Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

the be all end all video game thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by hawt, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Not sure if y'all saw this or not, but Steam opened up pre-orders for this bad boy: The Steam Deck

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

I pre-ordered one of the big memory ones.

I can't wait... a Nintendo Switch like device that I can play my entire Steam library on.

Oh HELL yeah.

[​IMG]

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Saw this yesterday. It looks really cool. I don’t even care if it can handle AAA games, looks fun as hell.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I also think I'll get this thing before I can get my hands on a new graphics card. So win win?

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Probably. Though, the stock of the current gen of NVidia cards is slowly getting better. I paid 400 over retail for my 3080 so there's always that option...

5. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's what all the Switch fans were hoping Nintendo would announce. Instead they got a slightly bigger screen and a much bigger kickstand. Oh, and a ethernet port in the new dock. So basically a pointless upgrade unless you really need the fastest connection to Nintendo Online.

6. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I reserved the 64gb model, I have enough SD cards floating around to make it work, and anyway they say you can add a bigger SSD later.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Valve's hardware support has been notoriously poor, so I'm wary of where this thing will be in a year or two.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Truth. Valve’s anything out of the gate except for their games has been poor. Steam took a couple years before it wasn’t a janky mess. Then again, people I played with back then swore their allegiance to GameSpy Arcade, and now they’re all on Steam.

Newell is one of the few game execs I have faith in.

9. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

See... The steamlink. Great concept but it went from noticable latency to basically unusable.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Newell has stated that the SSD is a standard M2 drive that will be user update able.

11. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup, if it is anything like there other hardware it will be trash, and dead within a short period of time

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

"Let's rip some tar, Cuno!"

Anyone else playing Disco Elysium?

13. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

I use one right now, and it's great for certain classes of games, but definitely nothing that is really latency sensitive.

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

We could never get it setup to our liking. Even stardew valley with an ethernet cable connection had noticeable issues. I tried using it on the wifi here to stream hulu and it was totally unwatchable.

15. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I always start, get really far along, and then start a new game because

1) "What if I put a point in this skill instead of this one at the beginning"
    2) "What if I resolve this series of quests this way instead of this way"
    3) "I accidentally give myself a heart attack while trying to skip out on the hotel bill"

And so on and so on. It's a terrific game, but I have the same problem with a lot of similar games.

I think I have a game saved that's pretty far along and that I'm pretty happy with so I may finally see one playthrough til the end.

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

That's interesting, I've never thought about restarting. We've only got the 1 game going, haven't gotten super deep into it but like it so far. Hubs controls the game and I tell him choices to make. I guess I'll make sure we don't try to skip out on that tab. We tried paying some of it with the 40 cents in our pocket and the bartender refused to take it.

The main amnesiac character is just fucking bizarre and hilarious. Sometimes the bad/destructive responses are hard to not pick because they are too funny and tempting. The way the different spheres to his brain contribute different influences is an interesting and innovative RPG concept. It almost feels like he has a split personality or something. Goddamn, the electro-chemistry voice makes me want to smoke a cigarette. The music is really cool, too. It really makes it feel like you are playing in a dream.

17. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Restarting is a more an issue I have, especially with pre-generating characters at the beginning. I always try to min max and wind up restarting a lot.

I love the skill mechanics in this game. Making your skills sentient entities who are always speaking with you is just genius. And I love putting on the wildest get up imaginable to boost just the right set of skills. I also like how certain decisions/actions/dialogue choices wind up affecting certain die rolls later on.

"Oh you said this one thing to this one particular character? Now it's that much easier or harder to do this other thing."

It can be annoying, but it's so well done that I really can't complain.

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yes, some of the clothing items are just radical. From the get go, your inner dialogue's commentary on your purple tie kind of put me in the weird Disco Elysium headspace. Right now we have some kind of orange knit cap in the inventory that makes us look homeless. Your co-detective is like the mother hen mixed with disdainful narrator and sometimes he does not approve of your choices, comments, or look.

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I'm just now getting into Skyrim. I don't like the game as much as the Witcher III but I'm pretty much hooked at this point. I love exploring the open world and discovering random things, gathering random shit. Talking to a passing NPC to get some small quest, and not being forced along the main storyline trajectory. I can run around hunting bears before heading to the next spot in the main storyline. The voice acting is pretty sub par. Am I talking to the jarl, a solider, a passing thief? All the same voice with minimal energy put into it.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Anyone else looking forward to New World in a month? I’ve never really been into MMOs, but this looks fun.