Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Boys season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, Aug 4, 2020.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I hate dramatic conversations in emergency situations. Move, dummies!

Every scene with Homelander's kid makes me shudder and cringe. Bet Becca wishes she left with Butcher now. Stormfront's sneery smile and fake niceness elevated the scenes to a whole new shudder.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Those two are horror monsters in a non-horror setting. Since everything that has a beginning has an end, their inevitable falling out should be something truly awesome.

Based on the pattern of the show last year, the finale should be even darker and nastier than THIS episode. I am predicting at least one shocking death of a main character, maybe two. It certainly doesn’t look good for Maeve, she’s in the same boat as Starlight now.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Im guess either Maeve or Starlight. Maeve because her character isn’t really doing anything. Starlight because the chick that plays her is a terrible actress and brings down whatever scene she’s in. Huey also needs a plot device to push him over the edge.

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm kind of surprised at Starlight's power-scaling. I don't expect her to stand up to Homelander or anything, but she got her shit absolutely wrecked by Black Noir twice, with the second time having her being on full alert and with ready access to all of the electrical power she could ask for. She can use a flashing light to blow the hinges off a reinforced steel door, but she can't give more than a token resistance to a hand-to-hand beatdown? Especially with how effortlessly Maeve dealt with Noir.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Best show on TV right now.

6. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Welp, there's some wacky stuff I haven't heard since I was debating "race realists" on twitter. I promise you there's a couple of folks out there going "Finally! Someone said it!".

I kinda wish she'd been properly obliterated, not left a burning husk to still give a farewell address.

So I guess Newman's reason for not just blowing up everybody she doesn't like is she's playing the long game? Leave a few enemies to rally your base around on your way to the Oval?

Good finale, a needed palate cleanser after that Raised by Wolves shit.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm a bit late to this season as I only got halfway through the 1st season initially... so have been binge watching the series for the past week (as much as I can), and just finished watching the beached whale episode.

I'm really enjoying the show... just wish I had more time to just "shut off" and focus on it right now... but too much other stuff going on.

Hoping to wrap it all up this weekend.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Shit I really thought the reveal was going to Stan Edgar. I'm still not convinced he's not a supe, though. Really enjoyed this season. It's my favorite show right now for sure.

9. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The girl fight had me giggling. Love that scene. Vought wanted some girl power and they got it.

I'm convinced Stormfront is still alive. Like a vampire. .... might take her a year to regenerate but bitch ain't dead. Her skin healed almost immediately when Homelander lasered it before.

I'm glad they didn't drag out the kid's storyline. They got to the point and wrapped that shit up fast.

The season finale really ended on a high note. There was some resolution to the Boys giving them a happy ending, an unexpected reveal, and a bit of humor taking the piss out of Homelander.

10. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, not piss exactly.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fun fact: that scene was shot for season 1, but ended up being the only thing Amazon insisted on cutting. The show's success has apparently given the showrunners enough cred that they stuck it back into season 2 and told Amazon "we know what we're doing, it stays in" and Amazon didn't overrule them.

12. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Was I the only sick bastard that thought when they zoomed out he was going to be doing "whatever he wanted" to what was left of stormfront

13. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was expecting that they'd show it landing on some poor pedestrian's head, "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" style.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I think they made a point in keeping Stormfront alive, if only barely. She’ll be back. She’s too good to just be in it for one season. I have no idea where they are going with head-exploding AOC, but should be interesting.

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

You're probably right, the viewer is supposed to know she is alive because we saw the her capabilities. The Boys just know she is youthful, not about her healing abilities. So they take for granted that she is dead but we know she is just holstered for awhile.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I thought he’d shoot a laser load on the city.

That was a good finale. The show has completely gone off the rails from the comic storyline now and is its own thing. No way to predict where it goes next.

I too think this is the best show currently on TV. I just hope it has what it takes to hit the “big cog” of the machine such as shows like Sopranos, Breaking Bad and GoT did.

#76 Crown Royal, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

18. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Really enjoyed this season.

I have to say, though,
    exploding peoples' heads seems to be an awfully specific super power. I mean, why heads? She can't explode, I don't know, torsos or something? Is popping heads now a signature move? And lastly, they focused on her eyes clouding up at the end of the last episode while she was activating her powers (which is consistent, since many of the supes have eye cues when activating powers), but she was in the hearing room and clearly visible the whole time. I even went and re-watched the scene to see if maybe they pulled some stunt where she was covering her face or something. Nope, eyes wide open and facing front, and would be on camera. So WTF?

That's just trivial stuff, though. Loved the season. Shaved-head girl seems ultra powerful and is now loose.

I also wonder how susceptible Homelander is to other powers. Like, can he get his head popped? I understand that, say, shooting him or zapping him or whatever is sensibly not effective, but an exploded head seems fairly permanent and destructive.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

To answer your spoiler, every character has a power specific to an already-existing superhero in DC or Marvel. Your person’s mentioned power is identical to the White Queen (Emma Frost)— who was basically what Charles Xavier would be if he were evil: instead of manipulate people, just flat-out blow up their brains. Bald Girl is (Dark) Phoenix, basically somebody with god-like telekenisis.

It looks like Jenson Ackles will be playing Soldier Boy next season, the Bucky/Robin boy wonder-type that Homelander cannot stand.

20. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See, that's the thing: this power still makes no sense. Emma Frost did not blow up peoples' heads. She had the ability to kill people by frying their brains, not cause what is essentially a localized explosion. Note: I'm definitely a nerd, but not a huge comic book nerd, so I could be wrong here - but a quick search didn't reveal anything. If this is a mental ability, the execution of it makes no sense. If this is a physical ability (shaved head girl seems like she could approximate this), okay, but surely it extends to more than popping skulls - and if so, why is it showcased so specifically?

Between the execution of the power and the gap I noted in the spoilers, it just seems less thoughtful than most of the rest of the series. And frankly, I think it's worse if this person is really analogous to Emma Frost, because mind control would be a lot more useful than just causing carnage.

Like I said, nitpicks really. But when a show is great, the small stuff stands out, and this just jumped out at me.