Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

the be all end all video game thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by hawt, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I have a decent gaming desktop and a PS4. There just isn't any comparison.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I find there to be a big difference, personally. It might not seem like that much when you do a side-by-side comparison in that video, but when playing, it's very noticeable.

I have a 4k main monitor that high-end graphics really, really come alive on. It's so much more immersive.

It's kind of like watching normal TV and then going to HD.

Personally, I do think it's a big deal... otherwise they wouldn't be hyping it this much. And this project is a next-gen GPU that is lowering the price point for everyone, not just consoles. It's not that hard to get into a good GPU for relatively cheap cash. $300 CDN will give you a solid, high-performing card that will kick the shit out of the current-gen consoles, and the high end ones are around $800 CDN, and when the new hardware comes out, it'll be even less than that.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have an XBox One (fucking Halo), and I find the same.

I play Doom on the XBone and it's all right, I play it on my PC and it fucking rocks.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The side-by-side comparisons are usually crap because they don't account for in game frame rate most of the time, which is where a decent video card stands out. 30 FPS looks good, until you start hitting 60 and then 30 looks mediocre. Plus there's all sorts of effects that stand out specially on high end cards like god rays, etc.

5. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Great campaign in T2. I've played Titanfall a ton, and held my own for a 50 year old gamer, but when I tried multiplayer in T2 I got my head handed to me. Not sure what the difference is, maybe a little more practice in campaign mode will help.

6. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone else getting hyped for Final Fantasy XV?

I was a little reluctant based on some early media/stories. But after watching some gameplay video and seeing more and more what they are planning, I'm super pumped for this to come out.

Fortunately, my g/f will be out of town the first few days this is out so I'll be able to enter hermit gaming mode for a little while. If it's as bad as DA: Inquisition (which it seems like it could be) in terms of open world sandbox and all that entails, I could be in trouble though.

7. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Okay, this is not a video game question, but I figured you guys would know better than just putting it out in the general board.

I have a PlayStation 3 which I use for video games and Netflix. When using video games, I have to turn the sound down on the TV because it's too loud and when I use Netflix I have to crank the volume because it's too quiet. For example, when using regular cable the volume needs to be around 15 to be comfortable. When using video games I have to drop it down to four or five and when using Netflix I have to crank it up to 30 to 35. I have already tried Google, and have not come up with a good answer. Does anyone know how to balance the volume across the games and Netflix?

Connection is HDMI.

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No way, it is just the volume that what ever source is sending out. I am the same with my tv, the cable box sound is around 15, Netflix is around 35.

9. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone playing Destiny 2? In my opinion, it's a huge improvement on D1.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Stardew Valley is one of my favorite games. It seems simple on the surface but it is immersive, charming, and has some fair depth to it. Plus my farm is worth over a mil now, so I'm kind of a big deal. It's a great relaxing, wind down at the end of the day kind of game.

The maker of Stardew Valley is creating another game that is going to be sort of a cute Harry Potter universe ripoff. I am so excited about this. Is anyone else playing Stardew Valley or looking forward to his next creation?

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Makes sense since Stardew Valley is essentially a ripoff of Harvest Moon. My wife has sunk 100 hours into Stardew and loves the shit out of it.

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

It definitely appeals to the fairer sex. I am afraid to share my hours sunk. I never played Harvest Moon so I have no reference point there. I will say that the playstation HP game I played sucked balls. It just was not fun. I am looking forward to this version of it.

What system does she play on? I play PC but wish I could have started on a handheld system, but there isn't a way to port my save over so I am sticking with PC.

Tell her to try out Don't Starve. That's another current favorite that she would probably enjoy as much as I do.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

She plays on PC via Steam. I played Harvest Moon on N64 and this game is essentially a carbon copy, just better. I won't get into it again, but then again I play City Skylines.

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I play Cities Skylines, too! For whatever reason it is really relaxing after work. It is organized and creative problem solving but free form.

Sometimes I wish my city planners would buy a copy....

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It really is, relaxing. I just zen out and keep working on my city "Buttfaceville" little bit at a time.

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Funny . I always name mine something like Yeast Infection or The Hep. Just keeping it classy.

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

18. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Over the last year I've hardly played video games at all.

Even so, when I get back into it I've got some catching up to do. One of those games I was going to buy was Mass Effect Andromeda. I mean, it's Mass Effect. You remember, right? Probably one of the top 5 video game trilogies ever.

Then I saw this shit.

It looks like the video game equivalent of The Room. What a fucking train wreck.

19. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just fyi - The Steam Autumn sale is ending on the 28th. Now would be a good time to go through their store to get some great games for dirt cheap.

20. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    The Christmas-New Year Sale is always better and starts in less than a month...