Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Forest Ranger, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Bute impressively knocked out Andrade. Good night of boxing all around [minus the terrible judging in Funeka-Guzman] as ShoBox had two very entertaining scraps tonight.

2. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I predicted bute to win, but not by knockout. good fight...cudos to Bute

3. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Boxing is something I've wanted to try for awhile. Any tips for how to beginner, what types of workouts I need to do anything like that? I played basketball and lacrosse all my life, but now I'm pretty out of shape. I plan on just doing some general working out, lifting, running, maybe some jump rope but once I'm back in shape how to do I learn to box? I'm asking for detailed advice cause otherwise I'm just gonna end up jumping rope for a little while a day and punching a heavy bag occasionally. Is there a workout plan someone can recommend?

edit: I need some detailed like:

Day 1: x minutes jump rope, x minutes speed bag, x minutes heavy bag

etc.

sorry if anything doesn't make sense I got my wisdom teeth removed and my brain is flooded with oxycodone at the monent

4. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

At first I was thinking Green might catch Roy with something and stop him, but the closer this fight draws I have been leaning Roy, likely by wide decision but possibly by stoppage.

Green is slow, plodding, and it will make Jones' speed look like how he was at 168 and 175. If Roy languishes against the ropes like he does sometimes, Green has a chance to catch him with a big shot but I don't see it happening. Green is obviously on roids, I remember seeing him fight a few years back and his arms have grown to ridiculous proportions. I actually think Roy might carry Green the distance so he doesn't stop the hometown hero.

Final prediction: Roy Jones by decision, with a knockdown somewhere in there. Scores of 117-110, 116-111, 118-109.

5. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

i will take your final prediction....and raise you with 120-105...at least a ten point lead in each round

6. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

So you decided to take the plunge. Boxing is a very serious sport. You rely solely upon yourself, and the amount of training you expose yourself to. If you take a day off, thats one day your opponent has on you. If you want to truly get into shape, and fight with heart, you have chosen the right sport ;)

First off, you said you are out of shape. Forget boxing for the moment. You need to build up your base. Boxing is all about stamina, who will last longer and harder. Run, every morning. Start off with 5 km a day, and work yourself up to 10 km a day. I get up at 5 am every morning and run, no matter how shit you feel, because it is worth it after. Even Muhammad Ali said he hated every minute of training, but he did it to become a champion. Once you get your base, check this out

It really helps to have someone there to actually show you to box, because how will you know what fishing is if no one ever shows you how to cast. Regardless...here is your daily planner.

20 min warmup Nonstop skipping (every 5 minutes skip as hard as you can for 2 minutes straight followed by a 3 minute rest of normal skipping) At the end of this warmup, you should be wet.

25 pushups 50 situps 25 pushups

30 minutes of shadow boxing

20 minutes speed bag

30 minutes heavy bag

this is a basic beginner program we have. As your stamina increases, you do a minimum of 300 pushups a day 500 situps 100 chinups 150 2 foot jump ups and pad work. It changes daily, so really instead of a day planner you would need a weekly planner. Best thing you can do is join a boxing gym....

hope that helped a little

7. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

8. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Defintaly the fight of the decade....possibly the century

9. MadDocker

MadDocker
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Green Machine! Too strong and planned that to a T.

10. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

We'll put it this way, your going to need to be at the pub drowning your prediction when you watch the upset of the green "machine" eating Roy's fist.

11. MadDocker

MadDocker
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Are they fighting again? Because Wednesday night Danny Green won by TKO in the very first round.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26433563-5009280,00.html

Looks like he might be fighting Hopkins next.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26437877-5009280,00.html

12. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Are they fighting again? Because Wednesday night Danny Green won by TKO in the very first round.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26433563-5009280,00.html

Looks like he might be fighting Hopkins next.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26437877-5009280,00.html[/quote]

i retire to the old folks home of foot in mouth

13. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Williams vs. Martinez was a hellacious war that had some controversial scoring. A Top 5 fight of the year.

I scored it 116-114 for Martinez but am not disappointed by the draw and one point score for Williams.

It was the fight I thought it was going to be in terms of how close it was, but holy hell it was about 1000000% better of a fight than I anticipated. I thought we were going to see a boring counterpunch-fest but instead we got two guys putting it all on the line. In the end, I saw Martinez land the much more damaging shots throughout. He seemed to gas about in the early middle part of the fight after building a good lead. I scored the first round 10-10 even though you could argue it was 10-9 Martinez. There was another round I scored even, when Martinez dominated the round and Williams hurt him with 10 seconds left in the round [I think it was the fifth?] and that was when Williams started rallying.

Tremendous fight, gotta give both of them a lot of credit for making it to the end on their feet. They both ate brutal shots throughout.

Fuck that 119-110 judge. Fuck him in his fucking ear.

14. graffin226

graffin226
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Good to see Victor Ortiz come back strong. That's just a likable kid, with some incredible talent.

I can't fucking stand Malignaggi. A total d-bag, I was really hoping to see him get knocked on his ass.

And finally, how the fuck did Kevin Johnson expect to win without throwing any punches?

15. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I feel the opposite. Victor Ortiz is highly unlikable. Everytime I've been around him in person, he seems phony. He also shat all over the guys that got him to where he is, namely former IBF 130-pound champion Roberto Garcia. Roberto's brother [the third best trainer in the family, LOL] is the guy who trains Victor now. Roberto is as likable a guy as there is in the sport and when I sat down with him he detailed all the things about Victor that nobody has really heard. He half-asses it in the gym, often quitting sparring when he is getting sonned. His backstory, which HBO likes to publicize any chance they get, is complete bullshit. The way the story goes with the kid is that at 13 or something he was working at McDonalds to support his younger brother since his dad walked away from the family. His dad was actually a migrant worker who left them to go work elsewhere and he was sending money to the family all along the way. Also, Victor wasn't working at McD's at 13 that is just absurd. Roberto said that when Victor was older, it was HIM who got Victor's brother a job.

I just don't have respect for phonies, and that is what Victor Ortiz is. In the public eye he comes across as a jokester, often not acting serious in his press conferences. Behind the scenes he is an asshole. Antonio Diaz was actually one of my favorites as I grew into a huge fan of the sport, that is the kind of guy that people should look up to. He fought his ass off every chance he got, and he would never have quit the way Victor did against Maidana. Ortiz looked like garbage against the slow Diaz, and if he plans on getting in the ring against Maidana again, he is getting smashed. Golden Boy better keep him away from punchers for awhile, because this kid's confidence is in the gutter. All the athletic talent in the world but he is a mental midget.

16. graffin226

graffin226
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Now, I don't know the guy personally, so all I have to go by is his public persona. So I guess what I meant to say is he -seems- like a likable kid. You're right about the lovefest that HBO gives him and his 'history'. It's bordering on obsessive.

*Either way, he's a hell of a fighter, and personally I look forward to his fights.

*Clearly I'm not the most knowledgeable boxing fan. I just started following the sport in the spring.*

17. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Showtime's boxing schedule for their World Championship Boxing series for 2010:

February 6th - Edwin Valero vs. Antonio DeMarco

March 6th - Arthur Abraham vs. Andre Dirrell [Super 6 bout]

April 17th - Andre Ward vs. Jermain Taylor / Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler [Super 6 bouts]

May 22nd - Israel Vazquez vs. Rafael Marquez IV

This doesn't include whatever Timothy Bradley's next fight is going to be, and Nonito Donaire vs. Vic Darchinyan 2 is being discussed as well. Also bet that a few of these cards will have nice televised co-features to go along with it. HBO should take note, Showtime looks like it is going to kick some ass in the first half of the year.

18. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pacquiao/Mayweather fight is off. In a related story, Floyd Mayweather is a gigantic bitch.

19. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

that is complete bullshit. let me guess floyds major reason was money

20. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

My article about former Contender participant Jesse Brinkley's fight against Curtis Stevens on ESPN next Friday:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://fightfannation.com/brinkley012210.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fightfannation.com/brinkley012210.html</a>