Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Best Scenes from Movies

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Juice, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Some movies scenes stand out and completely make a film. Other scenes are so much better than the rest of the movie and others become iconic. For Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, I think its safe to say that this scene at the end is what makes the whole thing:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Great soundtrack, great editing and absolute brutality for an otherwise mostly light-hearted movie.

Focus: Favorite movie scenes.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I have always thought that the ultimate B-Movie also delivered the ultimate ending, this is possibly my favourite scene ever. The Crow was a movie even better than the comic: it was wrought with emotion and heartbreaking melancholy, and the closing moments were icing on the cake.

#2 Crown Royal, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Heat, the shootout scene... I remember it being on 2 VHS tapes, and it was the craziest thing I'd seen in a movie up until that point.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Apocalypse Now, Kill The Wabbit scene:

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That scene is why surround-sound was invented. I just remember it was like being inside a fireworks display in the theatres. Nobody echoes a gunshot like Michael Mann.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Back when studios had the balls to make superhero movies for adults. His transformation scene is like some shit out of the 80s, but still great:

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

This is what I consider to be Brad Pitt's best movie, and this is my favourite scene from it. Saw it in the theatre, and the audio mixing on this scene was otherworldly.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This scene still gets me every time. It's the best part of one of my favorite movies. The multiple realizations, the frenetic urgency in Jody Foster's voice as she makes her way back to the lab, the craziness of her team jumping into action, the camera work as she arrives at the lab and it follows her in through the dialogue, are all so good. This was the first movie I bought on DVD after already owning the VHS, just so I could try out my new surround system.

This is the only YouTube version I could find that shows the whole scene, and the video clarity is not great.

9. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a backstory to this scene, why he goes apeshit, but you'll have to watch the movie, Lonesome Dove. I recommend reading the book first, this scene reads better than a made for TV movie scene. If you haven't at least read the book, you're really missing out.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Another classic:

11. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My vote for best acted scence: Walken and Hopper in True Romance. Might be my favorite movie, but narrowing it down to 1 scence, I think this wins.

Guess it's not fucking white boy day (runner up scene):

For best use of music in a scene: The Devil's Rejects

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

One of the best movies scenes ever here rips off/pays total homage to what is considered by many as THE most famous movie scene in history— the notorious “Odessa Steps Massacre” scene in Battleship Potemkin turned into an unforgettable, spine-tingling shootout:

Here is the original (keep in mind this is a film shot in 1924):

#12 Crown Royal, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  13. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not saying it makes the movie, but one my favorite scenes is from Good Will Hunting. The part when Will and Sean meet for the first time, Will thinks he found a way to get in Sean's head and Williams' characters reaction to not allowing anyone to disrespect his wife gets me every time.

Fast forward to around 2:25

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I thought about this scene too. There’s not a filmmaker alive, including Tarantino himself, that would have the balls to film that scene today.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Tarantino wrote it (then disowned it) so there’s that.

In fact, I think Tarantino disowned every single movie he wrote but didn’t direct, except for From Dusk Till Dawn and his rewriting (without credit) of “Crimson Tide”. He disowned Natural Born Killers, one of THE best films of the 90’s. He hated how it became a media satire, he wrote it as a murderous road movie. Is there a more 90’s film than THAT?

...maybe “Airbourne”.
    DC1977FC-42FE-4613-8393-38CB65CA97CE.jpeg

#15 Crown Royal, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
  16. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I couldn’t decide between these two scenes- both are fantastic. I love the sense of unease that just builds and builds over the course of this movie. Definitely John Carpenter’s best work.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If you haven’t seen “The Void” yet, you should be watching it right now. No CGI, 100% nightmare fuel.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I submit this as one of the best fight scenes. IP Man can go cry in a corner.

One of the fun Easter eggs of the John Wick movies is a lot of the cast from the Raid films pop up here and there.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Best scene in one of the best movies ever:

Obviously the dialogue gets all the attention but Frank Whaley, Phil Lamar, and the Flock of Seagulls guy really make the scene great with killer portrayals of abject terror.

The T-Rex escape scene from the original Jurassic Park is still one of my all time favorite action sequences. Nothing in the new bullshittery that is the Jurassic World nonsense even come close to being as well executed. The sound design is the standout which the movie won the Oscars for sound editing and sound mixing.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Word. The first time anybody watched the T-Rex rip through the fence it put heartbeats on a launchpad-style “HOLD”. No effects before, (even T2) had come close to that. That was the moment CGI had truly arrived.