Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Forest Ranger, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Terrific sport based upon something man must learn at one point in his life. If there are any boxers out there or aspiring boxers who do you fight for and how did you get into the sport. Anyone following the fights?

Just to start. I am a canadian fighter, started the year before I entered high school. I fight for the CJFA. There is no other sport out there that gives me the rush, the adrenaline or the anger that boxing does. We have a few professional fighters including Steve Molitor, Logan Mcguiness and Andrew Kooner.

2. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I am a boxing writer, been doing it for almost two years now. I have covered all sorts of fights ranging from club shows all the way up to big HBO cards. Some of the best fights I have seen live involve guys with uneven records in six or eight round fights. I am only 21 but consider myself a well-learned student of the game and I know my history back to about 1960 or so. I have four or five binders full of fights on DVD and try and learn as much as I possibly can.

Curious if anyone caught tonight's doubleheader on Showtime? Joseph Agbeko lost his bantamweight title to Yohnny Perez in a thrilling fight that deserves a rematch. Antonio DeMarco picked up an interim lightweight title by stopping Jose Alfaro in ten.

Agbeko is one of my favorite fighters and I am hoping this setback doesn't cost him too much. He beat Darchinyan three months ago and has proven to be worthy of spots on big shows, he ALWAYS delivers fan friendly fights.

3. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

who is it you write for

4. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

UltimateBoxingResults.com. I sometimes freelance for newspapers but most of my stuff is for that site. Working on an op-ed piece right now about how the mainstream sports media does a terrible job of covering boxing.

5. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I hear ya bud, not too much good coverage out there on fights. If your not in the boxing world, people just don't feel they should give a shit about it.

I'm hoping there is more than two boxers on this forum....

On a side note, taking up mma, judo, jutitsu and wrestling is where I am at. I am in love with boxing and will never stop, although I would like to have some variations in my ground game, because not everyone fights fair.

6. TheFalconer

TheFalconer
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

I've been working at Muay Thai since about April. I had a month or two hiatus while I was finding a new gym but I'm going for my first fight on Nov 14. I got into at first because I was bored of just going to the gym and lifting weights but the more I progressed (not an incredible amount I promise you) the more I enjoyed the challenge of actually putting all the training drills to use and stepping in the ring with someone. We'll see how it holds up in a true fight I suppose. I think at this point my biggest obstacle is going to be my cardio training or lack thereof. As someone with no experience whatsoever in combat sports, it is totally different mindset you have to posses than with team sports. In my limited experience so far, not being aggressive translates into getting hit in the head a lot.

7. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Haha. Before I became a boxer I was all about team sports. It way different when you have a team there to help you out if your slacking a little, or to have your back. When your in these combat sports, you're all on your own. Only you and you alone are going to make the difference in the fight.

It's the person who is willing to die, to put it all over the line who is going to win that fight.

quitters never win, winners never quit

8. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Pacquiao-Cotto is this weekend, can't believe it's almost here. This fight will be good, unlike the abortion that was Mayweather-Marquez. The favored man is the smaller fighter in Pacquiao. I see this fight as a pick'em but oddsmakers have Pac at about a 2.5 to 1 favorite. I think those odds are ridiculous although I wouldn't bet against Pacquiao.

The undercard is going to be garbage except for one fight. Alfonso Gomez vs. Jesus Soto Karass is a fight fan's fight. Two action fighters at similar levels. I think this one will be a slugfest. But then there's the shitfests in Chavez, Jr. against Troy Rowland and Daniel Santos vs. Yuri "Boreman" Foreman. That fight will suck ass.

9. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

It is in your best interest not to bet against a man who is undeniably the best fighter pound for pound. Not saying he is the greatest of all time, and even the greatest fall....but this fight I don't think will hold as much surprise as the media is making it seem.

Don't be doubting those odds, they are gunna make money for someone big time

Manny has it in the bag, as for the others....the undercard I'm not really phsyched about unless I know more about them, and I haven't heard much about those guys.

10. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Cotto-Pacquiao less than six hours away.

Can't believe it!

11. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Anyone watching the Molitor fight at Rumble at Rama saturday the 21st. He just came back to our gym a few months ago and is trying to get his title back. Should be a good bout. I know hes going to get his belt back...just a matter of time

12. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't think much of Molitor. He was a guy who was matched well in his career in order to get the belt and I consider him a B-level fighter in his weight class. Second-tier, but with the right matchmaking he could get a belt again. The guy he is fighting shouldn't be a threat to beat him but I don't like Molitor's chances against any of the current title holders. Caballero walked right through him already, JuanMa Lopez is a pound-for-pound great fighter, Nishioka took care of a better fighter in Jhonny Gonzalez, and Poonsawat Krattingdaegym is the weakest of the four belt holders and he has the wrong style for Molitor, a great inside fighter who can take a lot of punishment. Super bantamweight is too deep right now.

13. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

After Molitor lost that fight to Cabellero, a lot of people were talking like that. I know him personally as we both have the same coach and train at the same gym, but even when he had his title, we was a very stand offish fighter, never really following through. When he lost, Molitor became a new man. You watch in 2010 when he gets his title shot...

14. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Ward takes title home, puts Oakland back on the map
    Mark Ortega, ringside

In front of just over 10,200 fans, Oakland, California's very own Olympic Gold medalist Andre Ward reached the goal he and trainer Virgil Hunter set out to conquer more than fifteen years ago, totally dismantled veteran warrior Mikkel Kessler at the Oracle Arena Saturday night via eleventh round technical decision, earning the WBA super middleweight title as well as securing great position for himself in Showtime's Super Six World Boxing Classic.
    Ward completely dominated from the outset, utilizing his jab and superior handspeed to totally befuddle the reigning champion. In the first round, Ward pushed the jab out and followed it with right hands, and as he grew more comfortable he began to throw lead right hands and hooks as well. Ward opted to switch to southpaw midway through the round and landed the left jab with regularity out of that stance. Ward was surprisingly comfortable on the inside against a fighter many considered the stronger man.
    Kessler had some success going to the body early on in the fight but that was the furthest he would get offensively. Kessler had perhaps his best round in the second, but Ward was successful with right hooks and boxed beautifully around the ring.
    In the fourth round, Kessler landed a good clubbing right midway through the round, but Ward came right back with three punches of his own. The referee signaled that there was a cut caused by a punch, but in between rounds the referee seemingly changed his mind and ruled it due to a headbutt, and that the cut was opened further by a punch.
    Kessler was fighting Ward evenly for much of the fifth, but Ward was landing the more impressive punches, causing Kessler's head to snap back numerous occasions with crisp jabs and right hands. Ward turned southpaw at the end of the round again.
    Ward started widening the gap in the sixth, as Kessler seemed more and more hesitant to engage with him. Ward continued his dominance in the seventh, as he began to lead with right hands as well as mix in some left uppercuts. Ward's hand speed had Kessler in trouble all throughout the bout, and Kessler was unable to close the gap in hand speed.
    Kessler looked like a beaten fighter by the ninth round, seemingly going through the motions as the younger and fresher Ward pressed forward with his attack. Ward began fighting like a guy who was anything but weary of Kessler's power, firing off quick one-twos and circling around Kessler in the center of the ring.
    Ward continued his dominance into the championship rounds, outboxing Kessler while staying out of the range of Kessler's right hand. Midway into the eleventh round, Kessler was deemed unable to continue due to a cut caused by a headbutt, forcing the fight to go to the scorecards. The official scorecards read 97-93, and 98-92 twice for the newly-crowned WBA champion out of Oakland, California. Ward walked away from the bout nearly unscathed, with nothing more than a mouse appearing outside of his right eye. Kessler was much more worse for the wear, having secured more than a few cuts throughout the bout.
    With the win, Ward positions himself in the Super Six tournament as a favorite to advance to the semi-finals considering his next two opponents, Jermain Taylor and Andre Dirrell, both lost their “Stage One” bouts and were seen as the weaker links in the monumental tournament.
    “He didn't like the inside work, the body shots, sometimes he'd be grunting,” said an ecstatic Ward in the post-fight press conference. “We knew that going in, so part of what I wanted to do was make it rough. I got a little overanxious sometimes and he would counter me sometimes, but honestly he never buzzed me, he never hurt me.”
    Ward is a fighter who has been criticized throughout his career for numerous things, but few can look at this fight and take something away from Ward who thoroughly dominated a guy that many pegged as the favorite to win the tournament.
    “They had questions about my chin early on. I fought Miranda, and he's as hard a hitter as they come and I got hit more in that fight than I wanted to, and came right back and still didn't get credit,” Ward said.
    “Then they said, 'Kessler, he's a big puncher...if he hits Ward, he's going to be in trouble.' Well I got hit a few times tonight, I felt that we showed ourselves strong, we came right back, and I just think over time people are going to have to give us our just due. I'm not going to demand it with my words, I'm just going to keep proving it in the ring.”
    Ward's promoter, Dan Goossen, elaborated further. “Tonight, I think he won America over and I don't think there are going to be too many naysayers. I think he is a new star that people are going to believe in.”
    It only took twenty-one professional fights and two world championships [one in Athens in 2004 and the super middleweight crown he lifted on Saturday], but Ward will assuredly be getting his proper credit after delivering a virtuoso performance over a tough opponent.

UNDERCARD RESULTS:
    In a scheduled eight-round junior middleweight bout, Daly City, California's Karim “Hard Hitta” Mayfield [11-0-1, 7 KOs] started out slowly before laying a beating on Santa Barbara, California's Francisco Santana [11-2, 5 KOs] via fifth round technical knockout in a rematch of a March 2008 bout that Mayfield won by razor-thin split decision. The first round saw both guys fight tentatively with Karim landing the only two meaningful punches of the round, two clubbing overhand rights. In the second round, Mayfield worked his jab and followed up with left hooks. Both fighters held a lot throughout the fight until they opened up in the fifth round. Mayfield started the action with a sweeping right hook that landed on the chin of Santana. Mayfield followed with a flurry against the ropes that featured hooks to the body and clubbing overhand rights that eventually dropped Santana. After his opponent returned to his feet, Mayfield went in for the kill and landed a wicked left hook to the body that setup another right hook and a follow-up overhand right that put Santana down a second time and prompted referee Dan Stell to wave off the fight at 2:27 of the fifth round.
    In a four-round super middleweight bout, Oakland, California's Tony Hirsch [10-3-1, 5 KOs] notched the biggest win of his career in outgunning former #1 rated welterweight contender and Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. opponent Jose Celaya via a unanimous decision victory.
    In an over-the-weight four-round lightweight affair, Antelope, California's Stan Martyniouk [8-0, KO] outboxed Anthony Martinez [21-33-3, 9 KOs] of Turrialba, Costa Rica. Martyniouk fought at a measured pace in the opening round, moving beautifully while mixing in varied punch combinations. Martyniouk stuck to his game plan in the second, moving around the ring before planting his feet and firing off left hook and left uppercuts at will. Martinez had a few moments in the round where he trapped Stan in the corner and fired off a few good body shots. The third round saw Martyniouk fairly dominate the round behind his jab and superior handspeed. In the final round, Martyniouk trapped Martinez against the ropes and unleash a flurry of punches before Martinez postured against the ropes. All three judges scored the bout a shutout for Martyniouk, 40-36. UBR scored the bout 40-36 as well.
    In the opening fight of the night, Mel Crossty [4-0-1, KO] of Cincinnati, Ohio scored an early knockdown in round one en route to a unanimous decision victory over the game but outmatched Carlos Herrera [2-3, KO] of Oxnard, California in a super featherweight attraction. Crossty's knockdown of Herrera in the opening round was more of a glancing blow that caused the glove of Herrera to touch the canvas, prompting the referee to issue a count. The two fighters opened up in the third with both guys landing vicious shots. Crossty boxed a little more in the final stanza but Herrera landed a big overhand right every so often. The official scores of the bout were 39-36 and 40-35 twice. UBR scored the bout 39-36 for Crossty.
    Saturday night's card was promoted by Goossen-Tutor Promotions in association with Sauerland Event and Antonio Leonard Productions. The main event was televised on Showtime Championship Boxing as part of their Super Six World Boxing Classic as well as internationally.

15. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

terrific coverage bud...hope that put some dough in your pocket

16. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yeah, a few bucks. Was just great to be able to be ringside for such a great night of boxing in the Bay Area. And thanks for the compliment.

You're a Molitor fan...this weekend is fellow Canadian Lucian Bute's defense of his IBF 168-pound title against Librado Andrade in a rematch of their fight that saw Bute nearly stopped at the end of a controversial 12th round. Who do you think takes this one? Joan Guzman fights Ali Funeka in the opening bout of the televised portion of the card for the IBF 135-pound vacant title.

I got Bute cruising to a 10-2 type decision. Not sure who wins the first bout, but Guzman should be a slight favorite.

17. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Haha, we go to the same gym. He rubs off on me sometimes. Andrew Singh Kooner as well I'm not sure if you heard of him, up and coming.

I remember that 12th round...seems like there was definatly mixed feelings about it. Bute is a strong fighter, a hook that could move a tank, though I think Andrade will be pretty hungry to take him down, especially after pounding him and finding his weak spots. I'm guessing Andrade will put it all on the line and go for the knockout, with Bute going to the 12th round and winning by decision...again

18. MadDocker

MadDocker
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Danny Green vs. Roy Jones Jnr coming up on Wednesay. Can't wait to get down to the pub and have a look.

19. CPW

CPW
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

So, can somebody explain the results of the Guzman-Funeka fight to me?!?!

I'm the first to admit I'm no expert, but I watched this fight tonight and cannot for the life of me figure how this was scored a draw.

I'm all ears, enlighten me...

20. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Because Canada features some of the most corrupt and incompetent officials in all of the world. Ranks right up there with Germany.