Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

the be all end all video game thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by hawt, Oct 19, 2009.

1. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know if this helps, but I saw an ad on TV yesterday that if you order Sports Illustrated you get NBA Live free. I think the subscription costs about the same as a new game.

2. Maxi

Maxi
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Little Big Planet, all good PS3 exclusives.

3. mobkah20

mobkah20
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just rented NBA 2k10 to compare a little bit, a lot different than live and takes some getting used to. But overall I think it's better than Live so far.
    I'm still sucking tho

4. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For those of you who are big Diablo fans and are itching for the release of Diablo III, I found a game tonight that seems like it may be a pretty good fix till then.

Torchlight

It's not as full featured and graphically rich as a game like Diablo III, but its got the same gameplay. for the 30 minutes that I played it tonight, I had quite a bit of fun with it.

Also, if you ever played the Warcraft III mod 'Defense of the Ancients' (DotA), there is a new stand alone game that is free to play made by the guys that did DotA called League of Legends. I haven't played it yet, but I downloaded it and plan to spend some time playing over this weekend.

Now that I have shared my extreme level of nerdness, I shall return to the gloomy darkness that is my WoW addiction.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

March is shaping up to be a big month for PS3. God of War 3 and Gran Turismo 5.

There are a multitude of FPS exclusives. Killzone, Resistance, and the sure to be good but largely overshadowed by Modern Warfare 2, MAG from Zipper the people who did the original Socoms.

Im happy with my PS3, though seeing all the xbox GTA4 exclusives has been turning me green a little.

6. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't worry, we'll get them, just like we did for Fallout 3, then we can laugh cause Rockstar is making Agent exlusively for PS3

GTA DLC for PS3

7. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Torchlight is fucking awesome. I bought it two days ago on the suggestion of our QA manager and sat down to play for a bit at about 8:00 pm. When I looked up it was 2 AM. My Level 17 Destroyer (i.e. Barbarian) is currently dual-wielding giant-ass swords and sends monsters flying away in all directions with every cleave. Think Sauron in the opening scene of The Fellowship of the Ring.

I disagree with the claim that it's not as graphically rich as Diablo. It takes the same approach to art as World of Warcraft: the character models aren't particularly complex by today's standards, but the art style has boatloads of character. It's not high-tech, but it is beautiful. The level design also incorporates details like other floors visible beneath the one you're fighting on, which does a lot to dispel the feeling of fighting in a bunch of corridors. (Edit: Oh, you said Diablo 3. Yeah, maybe. My argument still stands in comparison to Diablo 2 though.

Yeah, and the whole thing is just $20.

Really, this game improves on and solves a ton of my little annoyances with Diablo 2. For example:

- The town of Torchlight has two goblins who deal with socketed items. One of them empties the sockets in an item, destroying the gems, and the other recovers the gems, destroying the object. It's a brilliant decision that has actually made me USE gems and socketed items. Now, when I find a new, better piece of equipment, I can still get back the gems I used on the old one, and if I find a better gem for a really great object, I can just get rid of the old gem.

- All dropped gold is hoovered up by your character automatically.

- No Lootris. All objects take up a single slot in your inventory, with healing potions and scrolls stacking to 20 apiece.

- A chest in town acts as a shared stash between all of your characters. So far I've found one unique bow and five armor set pieces that I can't use, so into the shared stash they go for my future characters to enjoy.

- Your pet has an inventory. You can load him up with useless vendor trash, and when he's full, you can send him back to town to sell it all. This is so astoundingly awesome it's a wonder no one's done it before.

8. bukowskionice

bukowskionice
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Taking a little break about halfway through Modern Warfare 2's campaign just to say GOOD EFFING LORD.

I've played through all of the CoD games, though was never one of the hardcore 10th prestige types.

The mission early on where you're gunning down civilians in a Russian airport is easily one of the saddest, most visceral game moments I've ever experienced. It really plays with your conscience in ways that Fable 2 and Fallout 3 never came close to, in my opinion. The mission where you first see the invasion of suburban Virginia while the sweeping string music plays in the background was the other real high point for me. This game takes what CoD4 did and ups the hell out of the ante.

Ok. Time for more killing!

9. hawt

hawt
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

quote]

I'm sold, I'll be getting it when I get home from work. I've been looking for a worth Diablo replacement for a while but I got sick of Titan Quest pretty quickly since there is hardly anyone online, and those that are all seemed to have hacked characters. I didn't see anything about built-in multiplayer, but it looks like someone developed a multiplayer mod. Once I get everything up and running maybe a few of us can run around killing baddies.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Howd you score one? IGN reported that some some retailers ended selling early. Im sure this game will be dominating many a message boards in the next few weeks.

11. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hang on. It's a single-player only game. The devs did not include multiplayer due to budget constraints and dev time. Yes, people have already tried hacking together a multiplayer version, but I wouldn't expect any solid multiplayer from that group for at least several months, if it goes anywhere at all.

If you're getting Torchlight expecting multiplayer, you'll be very, very disappointed. But if you like single-player gaming it's fantastic.

12. prexus

prexus
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I agree. It does almost everything Diablo II did single player-wise, and some things a lot better.

I also thought I should mention that some of the developers came to Torchlight from the previous Diablo clone, [ur=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate_%28video_game%29l]Fate[/url], which already had some of the features you mentioned earlier: Pets, same death options, etc.

Torchlight was utterly awesome, but I now have Dragon Age. Good bye spare time.

13. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Anyone here have a new XBOX360 Elite? I got the red ring of death on my old one and I figured it was the perfect excuse to get the elite (I'm getting a new one no matter what, I've had it for four years and it has other problems). Is it worth it?

14. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I've had an Elite for just over two years now and have never had any problems with it. Knock on wood, but it's still running perfectly. The bigger hard drive was definitely worth it for the amount of Rock Band DLC I've downloaded as well.

Plus, black does a better job of blending into the entertainment center.

15. hawt

hawt
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I know there is no official multiplayer. When I read about the multiplayer on the forums I thought it was done. Regardless I bought the game and I'm loving it right now. I am a level 10 mage/alchemist or whatever.

16. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Kind've what I was wondering. I've been reading that Gamestop has released it in some stores in the north east but here in MN it is still waiting until the midnight release. I was hoping to find it at a mom-n-pop shop after work today.

17. Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

For those of you on the fence about Torchlight, they actually give you 2 hours of gametime to try it. All you have to do is download it at HERE, install it and choose the demo. I played about an hour last night and I think I'm going to be buying it. Just sucks because I can't remember a time when so many good games came out at once. Between Borderlands, Dragon Age, MW2, Assassins Creed 2, and this one I don't have time to play them.

18. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm having this exact same problem. Torchlight came out of nowhere and surprised me with a great game, and Dragon Age has been really good so far too. I'm gonna learn from my past mistakes and actually wait to get MW2 until I'm finished with Dragon Age. I hate having all these great games because I would inevitably try to play them all at once, switching off between them, and I would end up not being able to enjoy them all to the fullest.

Like I said above, I'm really enjoying Dragon Age. I ended up playing through three different origin stories as all three different classes before I finally decided on a Mage character. Now that I'm getting more into the story it is getting pretty good and there are some pretty interesting choices you have to make.

For Instance, I have at this point killed two children that were possessed by demons. A bit fucked up, but it definitely makes for some captivating stuff.

19. CubbieBlue

CubbieBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have had as much fun playing Dragon Age as I used to have playing SNES and Playstation games when I was 14. A really fun, addicting game.

Too many good games out now. I hate how 5 awesome games drop in one month, then jack shit comes out for like 6 months.

20. PenetrationStation

PenetrationStation
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Oh my god. Akimbo mp5s. This is a wet dream from my Counterstrike adolescence. I don't want to wake up.