Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Bucket List Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Apr 13, 2022.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: What's on your bucket list?

What are your dream activities, travel destinations, experiences, etc.?

Portugal has been on my list since I was in college, and I never got around to it because I never could quite figure out what I wanted to do there. I don't drink wine, and the food isn't enough of an appeal.

Then I saw this: https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20220411-portugals-ultimate-stargazing-road-trip

Bingo.

Top of my list right there.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I am training to run a 5K with the ultimate goal of running a marathon. I'm aiming to be in good enough shape to do that by the time I'm 40. Bump.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I will run a marathon at some point. Right now, I’m still having some post-Covid issues where I get heart palpitations any time my heart rate gets jacked up. Hopefully those will resolve themselves with both time and training, because I said run a marathon, not walk.

I also would love to get SCUBA certified and start going on dives when I’m on vacation. I am absolutely horrified of sharks, so of course I gotta dive with them.

4. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For shark diving...you thinking Mexico, for the whale sharks, or South Africa for the murderous ones?

Marathon runners all look like they escaped Auschwitz. Come at me when you want to try a triathlon.

I did scuba while in Bali, with a French instructor who loudly and often explained how we would die because we weren't paying attention. It was so fucking worth it, though. Truly otherworldly.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Snow skiing in Las Lenas, Argentina.

I've run two marathons and doing a (non-Ironman) triathlon this fall, soooo . . . check.

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ve always wanted to canoe the length of the Delaware River. There are books written on the subject. Unfortunately I’m getting a little long in the tooth for something like that, and it would take time I don’t currently have, but it’s still an outside possibility.

I’d also like to fly to Florida and hop a boat up the intracoastal waterway, up the Hudson River, across the Erie Canal and then all of the Great Lakes.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

we go to hawaii every few years. Any shark in that area ought to do. They scare the shit out of me and amaze me at the same time, so it wouldn't take much to get my fix. Caught one last year and it was a rush holding it for a picture.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Antarctic Cruise.
    Fly Fishing in Argentina.
    Spectate at the 24hrs of Le Mans.

The first 2 are happening November of 2023 (was initially scheduled for this November, 2022, but Covid shit was ramping up and we had to make a decision, so I opted to defer it a year).

Doing a 10 day fly fishing excursion with my best friend right before the cruise. Various locations in Argentina, Patagonia, etc.

The year following that, I'm arranging for the 24hrs of Le Mans trip.

Then time to create more bucket list items.

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Spectate Isle of Mann TT with me, old bean?

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I feel that watching only one part of that race does it a disservice. It's probably best watched via the remote camera feeds.

I think they're nuts for what they do, but I'm not sure I'm super keen to go watch it live.

Kind of like the Targa Newfoundland.

11. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's only half of the Great Loop. You don't want to do the whole thing?

12. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ve never had much interest in seeing the Mississippi up close, but sure. As long as we’re dreaming here, why not?

13. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd also like to Ski Argentina/Chile. I was able to ski a few days in New Zealand back in 2007 and would love to go back there as well.
    Bike around Prince Edward Island
    Bike a century ride in every state (5 states so far)
    Bike a double century I've done a double metric, but want to ride a 200 miler
    Go to Alaska (I had an opportunity to get stationed there in the early 2000's, but opted for South Carolina instead due to a different mission that I though was better. I should've opted for Alaska)

14. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All of my bucket list items are skiing related.

1. I have a list of NA ski hills I want to ski, and the only ones left are Taos and some of the BC mountains.
    2. Heli skiing in Alaska (this is my white whale)
    3. Hakkiado Japan
    4. South America

I want to knock off Alaska in the next 5 years before I get too old (turning 40 this month).

15. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Current bucket list: Not work 60+ hours a week.

Once that's out of the way, I think we're going on a long road trip. No real destination. Just kind of meander across the US. Sounds boring compared to marathons, jumping out of a helicopter to ski, swimming with sharks etc but the idea of hanging out in a cool city for X number of days and then when we've had our fill, we move on to the next one appeals to us.

16. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had long wanted to do a West Coast motorcycle tour with my dad, so a long, aimless road trip does not sound bad at all. Hell, East Cost from Maine to Florida in the late summer/early fall would be fantastic.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

One of my bucket list items was to drive up the West Coast, which I did about 10 years ago. Bought an old Porsche in San Diego, flew down to pick it up, spent a week driving up #1 all through California and Oregon. Big Sur, Carmel, etc. Amazing trip. Want to do it again sometime.

18. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A month or two driving around the country has been a bucket list item for me since I was about 16. But since a trip like that would be torture for the Mrsanthropic, I’ve elected to leave off things that would necessitate my wife being somehow out of the picture.

19. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since we're talking about drives, I've always wanted to drive old Route 66 from Chicago to California.

I stayed in a cheap motel on Route 66 on Oklahoma years ago when my brother was in prison; that was a wild trip.

There's a bunch of countries I'd love to visit, but sadly, most of them won't let me in.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1. Vain personal item, get cut so I can see my six pack at least once before I die.

2. Semi joking semi serious, two chicks at the same time.

3. Visit the Titanic museum in Belfast

4. Visit every continent (minus Antartica as Im more about the cultural experience). Still need Africa, South American, and Australia.