Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Clothing Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beefy Phil, Jan 19, 2011.

1. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Now now Frank. He doesn't meet all the criteria according to this helpful diagram.

[​IMG]

2. LatinGroove

LatinGroove
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't really give a fuck what I wear and never put much thought into what I'm wearing, but I've been told I'm pretty fashionable for a guy when I do dress up. I mainly throw on clothes depending on the situation. For example, if I'm going out I'll throw on a pin stripe vest, a solid colored shirt, some jeans (or black slacks) and a nice silk tie. Most of the time since I'm doing shit outside or stuff that requires me getting dirty like lhprop, I'm wearing flannels, jeans and some Caterpillar boots (or jungle boots).

As for getting nice clothes on the cheap, I buy stuff from different places. TJ Maxx and Marshalls are your friend when it comes to not looking like a hobo.

3. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Summer wear is flip-flops and jeans with a t-shirt. Plain white, bands, mildly preppy stores; occasionally I'll be caught in a polo but it's not something I'm big on. If I'm out doing something active, shorts it is.

Winter calls for hoodies and comfortable long sleeves. And as was previously mentioned, sweatpants are great.

I still have a ton of crap in the back of my closet from high school and the year after I graduated. Collared long-sleeve striped button-ups, preppy shirts reading things like "Only if you drop a few" and "fantastic foreplay", and jeans that are more hole than denim. Most of it collects dust or gets thrown on when I'm painting or working on my truck. I've considered boxing it all up and taking it to Goodwill, but that might be more cruelty than charity.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I'm more than happy to dress for occasions or going out, but usually you'll almost always see me wearing beat-up concert t-shirts or hockey jerseys and jeans. The only running shoes I ever wear are either Chuck Taylors or Airwalk (I'm a tradionalist). I like flannel shirts (traditional, not hipster vomit yellow/turquoise shit) and I probably have 8 hoodies.

Because I have Iritis the one thing I do splurge on are (douche incoming) Oakley sunglasses. Bright light directly in my eyes paralyzes me with migraines, and these things are lifesavers as well as comftorable to wear even though I feel I look like a gigantic housefly when wearing them.

5. jordan_paul

jordan_paul
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Generally I wear shorts and t-shirts, usually various Motocross shirts Ive acquired over the years. Call me crazy but Im usually in shorts unless Im at work, or go out to the bar (then its Dress shirts and Wrangler Jeans) even in the winter time. One thing I have though is a coat fetish. Ive got about 21 (spoilered for people who might give a shit)
    -Snap On Racing Jacket
    -Tough Duck Bomber
    -Tough Duck Parka
    -Tough Duck High VIsibility Parka
    -2 Dickies plad coats
    -Leather Motorcycle jacket
    -Leather dress coat
    -30 degree down filled holy fuck cold jacket
    -White Snowboarding jacket
    -Snowmobile Jacket
    -about 5 various light spring/fall coats
    -4 camo hunting coats (each one is for hunting a different animal)
    -Blaze orange coat

One might say I have a few more pairs of shoes then most men need:

-Barn work boots
    -Non shit workboots
    -Dress workboots
    -Snake skin cowboy boots
    -Vans sneakers
    -Dress shoes
    -2 pairs of motocross boots
    -Steel toe rubber boots

6. babyface

babyface
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm business casual during the week. No polos or khakis, I don't work at Best Buy. For me it's black slip-on dress shoes, black belt, navy, gray, or charcoal dress pants, and button-down.

On the weekends I switch out the dress pants for jeans and call it good. Speaking of which, how tight of jeans are these people buying that they fit better after wearing them? I know my jeans are too loose after I wear them once, I can't imagine six months.

7. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll fully admit I like clothes. Having a personal style, that is recognizable to others, and that you feel comfortable about says alot about a person.

My best friend since I was pretty young recently described my style as "indie rock with preppy sensibilities". I thought it was pretty accurate. I am a slimmer dude and I dress accordingly. Lot of fitted jeans (not skinny cause thats just uncomfortable, but I am pretty particular about them), an assortment of t-shirts and hoodies, but I have plenty of button downs, polos (I raid Ralph Lauren outlet), and sweaters. I work in advertising, so I have alot of freedom with my work wardrobe, but I stick to slacks and sweaters/button downs for the most part. Largely because I like taking pride in my appearance at work and because I work with ALOT of attractive girls, and even if I'm not hooking up with them, they give incentive to look my best.

To add fire to the whole shoe discussion. I have a TON. I'm not a Turtle-level sneaker head, but I probably have 10-12 pairs of sneakers in a variety of colors. Lot of Saucony, Onitsuka Tigers, and Pumas. Plus a pair of running shoes, 2-3 pair of dress shoes, and a pair of dress ankle boots. My style is fairly basic, but I feel like shoes, or ties (I have alot of those too), etc... is an area to individualize, so I do. Thats just me

8. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

These are both excellent points (or variations on the same point). I am a Software Engineer by trade and a techy/gamer/programmer/drinker in my personal life, so I don't work out much. I'm not fat, but I'll admit that I'm not in great shape either. Therefor, I don't really look too good in just a simple t-shirt and jeans (like I used to). Like I said before, I wear nice sweaters, collared shirts, blazers, scarfs, slacks, khakis, and jeans that are nice, clean and crisp rather than faded with holes. By doing so and looking nice and respectable when I leave the house, I feel much more confident and I look pretty damn good if I do say so myself. That's really what it's all about I think.

9. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Since i'm a broke grad srudent, and will remain one for at least another 3 years, my wardrobe can only be described as utilitarian. I more or less have a uniform : one of 4 pairs of regular jeans, one of about 20 plain black or plain white hanes tshirts, one of 4 hanes hoodie zipups if it's cold, black sneakers or brown boots. If I'm at home, just lose everything but the shirt and add pajamas. It's very simple and requires zero thought in the morning. Also I can't afford anything nicer. I stole one of my dad's suits for when I need to dress up. Maybe someday when I have money ill invest in a nicer wardrobe.

10. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Everything I wear is better than anything anyone else wears, and anybody who has a different view of fashion than me is like, totally retarded.

11. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I was financially independent, I'd walk around naked all day.

But since I have a job, it's business casual. I've found as I've gotten older and older, I tend to dress nicer, for lack of a better term. I don't even like being seen in public with a shirt without a collar anymore.

12. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck it. I'll admit it. I wear Hawaiian shirts.

No, I am not 50. Or fat. Nor am I a tourist, nor do I believe this is how people actually dress in the tropics. These are comfortable, fuck it shirts.

- Mustard and gravy stains are unnoticeable. They even add to the motifs aesthetically.

- Everyday is casual Friday. In fucking Hawaii.

- They're a tougher statement than MMA bullshit. You have to have balls to wear something this tacky. I obviously could not give two shits what anyone thinks.

- Women stare at you for long periods of time because they think if they do they'll see a 3D sailboat in the pattern.

- Get a Detroit Tigers hat and a stache. Look like motherfucking MAGNUM P.I. everyday of your, up to now, wasted life.

- With a little luck the loud colors and the horrendous parrot clutching a beer bottle will cause a car driver to go into a seizure. Fantastic.

Give in.
    [​IMG]

13. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Two kinds of guys wear Hawaiian shirts...

14. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He doesn't look like a big fat party animal to me...

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I go through phases of liking to dress really nice and being a total slacker. Ive mentioned that I worked at a Gap Clearance store. We had Banana Republic clothes at next to nothing prices. So I amassed a large collection of button up dress shirts, blazers, and three complete suits. After I quit most of the shirts went out of style, aka stripey shirt fad died, and I got rid of most of those eye soars. My biggest problem with nice clothes, even with the positive attention you get, is that I am wholly uncomfortable in them (the feel of fabric on the skin), no matter the situation or time of year. I sweat like a fucking mad man and if Im not wearing a blazer it takes about 10 minutes after putting it on and I have HUGE and embarrassing pit stains that everyone will notice. Blue dress shirts are the worst as the color makes the sweat pop out that much more. Alas I usually keep getting nicely dressed up to very few occasions.

I also have a leather jacket weakness. I have had a regular black style leather winter jacket since middle school, suede winter jacket, suede blazer, a motor cycle jacket, a full length leather trench coat, and I had a regular leather blazer that I used to wear all the fucking time before it was stolen when my car was broken into. Ill probably have three more leather jackets made before I leave china. One will be like the one Liam Neeson wore in Taken to replace the trench coat I rarely wear, another to replace my stolen blazer, and another motorcycle jacket if I can find the right type of leather.

Normally I wear jeans and a polo. During the summer it's cargo shorts and flip flops. I have a pair of reef sandals that are 3-4 years old and despite the usual wear on the bottom and the imprint of my feet they look brand fucking new, they make a lasting piece of footwear.

Here in Shanghai it is really popular to have fitted clothing made. My brother is about two steps away from being a full blown metrosexual. He's a hoarder of these fitted dress shirts and will routinely buy 4 or 5 at a time. He's probably got over 40. He's had half a dozen suits made as well. He likes to brag to girls that he's probably got more clothes in his closet then they do.

16. madamsquirrel

madamsquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Due to societal norms and business dress codes I normally wear appropriate clothing. I am a jeans, skirts, cute flats, flip flops in summer type of girl. BUT if it was socially acceptable I would wear pajamas and slippers all day every day. The comfort factor and material feel on my skin is wonderful to me. This does contribute to me wearing dresses or skirts over slacks to work almost everyday because the material is usually more comfortable.

17. Chester Frühl

Chester Frühl
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I wholefully second the socks with sandals idea. Practically speaking, the sandal wearing season can be extended significantly by adding socks in colder times. And, as long as you tread lightly and don't choose white, the socks getting dirty won't be a significant problem either.

Given that I live in southern Spain right now, where indoor heating is a privilege sneerily retained by only the rich, I have taken the idea to a bit more of an extreme in keeping my feet isolated from cold tile floors: socks with flip flops. You, the reader, will likely strike this off as uncomfortable, but, a further investigation would reveal that most of my socks have a nicely stretched groove that fits between the big toe and the one beside it. My indoor habit in the past has in some instances translated into outside use as well. Not owning a pair of dress shoes in first year of university, I attended my residence's formal Christmas dinner wearing black socks with flip flops, along with nice jeans and a sweater over a dress shirt, top button open as always. Ahem. Ahem.

18. bigtom0404

bigtom0404
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

If I wasn't so over weight, I would go back to wearing wrangler jeans and pearl snap shirts EVERYDAY. I did this in high school and my teenage years and loved it, I would pick the first pair of jeans in the drawer and the right most shirt on the hangers in the closet. Did it match, just about every time yes, did I care, no. I was all comfort, the problem is when you get bigger, wranglers are not as comfortable and pearl snaps give out to moobes. Now days, its some type of dress kahkis or nice jeans and a button down shirt, my office is casual, surprisingly I am one of the better dressed. I have a nice pair of brown and a nice pair of black loafers and a very old pair of boots from when I was 17 that still look amazing. 8 years later I wear those shoes every other day just about. The great thing is I look for deals and brands I like, Chaps and Tommy Hilfiger because the shirts are made of thicker materials, and rarely spend more then 20-30 a shirt and maybe 40-60 for my pants. One of my new goals is to be able to wear wranglers again. Those pants can survive anything! And before I get flamed with red dots, I live 20 mile south of Houston, Texas, its uncommon not to wear redneck clothes.

Edit: God I am stoned and my typos are everywhere, they are taking overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

19. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate aloha shirts with a flaming passion.

My ex-husband wore those goddamned things and used the same 'justifications' you just listed.

gross.

Sorry.

I wanted to post about people saying 'dress for your body' or a variation thereof.

Best advice ever. Find an article of clothing, whatever it is, that accentuates your best asset, and rock it. Guys can get away with a cheap pair of well fitting jeans, if the jeans hug their thighs just right. Same goes for girls with nice boobs/legs/booty. Pick your asset and show it off.

Dressing well isn't about wearing uber expensive clothing and being a label whore. It's about finding a look and style that works for you and sticking with it.

Just avoid aloha shirts and fads.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So what you're saying is...:

[​IMG]