Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Saw an extremely clean 500hp version of one of my vehicles this weekend and was left drooling.

Mine is presently doing duty as a grocery getter and tuned up to a Stage II spec putting out 316hp.

Now I've got plans for making it mo-better. I need another performance car project like I need a hole in the head but alas I decided long ago to embrace my addiction.

Here's the car in question with better photos and all the specs of the build.

Saab Viggen

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

3. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reading that made my day.

I've been called in to salvage some pretty bad owner repair fuck ups but that takes the cake. Waste of a very nice wheel.

My personal favorite was when two friends installed an adjustable coil over suspension/air bag kit partially upside down on their Integra. Fucking car looked like it had a 6" lift kit installed when it was dropped.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I just want to be around when he breaks a plug off... I've never seen someone try and sawsall a head before

And hopefully he ups his game to include video... stills just don't do it justice.

5. Senna Vs. Prost

Senna Vs. Prost
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just want to take a second to pimp some automotive related sites.

http://www.bringatrailer.com is an awesome site for vintage cars for sale. It's formatted like a blog, but they always have the cream of the crop, and some really obscure shit in addition to the usual Porsches, Alfa's etc.

http://www.speedsportlife.com Is a great website, and the "Avoidable Contact" column is a must read. Jack Baruth might be the best car writer in America.

http://carchat.posterous.com Grew out of an online Twitter chat hosted every Wednesday by my friend and mentor Michael Banovsky, and it has now grown to include the Carchat blog, a collaborate tumblr type outlet where we posted funny/stupid stuff. We're trying to do some video content for next year in addition to...

http://www.banovsky.com/podcast Our podcast, which is hosted by myself, Michael and our friend Nauman. I hate the way my voice sounds, but board member Maxi tells me he gets a kick out of it, and I think a couple other board members do to.

Finally there's my own blog. I'm working with a former Rudius writer you all know and love on collaborating on some car-themed stuff, and I'm not sure where it will be hosted, but what the hell, stay tuned and read some stuff in the mean time. http://derekkreindler.blogspot.com

6. Muney

Muney
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I just got a 2000 Accord V6 and am having a problem with the tranny possible. If I floor the car and let off before it switches gears the car decelerates pretty hard. This only happens in the "D4" on the car and "D3" is fine. Any idea if this is the tranny, as i've heard the early 2000 V6's had some shitty trannies. Somebody also said it could be a clogged Cat. Converter. ?

7. Racer-X

Racer-X
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It doesn't sound like a clogged cat; a clogged cat will tend to give you problems when acceleerating, not decelerating. It sounds like the converter isn't unlocking when you let off the gas.

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I'm coming in a bit late with this, but it doesn't sound like a MAS to me. On my cars that had the MAS go bad they'd run normal until I tried to take them over 2000 RPM. Then they'd crap out.

They'd run at a smooth idle, but as soon as I gunned the engine they'd bog down at 2000 and want to die.

Have you checked the basics like the fuel filter not being plugged or the fuel pump operating correctly along with some of the other things folks have suggested?

9. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So if I get hired at the job thats doing a criminal record check on me right now, I'll need a vehicle. My dad's willing to go half and half with me as long as its under 20k before taxes and such. My first look as at 'practical' cars, such as the Subaru Impreza, but some part of me is really interested in the Dodge CHallenger, that the local dealership is selling in that price range [they're going broke, go figure] - New car, but base SE model (in Canada this actually includes ESP and ABS though, but it's still a 250hp v6)

Any fundamental flaws with getting a peniscar like the Challenger I should look out for other than stereotypes?

10. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I haven't heard of any big issues with them yet, but it's a first year car so things can pop up. I think the SE model is actually a great value, the Challengers are nice cars, and will be a fun car to have for a while. I would take it over the Subaru in a heartbeat.

11. RyanR

RyanR
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

If you're accelerating hard your shift points are at a higher RPM. Letting go of the gas while at a high RPM will feel like your car is decelerating hard until it shifts. Does it shift shortly after letting go of the gas or does it never shift? If you have ever driven a manual transmission, does it feel as though you were downshifting or forgot to shift?

12. Muney

Muney
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yes, it usually shifts soon after i let off the gay, after the initial "jolt" of deceleration goes away. And yes, it feels like if you shift into a gear or 2 lower in a manual car.

I guess the other option would be to not beat the piss out of the car. I'm just wondering if this is semi normal on this car, or if I have one of the shit transmissions they put in Accords.

13. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It's built on the same basic architecture as the 300, Charger, and now defunct Magnum with a shortened wheelbase. Any new problems that pop up would likely only be interior related as that is really the only thing first year about it, along with the body design.

14. Coquette

Coquette
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I have ADD and couldn't read all the posts. I want to offer my (and the hubby's) services. I used to work for an automotive diagnostic manufacturer (we branded Snap-On shit), and he has more knowledge than he should. CEL light on? PM me. ABS error? PM me. Want to buy a Dodge? We've got a gun for that...

15. Muney

Muney
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

HAR HAR HAR. I have finally realized why people kept putting messages with "gay" in my rep points. Y is nowhere near S, I'm just that retarded. Carry on.

16. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's a picture of the '88 Firebird I just bought. It needs some engine work (looks like the previous owner started a camshaft swap, then stopped. Nothing I can't handle.) , supposedly the transmission is good. I'm planning to fix or replace the engine, paint it, take care of the nickel and dime stuff around the body, then sell it for a profit. I guess this might be more appropriate for the Kodak thread, but I figured that you gearheads would appreciate it more.
    I'm going to keep the Power Bulge hood for my car, and a few interior items.
    It has the performance suspension package (the same stuff I swapped onto my car from my wrecked Camaro) and a worn out positrack differential that I can hopefully rebuild and put in my car. Time will tell.

Attached Files:

• car.jpg
      car.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
  17. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Someone I talked to said Dodge has had 'bad' V6s that gave 'tons of grief' lately but wouldn't expand. Any thoughts?

18. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I haven't heard anything about the Dodge V6s. I don't really actively look for info on them though. Your best bet would be to find one of the Dodge enthusiast forums. I won't bother to list any, as all I'd be doing is listing links that google found.

19. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Got a little package in the mail a couple days ago.

Attached Files:

20. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was a 'stage 3' short block from Z1 Motor Sports. Got over size pistons and all that jazz. Have my heads at a shop getting decked and port and polished. All the internals are good to four digit power levels. But I'm not crazy so I'm keeping it down around 5-600, just don't want to have another catastrophic failure again. I've got two new modified Garrett GT2560R that should be good for 600.

Going to do most of the work myself.