Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

the be all end all video game thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by hawt, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would say realism. Increased immersion into the game... not necessarily the full VR effect, but with increased hardware capabilities and improved game physics and graphics, games are becoming more and more realistic.

The latest Resident Evil 2 teaser is a good example.

If you look at the realism around rain, puddles, heat radiating, wind in grass effects, etc, things are getting closer and closer to real world.... which sucks you into the game more.

The CyberPunk2077 game looks incredible... it's easy to look all "Blade Runner" like when it's dark and shadowy, but they seem to be pulling off that effect during daytime.

From a purely technical perspective, it's the almost subliminal improvements that you don't really notice that will have the biggest impact.

Failing that, game AI and story will be the biggest drivers, in my opinion. If you have a great story, and strong gameplay, then the tech doesn't matter. Case in point, the N64 GoldenEye is still one of my all-time favourite games. From 1997. It just fucking rocks. Shit hardware, old-school game engine, etc, but a fucking blast to play.

2. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone get the new Spiderman game yet?

3. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What, is everyone playing Red Dead Redemption 2?

4. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes. And while I have to say it’s a nice looking game, it’s not really grabbing me. Also, I’m only a few hours into it and have already had a couple of weird kind of glitchy things occur.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I tried RDR2 and I just couldn’t get into it, same problem I had with RDR1. GTA gets boring after a while, so I figured this would too. Maybe I’m just over doing the hunt-and-fetch mission games these days, I don’t know. Just not my cup of tea anymore.

Hitman 2 on the other hand is a ton of fun. Really enjoying it.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ive wondered about RDR2 and the SpiderMan game. Ill end up getting one of them plus Black ops 4 this Friday. I downloaded God of War 4 6 months ago and still havent played 5 minutes of it.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I got a whole list of games. Red Dead 2, Spider Man, Black Ops 4, Fifa19.

The only one Ive personally put my hands on is Spider Man. Very Very fun game so far though Im just starting into it. The biggest thing is how huge the city is. It encompasses the entire borough of Manhattan. The shear scope is breathtaking and Im wondering if what any NYCers think of the depiction. Really amazing is the web swinging/traveling set up. It takes some getting used to but you can eventually make it effortlessly across the city swinging, running along buildings, hing swinging, and so on. Very acrobatic and it's a system that really makes you feel like Spider Man. There are also a huge dearth of fighting maneuvers, gadgets, and suits, to upgrade.

A few downsides. The fighting system is supposed to be deep with the moves and attacks for different types of enemies and racking up combo points for health and focus energy bars. It gets unwieldy in the chaotic fights. The focus mode Im not sure what it's really used for yet. Like the original God of Wars for me it just breaks down into button mashing the basic attacks which still comes off as acrobatic and cool but don't feel deep. Maybe it's just me but I think some more fighting tutorial modes might actually help in this game. The main story battles, which Ive completed one so far, are so chaotic they are on the verge of motion sickness nauseating. I had to switch to side missions which does balance it out a bit. Which brings me to the biggest issue I have with the game, more modern game issue than anything. Instead of just advancing through upgrades during the course of the story you got to grind out mini games and side missions to rack up 15 different types of tokens that are eventually combined and used on various upgrades. So far the upgrades have been pretty useful but I just don't see going for 100% game completion to earn random skins.

So far I'd still give it a SOLID 8.5/10.

#4907 Kubla Kahn, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  8. jason1214

jason1214
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

9. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Okay I’m going to rant on this now. The big game developers have completely fucked up the current generation of big name releases.

I’ve been playing for decades and have played almost all the well known franchises, but I’ve never seen it this bad.

Let’s look at 3 of the popular games from the last few months, each worse than the last.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - I own and have played this. Beautiful looking game and decent story, but you have to wade through a bunch of mind numbing tasks that make this game more like work than play. Brush the horse, kill the deer, skin the deer, contribute to the camp, get more money - fuck, I spend all day running from project to project to task to deadline in real life, why the fuck do I want to do this in my spare time?

Fallout 76 - don’t have it and won’t buy it. I’ve followed the near disastrous launch of this game, but even so I was going to wade in until talking to my nephew (22) who brought me up to date on how the game platform is easily hacked, and folks are having personal info stolen and accounts hijacked.

Black Ops 4 - currently trying to play it and it’s a fucking joke. Blackout is simply a full on rip-off of Fortnite. I don’t even get how Epic isn’t suing the fuck out of Activision. Are they related somehow? And the zombies mode - Jesus this has been done to death. But I haven’t actually played it or multiplayer because IT WONT FULLY DOWNLOAD. It shows up in my account as fully downloaded but when I try to play it it is locked and reads 54% downloaded. A quick google search informs me that A) this is common and B) this is difficult to fix.

What the fuck is going on out there? Why do all of these games suck so bad. I’m easily irritated on a good day- shit like this that screws up time when I should be having fun or relaxing makes me want to put my fist through the fucking wall.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It’s been happening for a while now. Non-gamers are running game companies and game teams. Microtransactions and “they made millions doing it so we should too” has permeated the industry.

They are getting more and more out of touch with their customers.

Just look at the recent fuckup with Diablo for a prime example.

11. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't you all have phones? No fucking clue it was just so bad then they tried to get all the videos of that deleted.

12. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m more than happy to blame the MMO crowd. Years ago they signaled a willingness to not only pay for the game, but then pay extra for upgrading weapons and armor, etc. (facepaint for fucks sake - what kind of loser shells out extra money for avatar face paint?!), and ultimately subscriptions for on line acccess in an annual basis to allow you to play the game you already purchased. It’s the gamer equivalent of the NFL trend of seat licensing- give us 10, 20, 30,000 a seat and we’ll allow you to buy tickets for those seat.

Jesus Christ people are fucking stupid.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

And yet some hardcore zealots will still defend D3 to death. I don’t get it. Shutting down Blizzard North should have put the Diablo franchise in the ground too. But hey, we’re getting a fancy schmancy mobile game.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ha. Looks like Fox is on the same "don't you have phones?" kick as well with their latest Alien game:

First comment says it all:

Gearbox Software: "I made Alien Colonial Marines, the worst Alien Game in the franchise"
    D3 Go!: " Hold my beer"

15. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    I'm surprised none of you put this up but here's Obsidian taking a giant swipe at Bethesda (and potentially scoring a home run, as this game looks brilliant, albeit judging on the trailer):

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

17. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is anyone playing the co-op version of Stardew valley? Might be fun.