Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Book Of Boba Fett

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by walt, Dec 31, 2021.

1. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Episode One premiered yesterday on D+ and I'm surprised at the mixed reviews from friends. What's more, I'm really surprised by the hatred from some Star Wars "fans" on the internet ( although by now I shouldn't be).

I wasn't expecting complete badassery right out of the gate, so maybe my expectations were easier to meet. I think part of the problem is Boba Fett has long been this assumed badass of a character despite having so little screen time and what, maybe four lines of dialogue in the original movies? Or perhaps he really was a badass, but is older and wiser now, and playing more of a long game.

Did you watch it? And if so, what are your thoughts on it?

2. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

I saw it, thought it was great. Fuck Star Wars “fans”, what the hell were they expecting?

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Same. I thought they did a great job setting up the series.

The only complaint I had was that some of the fight scenes looked a little too cartoonish, but otherwise, I’m fully on board and looking forward to the next one.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I liked it okay.. I'm willing to give it more episodes. I thought it was a little slow, but necessarily so, to set up the rest to come. I didn't think it quite matched the gritty tone that Mandalorian has, but there may be some intentionality in that so it's not a clone (ha) of it. I'm all on board with more shows with these characters in these worlds.

The music was excellent. I was pleasantly surprised to see a new creature, with the 6-legged thing. We shall see.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I also thought it was interesting to see a more complicated side to the Sand People.

That final scene of "you made my kid look good... respect" spoke volumes of things to come, I think.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

This was about my take on it. I watched it and liked it.

I'm not super invested in the story... yet. Could be the slow build. I think something about Mando not removing his helmet gave some intrigue, but I can't recall at what point I was hooked. Probably his mystique + baby yoda and a mission to save the baby.

I'll tune in to see where this goes.

7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I greatly enjoyed this second episode. I can’t post about something that happened because I can’t find the spoiler button on mobile. I’ll get to it later.

8. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought it was fun. Wondering how long until the flashbacta tank bit gets old.

9. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even my buddy who was a skeptic last week texted me to say he enjoyed it. But you're right, the flashbacks are gonna have to give way to the present. I'm betting they will with the next episode.

I love the story that Filoni and Favarau are doing around seemingly mundane characters and other things.

I mean, adding in Tosche Station was cool. Then having Camie and Fixer from the deleted scene of ANH? Fucking brilliant!

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Definitely fun.

I dub this episode...

Driver's Ed with Boba Fett.

11. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On Reddit someone called it:

Dances With Banthas

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Ooh, I like that. Better than mine.

13. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This week’s episode was okay. A buddy of mine thinks that for as badass as Boba is supposed to be, he seems to take a bit of a beating on a regular basis.

And while ya have to take into consideration Boba Fett is over 40, I’m starting to see his point.

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

This last episode was killer. I won't spoil it but excitement level: 100

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Oh hell yeah. Watched it last night, and had no idea of the relative time lines. I'm giggling with excitement over here.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't even get into all those details about "what was the symbol on the toolbox?!" and all that. I just really enjoyed it. Bryce Dallas Howard seems to have good feel for the SW feel. I also thought seeing the
    N-1(?) Starfighter get brought back to life was really cool. But, I kept thinking, where's he gonna put anything?

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't really love this idea that somehow Jedi are supposed to distance themselves from everything and yet they still have friends and loyalties.

Also why are we watching an entire Mandalorian plot line in the middle of a TV show about Boba Fett? Just seemed like randomly shoehorning other shows' plots into this show.

The ship is awesome, though.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Timothy Fucking Olyphant!

19. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is 0 chance that they didn’t shoot those episodes for season 3 of the mandelorian and then decide to scrap them for whatever reason. It didn’t fit in at all.

20. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was an amazing ending.