Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

the be all end all video game thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by hawt, Oct 19, 2009.

1. rupee

rupee
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Part of my enjoyment of these games is seeing the insane builds and players that people make. I’m really enjoying the guy wearing nothing but a pot on his head, dual wielding katanas named “Let me solo her” just wants to be summoned for Malenia fights. And, I think it was Kotaku that highlighted another guy who fights bosses only using ass slams.

2. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ditto, as of this past weekend.
    And I still have more stuff to do, an entire region to be explored with the "hardest boss of all" at the end. Luckily I've opened up the shop for all upgrade mats so I can build any arsenal for the task. And you know? When I'm well and truly done with all the content, I don't expect that I'll continue into NG+. This game is massive, and with no additional content in subsequent playthroughs I really don't feel the urge to trudge thru it all again, only harder. It's gonna be a one and done until any DLC is announced.

They could, and should have left some of this excess content for a NG+ playthrough. There certainly was enough "game" there regardless. Or at least bring back the black phantoms? Gravelord covenant?

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I’m with you. I have no desire to jump into NG+ whatsoever. I’m also just tying up loose ends with some of the major bosses. The only area I haven’t explored is Deeproot Depths and I’m not sure if I give a shit. I love the game, and it’s definitely GOTY, but it was just too frustrating at some points to do it all over again. After Fire Giant, it became more of a chore and I pushed right to the end.

Saw your vid, kudos for winning with your Mimic. I couldn’t do it, I used Black Knife Tiche instead and the fight was much easier. She just carved right through Radagon and EB with the black flame damage.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I just played a little so far, but I'm liking Frost Punk a lot. You are the leader of a group of ice age refugees who have to power up and keep a coal generator going to provide heat for the group. It's sort of a resource gathering and city management game. The controls on the Xbox are pretty intuitive. The management and policy choices highlight the dire straights a group would be in during a global winter. I feel like I'm not making the game sound fun but I enjoyed it. I do generally like city building games though.

5. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've had that one on my Steam wish list forever. I really should pull the trigger and buy it one of these days. I do love a good city management game.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

It's a lot of fun. Kinda relaxing to play.

It's free on the Xbox game pass, if you have it.

7. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unfortunately only have PC as an option. Will still keep it open as an option for sure, though.

8. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you have a chance, make sure you pick up the new ninja turtles game. Kicking the shit out of the footclan just feels satisfying. It hits nostalgia for the old games and the tv show. My only complaint is that the game is fairly little short. But I foresee it being replayed every time someone comes over for the foreseeable future.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Might just get it. I missed the Turtles In Time remake about 13 years ago and I dont think it's available anywhere. I played the shit out of that on SNES as a kid.

edit: See there is an entire Turtles arcade collection coming out this year too. TMNT Cowabunga collection.

#5149 Kubla Kahn, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  10. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can tell you the Turtles in Time remake is a lazy effort, not worth your time. The Cowabunga Collection is nice, but not $40 nice when I literally have every one of those games emulated for free. This new one, it's very nice. Sweet retro graphics, but the gameplay is modern with a deep menu of attack options. Plus it goes online with up to five other people, it's chaotic but fun as hell.

11. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

It took many restarts and/or getting deposed (once as a failed cult leader, oops!), but I finally beat the initial scenario for Frost Punk. It seems simple on the surface, but y'all, this game is kinda hard. There are also cornerstone buildings that they don't explain well that you have to use almost from the get-go or you're behind and reacting rather than preparing. once I googled the buildings I was unsure about, I was able to change my approach and do much better. I'd give this game a 4.5/5.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Portal with RTX looks and feels amazing. Makes my 3080 cry hard.

13. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Like a necromancer, I bring this back.

Tax refund season, which means I had a few extra bucks to kick around. I treated myself to the whole VR suite:

One PSVR2 with assorted games, $800+.
    One Logitech racing wheel with pedals and shifter, $300.
    One metal frame on which to install the Logitech, a coffee table just wouldn't do. But at least I kept it simple and didn't spring for the full, recumbent kit with racing seat. I only got the frame, and use a recliner. It's plenty comfortable, $90.

All this to tell you fine people that Gran Turismo 7 with full VR and a wheel to steer is an experience unlike nothing you've ever had. If you don't have it, find a friend that does.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You'll be racing in the big leagues in no time:

15. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The guy who did this in real life didn't have the benefit of a VR setup, so imagine what I could do!

Also this really is based on a true story although I wonder how much of a "champion" the guy actually ended up becoming.

16. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I looked him up when I first saw the trailer. I think he won a race and had some solid performances. He is still an active racing driver, according to wikipedia, so it really was life changing for him

17. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know this is a really old post; however, if anybody is still interested in this game, it's currently only $10 on steam through 6/19.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Anyone else playing Diablo 4?

19. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm trying to, when I get a chance here and there. I'm enjoying it, slow and steady progress. I've always been a sucker for that "numbers go up" gameplay, Diablo 3 has been on my console since the day it released.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I rushed through the campaign. It’s just very boring. I’m glad progress applies to each difficulty their so I don’t have to do it again.