl walk around the stage with the Phillies score didn’t hurt either)

GREAT rendition of the song “Porch.”

Quote from Eddie Vedder

"There's a reason why bands like to play in this room. It sounds great in here. It's an honor this band takes seriously playing the last shows at this building. We were flying in yesterday. We can see a gigantic football stadium and a big baseball stadium. And the other arena. The Spectrum looked just like a baby, but the history is the biggest. So we heard Bruce Springsteen tore the roof of the place last week. We have our work cut out for us. We ain't gonna be the clean up crew. By Saturday at ... 2 a.m., we're going to try to play every song we know. there may be some nobody knows."

If you live near Philly try and catch a show, it will be incredibly crowded but worth it!

2. Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I went and saw Alice in Chains about a month ago in Milwaukee and loved it. They sounded great and the vocals were amazing. They played about an hour and a half with about 3 new songs in the set. If you are a fan and they are coming by you, it's definitely worth the ticket.

3. Costello

Costello
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I just got in the door after seeing Frank Turner in London. Incredible show from a guy who's on the cusp of major recognition. The venue was quite large (Shepherd's Bush Empire) but still intimate, and most of his set was one big singalong. Great crowd. The highlight was an a capella rendition of an ancient English folk song (which I need to find the name of). I think his U.S. tour starts on Sunday, catch him if you can.

Support came from Beans on Toast, a scraggly-voiced fella who sang funny little songs about Tesco breakfasts and Jordan's retarded baby, and Fake Problems, who play the kind of Springsteen-meets-the-Replacements songs that I'm a sucker for.

4. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I just saw Mastodon and Dethklok at Boston's House of Blues on Tuesday, October 27. Opening bands were High on Fire and Converge.

Short review of each set:

High on Fire:
    Their lead singer's vocals sounded amateurish to me, he alternately went for high Bruce Dickinson-type vocals and low growls, but never quite seemed to hit either. The more I think about their set though, the more I like them. Their singer was also their lead guitarist, and at least there, he was amazing. So I can forgive him for that. Pretty good set overall, but my least favorite of the groups.

Converge: Much more relentless, much harder metal. I enjoyed their sound more than High on Fire, but their lead singer was even more ridiculous. It didn't sound like he could carry a note, and his vocals were incredibly repetitive. Every song had the same three short barks in a row, and you couldn't actually tell what he was saying. It was pretty funny when in between he'd say stuff like, "This next song is about fighting against the pain in your life!" and then start with "BAWK BAWK! BAWK!" Points for effort though, the guy didn't stop moving the whole time he was onstage.

Mastodon: Great set. They played the entirety of their album Crack the Skye, which incorporates a lot more prog metal than some of their other work. Behind them was basically a feature-length music video for the album, which has a story behind it. Watching the story told on film while hearing the music telling it was great. Prog metal is hit and miss with me, though, so my favorite part of their set came after the album was finished, when they played a few other selected songs, including "Blood and Thunder," which is an awesome song.

Dethklok: These guys were the reason I bought the tickets, and they didn't disappoint. Excellent, excellent show. They played a good mix of stuff off of both of their albums, with a lot of fan favorites. Like Mastodon, they played music videos behind them on the big screen for each song. Unlike Mastodon, however, the stage itself was barely lit, so you could only really see the musicians in silhouette. I suppose they really wanted your attention on the screen. Before their last encore, Brendon Smalls entertained by talking to the audience with the voices of the band. Brutal show, and I mean that in the best way.

Also, Brutal Legend had a HUGE presence at the show. Game kiosks were set up on the floor, and Eddie Riggs showed up in a "Backstage" cartoon segment before Mastodon started playing.

5. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just got back from Metallica at HSBC in Buffalo. Good show, the band was great and all but...

There wasn't any sort of moshing whatsoever. In the beginning a few people started, but some security retards came and broke it up. SO then everybody was pretty tame the rest of the show, which SUCKED. During one of their last songs, Blitzkrieg, a few people started again, but they stopped because a bunch of pussy ass guys and girls were whining at them to stop. They looked at them a with a giant, "Why would you even do that what's wrong with you" look and I almost lost it. Who the fuck buys floor tickets to a METAL show and then gets confused when people want to mosh.

Seriously. Ugh. When Master of Puppets came on I almost started shoving people everywhere, but no joke I would have been kicked out. It was pretty bullshit.

At least the band was good, I got a pick, so whatever.

6. uzisuicide

uzisuicide
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I saw KISS in Greenville last month.

Now, I never have been the biggest KISS fan. Sure, I've always liked a few of their songs, but I never really put their albums in. In fact, I never really liked the fact that they are so commercialized.

With that, KISS IS FUCKING AWESOME IN CONCERT. Seriously, go fucking see them. I had crappy seats, but the tickets were only $35, and there really wasn't a bad seat in the house. There were explosions, blood, sex, drugs, it was loud, etc, etc, etc. It was everything a rock show should be. They might be old, but Paul Stanley is still an awesome showman.

Buckcherry opened for them. I was actually very impressed with them, too. I always thought Buckcherry was kind of a butt rock band, but those guys are all tattooed up and filthy. They put on a good show. When they covered Deep Purple's Highway Star, I lost my shit.

7. Joe-Diddle

Joe-Diddle
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm seeing Opeth on sunday. Haven't been this excited by a concert in a long time, It'll be my first time seeing them.

I guess this is related, I'll be serving the bar at Pearl Jam on the 25th. Sadly, the bar is facing away from the concert. BOO.

8. BuckeyeFan

BuckeyeFan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I saw Kings of Leon in Kentucky a few months ago. I thought the concert would be good, but was suprised when it ended up being awesome. I really like their older stuff, but their last cd, Only by the Night is really really good and I would highly recommend it.

9. MateFeedKillRepeat

MateFeedKillRepeat
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I don't know how many people here like Slipknot, but I'm a big fan. I saw them on halloween at the Pearl in Vegas. I love their concerts, a lot of passion in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxr_MANm ... re=related

There is a video of People = Shit from the concert. Not my video, I was on the floor but I didn't have a camera with me.

10. seelivemusic

seelivemusic
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Going to see PHiSH in Portland next weekend, always a good time up there and I'm psyched to have a floor ticket. Not going to their NYE run in Miami, stopped going to NYE shows a few years ago.

Just got tickets to Slayer & Megadeath on Valentine's Day 2010. I will be in the GA floor area for this show and am sure to be entertained by the music and the crowd.

Caught Medeski, Martin, and Wood at the Boston House of Blues the other weekend. I hadn't seen them in a few years and I really glad I went. Most of the show was sort of out there but the end of the second set had some tunes from the album Shackman. We also had the HOB stadium seats which were great for that kind of show.

Yep, I am all over the place when it comes to music and I attend shows often. Boston can be really hot and cold when it comes to music but often there are two or three shows in a week that I want to check out.

11. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just got home from Wolfmother, and man do those guys ever fucking rock. It was my third time seeing them, but probably in the best venue so far (first was an old shitty hockey rink, other was Pemberton). I'd say over half of their stuff was off their first album, which I was happy about because I haven't listened to much of their new stuff besides New Moon Rising. They seem so much heavier live than on their cd's.
    I also got to meet 3 of the 4 members before the show (no idea where the drummer was), got a picture with the lead singer, got autographs from the 3 and talked with them and 6 other people who won the radio contest. They are super chill. Taking multiple pictures with everyone, signing whatever we had, and just shooting the shit with us for about 15 minutes. Really down to earth. And when they were told they had to leave to get ready, one of the other contest winners realized he hadn't gotten a picture with the singer, so he called him back, and they both did the classic tongue out, throwing the horns pose. Just wanted to help give the fans what they wanted.

I've also got floor tickets for Motley Crue in January and tickets to Steel Panther along with some local guys in 2 weeks. I am so unbelievably pumped for Steel Panther, I cannot fucking wait.

12. Manow

Manow
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'm pretty psyched, going to see AC/DC this friday. 65,000 people in a stadium. Just wish I had gotten standing area tickets.

13. Hogie

Hogie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Tickets for the Alice in Chains show on Feb 2nd in Vancouver went on sale today. I had two tickets, went to sign in so I could pay, then an "error" occurred and the tickets were gone. I was able to get one ticket though, so at least I can go. Fuck Ticketmaster in the ass with a rusty iron spike.

14. TCV

TCV
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I know I'm a little late here, but a couple of months ago Red Rocks Amphitheater had some killer hip hop shows a week apart.

Rock The Bells was first and it was out of control, they always have good lineups, and Supernatural is always amazing.
    http://www.guerillaunion.com

The next week was Atmosphere, Murs, Aesop Rock, and Eyedea and Abilities, which was one of the best shows I've ever seen,

Red Rocks itself is still my favorite venue I've ever been to, and I would recommend seeing a show there to anyone, that place is awesome.

15. TPapp

TPapp
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier but....

Saw Wale, N.E.R.D. and Jay-Z at Pauly Pavilion a few weeks ago. My respect for Wale went way up after seeing him live, even though he only had 30 minutes he still turned it out.

N.E.R.D. was fucking amazing, large backing band with an out of control energy actually had me dancing for their entire set. They had two drummers that went off on an awesome solo.

Jay-Z, of course, killed it and had his own live band. Went through all the hits, brought out Rhianna, Memph Bleek and Pharell and gave an awesome performance. My only gripe is that he did too much from his new album, though that was the point of his new tour anyway.

If this tour comes to your city and you like this music make sure you go see it. The best concert I've been to since Damian Marley opened for Busta Rhymes a few years ago.

16. Benzilla

Benzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I saw Vampire Weekend last night. The singer for the opening band looked a bit like Ellen Page but her voice was wonderful. VW themselves have really come into their own as performers. I can imagine anyone seeing them a couple of years ago might think that they were inspired by Devo's robot fetish. That's not the case anymore, they were moving around and looking like they have the hang of being a "rock" band. My friend and I were in the center of the front row (literally less that 5 feet away from Ezra), it was a really good time.

The setlist was amazing. A better question would be what didn't they play. Between the set proper and a three-song encore they played around 75-80% of their own catalog.

17. Beer Me

Beer Me
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I saw John K Samson of the Canadian band The Weakerthans performing a project concert the other day, he was accompanied by his wife and a few really talented musicians, while it had a bit of classical in it, they managed to fuse it into music by the Weakerthans. I was very pleased, but I never got to hear him say the words "I Hate Winnipeg"

18. Natty

Natty
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have been seriously slacking on concerts as of late, but will be seeing sound tribe sector 9 on LA in two weeks. I've been pimping them for years now, for no other reason than I have never met another person who has not enjoyed one of their shows. If you're in SoCal and bored, check this shit out.

<a class="postlink" href="http://WWW.sts9.COM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://WWW.sts9.COM</a>

19. satan rae

satan rae
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I am going to see City and Colour on Tuesday. If it is anything like the last couple times I have seen them I am in for a great night.

20. Hogie

Hogie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Alice in Chains tonight, starting off their tour here in Vancouver. Gonna be good!