Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Clothing Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beefy Phil, Jan 19, 2011.

1. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wear scrubs to work so M-F I pretty much go from scrubs to workout clothes to pajamas. Good thing about that is by not having to pay for a work wardrobe, I feel just fine about spending a bit more money on "personal" clothes. Bad thing about that is that by spending 95% of my life in things with a drawstring or elastic waistband, I often hate wearing all the things you need to to look nice. Heels, tights, hell, even skinny jeans can feel uncomfortable when you aren't accustomed to wearing them.

So in summer, I love sundresses because they are loose and free. In winter, jeans, boots, and some sort of top/sweater.

I will pay top dollar without batting an eye if the quality is top notch (Frye boots come to mind) but will not pay top dollar simply to have a certain "label". I do spend money on things like shoes, jeans, bras, seems worth it to me.

2. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had to do an image search for hooded vest to see if it was what I imagined it was. Surely enough I was correct. And to answer your question, no matter what shape the hooded vest was in I would make fun of my friends for wearing it.

Focus:
    I'm an adult, so my wardrobe is boring. I have a shit ton of button up shirts and various forms of dress pants. I only have one pair of jeans, because I'm only in a situation where I wear them once a month if I'm lucky. I have some shorts I wear in the summer, just in case I have to play a public golf course.

Also, unless I am going to the pool, beach, or showering somewhere questionable you will never find me in a pair of flip flops. Those are the shoes of a lazy vagrant. What, you are too lazy to put shoes on and tie your shoes? It says a lot about you, and how lazy you are.

3. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To me there are only two seasons: flip flop season and January.

4. 8Track

8Track
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

No, my beach shoes are actually toe shoes. I use them to run on the beach.

[​IMG]

I have more shoes than you because I like to have my feet live in comfort.

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

No, you have more shoes than I do because you iceskate or some shit.

You remind me of the 40-something Episcopal priest from the Bahamas who hit on me when I was 19. He went on a nice little monologue about how you should treat your feet nice so that they treat you nice, and about how he wanted to rub my feet at his flat and cook for me.

6. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I guess my clothing style is pseudo-hipster with a little bit of urban prep.

As far as shoes go, is it weird to have more than a couple pair? I have 8-10 pairs of chucks, a couple more pair of casual sneakers, a couple pair of basketball sneakers, boots, black dress shoes, brown dress shoes and a pair or two of sneakers I use for cleaning stuff with.

Blazer + hoodie + t-shirt/oxford + jeans + chucks = my general uniform if I have the choice.

7. 8Track

8Track
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

You say this like it's a bad thing? What did he cook for you?

Your feet really do take care of you if you take care of them.

8. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm 35, married, and I don't give a fuck. Most of the time when I'm not at work, I wear t-shirts from old strongman contests (I have about 50 of them), sweatpants, and my camo slippers with rubber soles and I look pretty damn good wearing it.

When I have to dress up to go fishing, I usually wear jeans, a t-shirt, and red and black flannel. When I wear that, there is usually a significant increase in whiplash cases reported in females in the area. It's documented.

9. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I own a wide variety of plaid flannel shirts. I end up wearing some form of straight/skinny jeans, Adidas Sambas, Flannel shirt and maybe a beanie depending on how lazy I am about fucking with my hair that day. During the summer I lose the long sleeve shirt and stick to tees. I never wear shorts, hate em.

10. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you dated a guy who had more shoes than you one time and he came out of the closet during your relationship. That or it happened to one of your friends, you are way too upset about his shoe collection.

While he does have a lot overall it's not like he has 10 pairs of dress shoes or something, they all serve different purposes. Also VFF's are awesome, just saying.

11. satan rae

satan rae
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I work in a business casual environment so monday through thursday I wear dress pants/dresses/skirts with some sort of cardigan or sweater. I have been told I dress like a hipster on occasion but have been wearing skinny pants/flannels/vnecks and hoodies with chuck taylors or deck shoes long before it would have been considered "hipster". I like to dress up when going out but that usually just involves more jewellery and makeup and shorter skirts or lower shirts.

12. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Episcopalian clergy use that line, too?

Focus: Casual. Jeans, cargo pants or shorts, and the tops range from tee shirts, to polos to button-downs, to flannels, 90% of which is Ralph Lauren since my sister works for him and I get her 35% employee discount (I find the items on the clearance page of the website, then the 35% discount gets applied, so the prices become reasonable, and sometimes downright cheap. I wouldn't be buying his stuff were it not for the deal).

As for shoes, I have problems with my feet (and I wear a 15EEE) so I'm limited to what I can wear for anything over 2-3 hours. Certain model running shoes with an orthotic insert and Crocs (shut up! they're comfortable!) are what's recommended by the podiatrist, and I just got a pair of Propet walking shoes for my b-day which are fucking heavenly.

I've got more coats and jackets than I care to admit.

13. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are you Rex Ryan, or do you have diabetus? It is ok to have a lot of shoes, you don't have to justify it with a saying that makes me think you either have a foot fetish, or are in danger of having part of it hacked off.

I'm really trying to figure out what you are getting at here.

14. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Why are these mutually exclusive?

15. bobdobolina12

bobdobolina12
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'd say 95% of the population disagrees with me, but socks with sandals (the slide variety) feel tremendous. Maybe it's a basketball thing, but I've never understood the hatred of the look. It's not like I'm wearing knee socks and birkenstocks around town.

Also, matching the socks and sandals with sweatpants and a white tee shirt enables you to blend in with a spectrum of people ranging from college students to generic white trash. A very versatile look.

16. 8Track

8Track
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Don't judge me.

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm just going to put this out there:

I think skinny jeans on guys look fucking retarded.

kthxbye.

18. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At work (well, it's technically part of school) I just wear a dress shirt with a sweater over it and khaki coloured pants with brown leAther shoes. Simple and professional. Otherwise, t shirts and jeans. I recently bought a fancy wool car coat because I thought I might need something to wear over a suit or over work clothes besides my gore tex shell. Good choice. It's stylish without looking overly stylish, and warm. Not overly practical, though.

19. Dude

Dude
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

No hating on shoes, please. In high school I went through 5-6 pairs of cleats playing lacrosse and soccer and only a single pair of those was under $200 ($120). Now I don't think twice about dropping $200-300 for two or three pairs of shoes (nike is the main culprit). Being in college makes this tougher to do, but I manage. I own 4 pairs of nike basketball shoes, 2 pairs of adidas shelltoes, chucks, slip-on vans, 2 pairs of flip flops, and 2 pairs of dress shoes. Agree with bobdobolina, socks and flip flops is great.

Shirt wise, either a t-shirt or a button down. No polo shirts. If I have to look semi-nice, its a button down, jeans, and chucks.

Sweatpants are days when I'm tired and planning to go back to sleep right after class. Jeans are all greyscale or dark blues.

And sweatshirts are where its at. 3/4 of the year I'll be wearing some kind of sweatshirt, and during the summer its a t-shirt, or more commonly, just shorts. There is nothing more comfortable than a good sweatshirt.

20. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now that I am getting older and I have a good job and some extra money, I have been dressing much nicer. In the summer I keep it toned down and some have told me I even dress slightly hippy-ish. Mostly Polo's/t-shirts and shorts with leather flip flops, and then half the time and in the evenings I'll do jeans with polo's or light dress shirts.

When it is cold, though, I tend to dress much nicer. Unless I am just running to the store real quick I rarely leave the house without a collared shirt on. I only wear sweatshirts when I'm lounging around the house and I haven't worn a pair of sneakers in months. My work clothes and personal clothes tend to differ only in that I will wear jeans instead of slacks or Khakis. Dress shirts, sweaters, scarfs and blazers make up most of my cold weather attire, as well as a couple nice coats. Lately I've been doing most of my shopping at stores like J. Crew and Banana Republic (I do find, however, that Ross is a great place to get brand name dress shirts for cheap). I don't care to have designer clothes, I just want stuff that is well made and looks good.

I'm also one of those guys that has a fair number of shoes. Dressy leather shoes and "nice-casual" leather shoes, in both black and brown. Leather and cheap flip flops for when it is warm, as well as some slip on canvas type shoes (best way I can describe them). Some casual sneaker type shoes and then some athletic shoes. Who cares if you have a lot of pairs, it's about having the proper shoes for every occasion. I'm actually weird about shoes, it's one of the first things I notice about a girl on first sight (heels on girls is greatly preferred). Also, for some reason, I fucking hate Chuck Taylor's. I will never be caught dead wearing those, and most likely wouldn't date a girl that wore them either. Jack Purcell's are acceptable.

Others have already said it, you get treated better when you are well dressed.