Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

the be all end all video game thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by hawt, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The new map took some getting used to, but I dont hate it as much I initially did. I know the devs made some adjustments and made the landscape/loot drops more dense so you're not caught out in the open as much. I do like that every match ends differently than just crawling around in the grass like it does on Erangel.

They released the third map on the test servers. Its a much smaller map, probably to compete better with Fortnite. I tried Fortnite, and while its fun, a free game has zero barrier to entry and you are stuck playing with a ton of idiots. I would much rather pay the $30 to filter all that crap out.

2. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah the "official" stand is $160. Fuck that.

3. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea I don't hate it as much as I used to, but I still like the original map better. They definitely changed the loot drops on the new map, I almost always have a 4x scope which is the bare minimum I think because the land scape is so wide open you can see far. Still no mid game. Either I die right away or make top 20.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah mid-game sucks. I dont think I've had more than a few rounds on either map with a mid-game. Then again I always parachute far from the flight path of the plane or into some random shack in the middle of nowhere. I think I've landed in the military base maybe five times and made it out alive one of those times.

I just don't see how 40% of the players get killed within the first 5 minutes.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Anyone picking up Far Cry 5?

6. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going to ask the same thing. Graphics look amazing but I remember the gameplay getting repetitive in previous sequels.

I think the GTA series is the most fun I’ve had ever playing video games. Picked up the PS4 version of GTA5 and it has a number of improvements on its PS3 version- namely when people call you or cops are chasing you, their audio plays thru your PlayStation controller now. Pretty neat feature I’ve never seen before.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't played through a single player game in quite a while but I am pumped about the new God Of War coming out in a few weeks.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I love GTA 5 on PS4. The online play never gets boring, there’s just so much stuff going on. The server matching is still garbage, especially when u get dumped into an empty map. But when it’s full, it’s a ton of fun.

As for Far Cry, I thought FC4 was too much like FC3, but added the annoying of having to scale the landscape. I didn’t even play the prehistoric one. I read this one has a super fun arcade online mode, and players have already recreated maps from Counter-Strike and PUBG. I may get it for PC today.

9. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Same here. I never played the first three, that genre didn't really keep my attention but this new over the shoulder view looks much better.

10. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

http://battletechgame.com/ was just release. I never played the table top version of the game, but it everyone I talk to says it stays very true to the table top version. It is a lot of fun, very tactical, and a steep learning curve if you never have played the table top game which I haven't, but I have friends that have played so it really helps. I would check it out of you like turn based strategy games and or mechs.

11. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll be picking this up for sure in the near future. The studio that made this also made a few PC adaptations of the Shadowrun universe that are all top notch (Dragonfall and Hong Kong are particularly great). I've heard a lot of favorable comparisons to X Com as well, which is one of my favorite games.

Between this and Pillars of Eternity 2, I suspect my free time will be evaporating. Plus, I still need to wrap up Witcher 3..........

12. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It is very xcom-y.

The only really thing that annoys me is the number of injuries you get. People say the tt version calculates injuries per volley, in the vg they calculate it per ammo in the volley.

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been gaming a fair bit recently since I finally got a PS4. A few games I've played recently -

Battlefield 1: The campaign was ok, but for the most part I thought this game kind of sucked. As a shooter it really isn't impressive. Moreover, the whole game is mainly built around the multiplayer and because of the limited mobility and all the stupid vehicles/special classes it just isn't very fun. I know people that love it, but it wasn't for me. Also, I don't like playing multiplayer where the number of team mates you have in a match are so many you can't really individually affect the outcome. Overall, just not really worth it.

4/10

Horizon zero dawn: Amazing graphics and great story. Very well thought out and genuinely interesting to follow. The combat is very innovative and I give it points for that, but ultimately the combat starts to get really old and not be very much fun anymore. This would have been a great game if they had refined the fighting a little better. Still well worth buying.

8/10

Witcher 3: I think most people have played this by now, but this was legitimately one of the best 5 games I've ever played. Everything about this game is amazing. If you at all like fantasy setting RPGs get this shit immediately. My only minor gripe is that a lot of the levels/quests were a bit too short and sometimes there is so much story and dialogue that you want to just go around killing/doing stuff and feel like skipping over it. Very minor gripe though. This is one of the best games ever made.

10/10

Destiny 2: Awesome graphics, and as a shooter it is insanely well made. There are so many different guns and you can feel how each and every slight adjustment changes how you use them. In terms of weapons it might be the best shooter ever. That said there are two things holding it back. First, there is little to no variation in the missions. You run in, shoot everything, rinse and repeat. That's pretty much the whole game. It gets away with it for the most part because it is such a well made shooter. The second part is the story is absurdly vague and silly. It's not essential to a game to have a great story, but it's always nice, and given that the company apparently tried to add an in depth story to this --- I don't really know what they were thinking. I mean, you have to delve into stuff to truly have a story people give a shit about. Whatever though, overall a very solid game.

8.5/10

Far Cry 5: I'm playing this now and I'm still not totally sure what to think about it. Parts of it are really fun. Lighting cultists on fire while "burn baby burn" is playing is awesome. However, some parts of it are just unbelievably bad. The plane flying/shooting mechanics for example are the worst control design I think I've seen in a game ever. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

Then there's the ridiculous story. I'm about halfway through and the cult has captured me half a dozen times. They never just, you know, kill me. It's fucking idiotic. Once or twice is one thing, but it happens every couple of hours and it's getting really stupid.

That said, the mission variation is great, and while the main story is total garbage the side mission characters you meet are kind of fun. I don't know if I would recommend buying it or not. I don't think I like it as much as Far Cry 3 and 4, but I'm not really regretting getting it either.

8/10 but I could easily justify ranking it lower. There are a lot of glitches as well that really, really should have been cleaned up before release. They're quite prevalent and at times are major glitches that fuck up missions and whatnot --- not just minor things like a dead body floating.

14. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, apparently, near future for me means "buy it that day and binge it non stop". So far, I'm having a blast playing it. Tinkering endlessly with my mech builds appeals to my Andy Dufresne meticulous nature as well as my love of minmaxing in general. I know I goofed with my character skill builds. Not enough to cause me to restart several dozens time (*cough*Wasteland 2*cough*), but I'll definitely know how I'll want to build and develop mechwarriors through the inevitable second playthrough.

Totally agree on injuries. Especially when an enemy mech launches a volley of missiles from the other side of the map and gives one of my best pilots a head injury.

Good times.

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I started over because I wanted to retrain my guys. Sucks you don't have a one time retrain option.

16. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A retrain option would be great. Or the ability to retrain at a cost that keeps increasing every time you do it.

It'd be great if they let you know what each smaller rank in an attribute grants you - "That rank reduces overheat?! Fuck, now I need this other pilot to get a few ranks in that!"

17. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been playing Diablo III with my kids. Finally a multi-player game that isn't a LEGO game.

Either I'm crazy or the game maps change when you go from single player to multi-player, but whatever. It's a bit of a button smasher, but fun to play with my kids.

In that regard: Are there any other multi-player games you all can recommend other than the obvious sports or LEGO games? LEGO is only 1-2 player anyway, I'd like more stuff for the three of us.

18. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Destiny 2 is (at least imo) a way better game than Diablo 3 and is built around multiplayer for 3 people. Most of the strikes are for 3 ppl and the pvp is teams of 4, so you just grab one random if you do that. You need 6 for the raids, but there are only 2 raids right now.

If you want something cheap there is always fortnite (free) but I think they completely ruined it with all the pointless shit they've put in the game. It used to be that every item and weapon had its place, but now there is so much useless garbage and since the game is all PVP it has become a bit of luck draw where you are dead if the random spawns that you land at are the stupid useless new weapons they've added. I haven't played it in a few months though so I don't know what it's like now.

19. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm looking for games we play together on one system, not online stuff.

20. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't remember if you previously mentioned having a Wii/Wiiu, but there are loads of games you can play together on those systems.

Smash Bros is a great game/series.