Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

the be all end all video game thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by hawt, Oct 19, 2009.

1. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seen some streams for Alyx looks good. Only have PS VR cause it is cheap but i like it. I want a PC VR eventually.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, I loved the last one... like this one even more, so far.

3. wilder111

wilder111
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

OK, you guys would know... who's got the BEST FPS for PS4 right now?

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The term FPS has can be narrowed into a bunch of different categories. What kind of games are you into? Battle Royale? Then get Warzone or PUBG. Straight shooter? Probably Doom Eternal. Stealth game? Alien: Isolation or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

5. wilder111

wilder111
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

basically; if/once i get sent home from working, I want something to occupy (some) of my time. Not sure I'm a fan of Battle Royale games, mostly because I suck and the learning curve is pretty sharp. for Ref. I played the destiny 1 "almost" all the way through, and I like the idea of PvE more than PVP, if that helps....

6. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any Path of Exile players about? Or Sniper Elite 4, some Co-op would be fun.

7. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rimworld

Never has a game checked so many of my boxes. Three colonists crash land on a patch of dirt, or swamp, or desert, or ice, with a few supplies and you try to survive. Build things, hunt and farm, feed and clothe your people, trade and fight other colonies, etc etc.

I’m not sure I can do this masterpiece justice in a few paragraphs. Suffice to say I’ve never played a game where you could build a walk in cooler, and I sure as shit didn’t think I’d enjoy it so much.

Best $30 I ever spent.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I would jump into the Deus Ex games, those are really fun to get lost in.

9. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Destiny 2 is decent if you liked D1. It's worth it if you can get it for cheap.

The Borderlands series is good for a shooter/looter. I'd say play Borderlands 2 and the expansions before BL3 if you haven't played any of it. I say this as a couple of the expansions are some of the best story telling in a video game, at least in my opinion. That said, there is no need to play any of them or in any order as the story isn't dependant on that.

I'd second Deus Ex. I've had a lot of fun with that series.

The new Doom is supposed to be pretty good as well, but it's still downloading.

10. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll second that, I've been on the game since Beta and was actually thinking about getting back into it today as there have been a heap of new updates. The Crusdaer Kings and Europa Universalis series are great as well.

11. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

If you guys are looking for a fun game for fun families, get Overcooked 2 on the switch. My wife and I have been working our way through the base game's story, and it's been fun to strategize with her.

Also, I'm back in to elite dangerous after a long time, and man, the game is way different.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So yeah, I'm loving Halo Reach right now on the PC.... spent too many hours last night having some fun.

13. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've gotten back into Rimworld again for the last week, for those that don't know it's a survival/story builder set in the distant space. Pretty cool.

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In case anyone doesn't know, Stadia is offering a free 2 months.

I've been diddling around with Destiny 2. Pretty enjoyable game but I found it pretty frustrating in terms of new user discoverability. At times I wasn't sure if I was on a mission, or the objective, or if it was side-quest or main story... One inaugural quest has an unbeatable boss; it's an anger-inducing game of "what else can I try?" and it turns out you just have to futilely struggle for long enough until the story kicks back in. Character power is super arbitrary and hard to gauge - a new user is a 750. There's no scale. If something says "recommended 790" - what does that mean? It's going to be a challenge or it's completely impossible?

Anyway. Can't complain for free, I was just startled by the fact that I've played a fair number of computer games and still felt so lost. I'm guessing a newcomer to gaming would just give up in frustration.

15. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

I play a lot of destiny 2. You can get pumped up to 960 light really quickly. The old progression was Earth -> Mars -> Titan -> Io -> Nessus. They added Mercury, then the Tangled Shore, the Dreaming City, then the Moon.

PvP/Gambit is always dropped down to base level stats, so light level isn't a massive problem there. Vanguard strikes are a great way to get geared up because the strike playlist is always 750 light.

I'm mal isbad on steam, hmu any time for some Destiny 2 action when I'm online.

16. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anybody else still playing Apex?

I love this game, but I don't know if I can anymore. These are the most rage inducing glitches I've ever experienced.

You're grinding your way up through ranked and then it hits you like a tornado of ass rape. The main four I'm experiencing:

1. You're booted from the game as you load in and then receive the following message.

2. You can't hear any footsteps, and someone walks up behind so close they can put a fist up your ass and blows you away. Of course then they teabag you because they don't realize the glitches let them do that and think they're such a badass ninja warrior.

3. Dying in cover. I've been in cover a FULL SECOND, which is an eternity in a shooter, and still repeatedly took hits because the net code is such fucking garbage my character animation is still displaying on their end, and they're just standing there unloading while I'm completely in cover on my screen. So fucking infuriating.

4. This is the worst. The last second healing cancel. It has a countdown and everything and literally waits until you have 0.1 seconds left to finish healing and then cancels the whole thing. It's like this was intentionally made to make you blow your top. We were just at the last two teams, knocked one of them and about to finish a phoenix kit, cancels at last moment, and guy pops around a corner to blow me away with a shotgun. I don't even get to fire back because it's showing my character cancel the heals. MOTHERFUCKING SON OF A HORSE COCK WHORE FUCKING CUNT.

My teammate just destroyed his controller and sent us all the photo. I know what you're thinking. How childish. Yeah, you think that, but you don't know.

[​IMG]

I have never been this mad at a video game.

17. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

I had to stop playing Apex because it was a rage generator in line with League of Legends. Oh, I also hated the battlepass, and the absolutely anemic progression system.

A friend described it "Apex, and other battle royale games, are like setting up a fine dinner. Except, at any time, someone might bust in to your dining room and sweep it all on to the floor."

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I forgot Apex even existed. I played it for two weeks then went back to PUBG and now I’m playing Warzone.

19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Never, ever go back.

20. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is Destiny2 cross platform? I'm playing on Stadia, didn't know if all of the servers are the same or if they're segmented by platform.

I'm poking my way through the Red War campaign right now. The visuals in places are stunning and I like the weapon variety. Occasionally the game actually seems a little easy, but I haven't done any PvP or team stuff yet outside of a couple public events that went on in an area I was already in. My job is hectic enough that I'm generally only playing for 30 minutes and then getting off the computer since I stare at it all day.

I just noticed this morning that I had a sword in my inventory, I'll have to give that a run and see if it adds a challenge.