Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Borgias

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by toejam, Apr 5, 2011.

1. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Did anyone else catch Showtime's new Vatican-themed sex, murder, and politics drama? It stars Jeremy Irons as the head of the Borgia family/the Christian world. It's a fairly fresh setting and seems kind of promising, at least from the first episode. I'll probably be watching it each week.

[​IMG]
    Jeremy Irons upset to learn that the pope is not supposed to have sex with women.

2. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did a lot of research on them in highschool, I'm excited to watch some of this (and not just because of Scar- er Jeremy Irons)

3. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thoroughly enjoying the series so far. I love Jeremy Irons and everything he's ever been in. I was actually thinking about canceling Showtime until the new season of Dexter started because since Dexter has been off, I don't think I've tuned to any of their channels once.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Watching it as well, and was quite impressed with the first episode.

5. InDollarsWeTrust

InDollarsWeTrust
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

First episode was a lot of fun. It'll be interesting to see how they handle all the plots that are sure to come up and if they'll be able to keep us guessing without it just being a complete mess.

Also, felt like they moved the Tudors to another location (this is a good thing).

6. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even with how Anti-Borgia I went in (having played the Assassin's Creed games rather extensively), I found myself rooting for that douche Cesare nonetheless.

Lucrezia is supposed to be 14? that girl has gotta be 23...

7. Pato

Pato
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I really dig this story and I sincerely hope they manage to pull off something great. Does this thread even need spoiler tags when referring to deaths? ...

Because we all know Cesare dies after a 30 minute swordfight with Ezio.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No need for spoiler tags for stuff that has already happened.

People should be smart enough to not check out this thread until after they've seen the most recent episode.

If you're guessing what might happen based on some external semi-plausible source (like a book it was based on, or someone in the cast, or an interview with the director, etc), then spoiler it with a warning. But feel free to guess on your own and discuss potential plot developments, etc.

If you are watching on the East coast and wanted to be really considerate to those of us on the West coast, then you could spoiler stuff until we've had a chance to see it.

Nice, but not required.

Make sense? Really, I think it's just common sense mixed with common courtesy.

9. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why does it seem like no one is watching this show? Jeremy Irons is nailing it, and the Prince of Naples just might be the funniest/creepiest character on TV right now.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've been downloading it, but haven't watched it yet... just no time. I watched the first episode and liked it a lot, but want to be able to devote the time to watch it when I'll be able to pay attention without distraction.

11. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I had to stop watching because I kept spacing out during the show. The first episode was good, but the show has been getting progressively more tedious. Agreed that Jeremy Irons is doing his bit well, but he's in very few scenes and the rest of the characters are 100% useless. I'm having a hard time articulating why the show isn't working for me, but if the words hit me I'll fill in later.

12. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love it and look forward to it every week. Emmanuelle Chriqui was a random appearance, but I've enjoyed her being on there. However, her banging Juan before going into bed with Gioffre was just messed up. As was her implied having sex with an 11 year old (?) in general. What the hell?

13. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, definitely messed up, but then I remember it is 15th century Italy, and that is hardly the most messed up thing happening.

I can't stand Juan, and it took me until last week to realize he is the stupid prick from Pillars of the Earth. Hate that guy.