Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

the be all end all video game thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by hawt, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, pretty much that is the system to go with if that is what you are looking for. There is no shortage of multiplayer on other systems, but if you have something like a PS4 you aren't going to find the games you want because that's just not what the system is designed for. Everything is completely built around playing with other people who also have a PS4, or Xbox, or what have you.

And what Bebop said, super smash brothers is like, the best game ever for what you're talking about wanting.

2. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have PS3 and PS4.

3. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Get a Nintendo Switch. It's the only console that ships with two controllers, if that tells you anything. And a lot of those WiiU bestsellers have been ported over with more on the way. Mario Kart 8 is outstanding, you can even toggle auto-drive for the youngest ones. Can't go wrong.

EDIT: And before you think Nintendo = kids stuff, it's already got *legit* ports of Doom 2016, Skyrim, and even Dark Souls is coming later this year. I absolutely do not regret my purchase.

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah dude, you need to switch systems. There is some PS4 stuff you can do with 3 or 4 players on one system, but it's just not really made with that aspect of gaming in mind.

5. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I come home with another game system, my wife will beat me to death with it. We like all the stuff we already have for the PS4, just looking for another game kinda like Diablo III.

6. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Picked up the new God of War. It’s extremely well done, a cinematic masterpiece.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So, if you're at all into video games, odds are you've heard of TotalBiscuit... an amazingly articulate video game reviewer who didn't pull any punches and had quite a few really interesting things to say about the industry.

He's unfortunately just passed away from cancer...

That really sucks.

https://twitter.com/GennaBain/status/999785407087808512

8. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Picked up the new Far Cry, beautiful game. Gameplay? Meh, more of the same. Pretty much a mod of old Far Cry releases.

It seems the more tech going into games, the more they’re similar.

I don’t know a thing about video game development but is it more of a “there’s only so much you can do with video games” or “giving the public what sells”?

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

When I was working in video games, the thing that came first was the release date. After that, you got features and scope of the game. "What can you do to the game by the time it launches in Q3 next year?"

Most games that meant take what was pushed out last year, and tweak it; same engine, same assets (majority), maybe some new story and a slight twist on the original. That was, for lack of a better term, "easy".

If there was anything major that needed changing... like a new game engine, totally new digital assets, new gameplay (as in "now with WW2 aerial dogfights!"), etc, that was started a couple of years before launch, and it doesn't happen all that often because you're putting a shit-ton of resources into something that won't pay off for quite a while, where as just tweaking the same shit you had last year is almost a sure payday.

The key is that most studios want something to produce revenue each year. Some big independents that have crazy success can maybe set their own schedules and go a couple years before the next version, but most public/big game studios need to throw fresh money at their investors each year. It's kind of like putting out a "best of" album between originals... it's pretty well the same old shit but at least it helps pay the bills.

On top of that, most games use a 3rd party game engine. Those engines pretty well define the limits of what the game can do, unless you pull out some crazy design aspect that really sets the game apart. Or you have some crazy story that is off the charts (like the recent release of God Of War).

If you want to do something technically that stands you above your competition, then you either build your own, or you wait for the game engine (and consumer hardware) to catch up with your ideas.

10. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Net- what game or series has revolutionized gameplay the most in recent memory?

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

sla
    I have no idea. I'm so not the right guy to talk to about that... I pretty well hate video games (for the most part) because it was work. I was hired to do some shit, so I did it, and then got out of it. My role was to bring big online "enterpise-like" development and systems to video games... like I architected the EA Sports online system... and the in-game, microtransaction/micropayment infrastructure for FIFA/Need for Speed. I also helped design and implement anti-fraud systems for multi-player games... again, very much big infrastructure and performance stuff, not the actual game play itself.

While I enjoy some alone-time video game play, it's single-player stuff like Doom, Halo, Skyrim, etc.

I could give you a list of games I enjoy, but it's nowhere near the "revolutionary" list you're asking about.

12. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks anyways.

I guess “revolutionary” is a bit grandiose. I’m just trying to picture where video game tech is trending.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I would say realism. Increased immersion into the game... not necessarily the full VR effect, but with increased hardware capabilities and improved game physics and graphics, games are becoming more and more realistic.

The latest Resident Evil 2 teaser is a good example.

If you look at the realism around rain, puddles, heat radiating, wind in grass effects, etc, things are getting closer and closer to real world.... which sucks you into the game more.

The CyberPunk2077 game looks incredible... it's easy to look all "Blade Runner" like when it's dark and shadowy, but they seem to be pulling off that effect during daytime.

From a purely technical perspective, it's the almost subliminal improvements that you don't really notice that will have the biggest impact.

Failing that, game AI and story will be the biggest drivers, in my opinion. If you have a great story, and strong gameplay, then the tech doesn't matter. Case in point, the N64 GoldenEye is still one of my all-time favourite games. From 1997. It just fucking rocks. Shit hardware, old-school game engine, etc, but a fucking blast to play.

14. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone get the new Spiderman game yet?

15. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What, is everyone playing Red Dead Redemption 2?

16. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes. And while I have to say it’s a nice looking game, it’s not really grabbing me. Also, I’m only a few hours into it and have already had a couple of weird kind of glitchy things occur.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I tried RDR2 and I just couldn’t get into it, same problem I had with RDR1. GTA gets boring after a while, so I figured this would too. Maybe I’m just over doing the hunt-and-fetch mission games these days, I don’t know. Just not my cup of tea anymore.

Hitman 2 on the other hand is a ton of fun. Really enjoying it.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ive wondered about RDR2 and the SpiderMan game. Ill end up getting one of them plus Black ops 4 this Friday. I downloaded God of War 4 6 months ago and still havent played 5 minutes of it.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I got a whole list of games. Red Dead 2, Spider Man, Black Ops 4, Fifa19.

The only one Ive personally put my hands on is Spider Man. Very Very fun game so far though Im just starting into it. The biggest thing is how huge the city is. It encompasses the entire borough of Manhattan. The shear scope is breathtaking and Im wondering if what any NYCers think of the depiction. Really amazing is the web swinging/traveling set up. It takes some getting used to but you can eventually make it effortlessly across the city swinging, running along buildings, hing swinging, and so on. Very acrobatic and it's a system that really makes you feel like Spider Man. There are also a huge dearth of fighting maneuvers, gadgets, and suits, to upgrade.

A few downsides. The fighting system is supposed to be deep with the moves and attacks for different types of enemies and racking up combo points for health and focus energy bars. It gets unwieldy in the chaotic fights. The focus mode Im not sure what it's really used for yet. Like the original God of Wars for me it just breaks down into button mashing the basic attacks which still comes off as acrobatic and cool but don't feel deep. Maybe it's just me but I think some more fighting tutorial modes might actually help in this game. The main story battles, which Ive completed one so far, are so chaotic they are on the verge of motion sickness nauseating. I had to switch to side missions which does balance it out a bit. Which brings me to the biggest issue I have with the game, more modern game issue than anything. Instead of just advancing through upgrades during the course of the story you got to grind out mini games and side missions to rack up 15 different types of tokens that are eventually combined and used on various upgrades. So far the upgrades have been pretty useful but I just don't see going for 100% game completion to earn random skins.

So far I'd still give it a SOLID 8.5/10.

#4899 Kubla Kahn, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  20. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded