Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. WAdude

WAdude
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

If it's a 2003, then I would think someone is trying to bend you over a barrel. If it was a serious problem, you can do a google search for the make and model and see if they had any recalls. If not, I would drive it and not worry at all. I have driven many vehicles in my time, and never had one that didn't have cracks in the rubber on the brake lines, and I have never had one break either. Like some others around here, I do all my own mechanical work.

I am in the process of restoring a '69 SS chevelle. If anyone has questions about old muscle cars, feel free to ask.

2. Vyce77

Vyce77
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

You must be joking. Try a Miata instead if you want a cheap track car

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If you're looking at just fucking around on the track, buy whatever you like, and just make sure it's safe.

If you're looking at potentially racing, then work backwards... figure out what class/series you want to race in, then build/buy/steal a car that fits that series.

For instance, Miata's are a great car to learn how to momemtum drive with, but have no series up here in the PNWR.

Pro3 BMW's though, are everywhere.

In my local race club, there's a Honda Challenge series, and a bunch of old Civics that bleat around the track and drip oil.

Whatever floats your boat... just be sure that you're confident in what you want to do and think long-term.

Also, don't drop a mint on a high-end track car if you've never done a track day before. I've seen more guys buy a race car only to realize that they don't want to do it and lose $40k in the ensuing fire sale.

And lets not even talk about trailers and towing and shit like that.

4. Senna Vs. Prost

Senna Vs. Prost
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Dude Mustangs aren't terrible, people race them competitively and Civics have huge aftermarket support. I have a Miata myself and getting parts is a bitch theres no support for them around me. I was going to type up a detailed post, with more suggestions like a Civic, Miata, 944, RX7 blah blah blah. From there, do you just want a piece of shit you can take to the track (figuratively) or do you want to do some racing or driving events.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Would there be any interest in starting up a Grassroots Racing thread to talk about track/racing stuff?

6. Senna Vs. Prost

Senna Vs. Prost
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'd be interested but I have very little experience. I think it's just you, TPapp and maybe toytoy88 who actually hit the track.

What would be good is a "General Thread" for basic maintenance shit and car shopping, and an Enthusiast thread for masturbating about supercars and discussing performance upgrades.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Maybe we'll break out an "automotive" subforum... let me give it some thought, and if anyone has any thoughts, PM me.

8. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Would anyone be interested in purchasing a 350Z Nismo?
    I have two to sell, just PM/Email me for more info.

9. bean

bean
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

NA MR2's are also a pretty good idea. Get a 91-92 for about 3-5K in pretty good condition and a 93 for a bit more. 94-95 will cost you probably twice that if you can find them. 93's and up are easier for novice drivers to handle but experts usually prefer the 91-92's. They usually do really good in the stock classes, but if you start modding them you are usually SOL without big upgrades.

10. Gangston Cashwell

Gangston Cashwell
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Does anyone own a Kawasaki Versys? After sitting on one and reading about it, it really seems like it might be the bike for me. Any pointers or experiences would be very helpful.

11. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Snow Tires

The girlfriend has a Mazda3. Great little car, but the tires are total shit and she's going to need new rubber to be able to get around this winter. I've never bought snow tires because I've always had good all-season tires on my car that got me through just fine, so I really don't know what's good or bad.

- What's a decent snow tire? She'll be on a budget, so cost is a big factor.

- Or, should she just get rid of the shitty ones she has now and get decent all-season tires?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

12. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Got these pictures in a text last night. From a friend that is a total asshole and knows how to make me jealous.

His new delivery sitting next to his old.

Attached Files:

13. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm taking it that she lives in CT or in that area so you get the same wintry/ice/snow crap that the rest of New England gets.

If the car is newish and shes going to keep it for a few years I would invest in a set of winter wheels (even steelies) with legit snow tires (makes it very easy to swap them on and off).

The Mazda 3 isn't that different than the Ford Focus and I successfully drove a SVT version of that car with snow tires all over ski country for 3 years without any issue.

I know you said price is an issue but going with a set of wheels/good snows is cheaper in the long run. First it's safer and gives you better control in the snow, second if you use the snow tires appropriately (ie put them on in early November and take them off in March/April when the snow is gone) they'll last you 4-5+ seasons depending on her commute.

I highly highly highly recommend Blizzak snow tires. The WS60 is their least expensive tire for that type of car. For about 60% of the price you can buy Firestone Winterforce tires which are very highly rated especially for the $$.

Check craigslist and ebay for suitable used wheels to use as winter wheels for her car

14. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't own one, but it's one I would consider for my next bike. Everything I've ever read from owners has been positive. It has the Ninja 650 engine tuned for better torque, so it's probably perfect for what you've described. It has its own forum: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/ Have you also looked at the Suzuki V-Strom?

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've now opened up a motorcycle thread for those interested.

16. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As an owner of an RX7, and a pretty avid gearhead, I'd like to give a little tip to anyone looking at modifying cars (although I'm sure if nettdata or Senna Vs. Prost disagrees, they'll chime in):

When considering a car for the track or modification, price out your mods first. Are RX7s cool? Sure! But, figure that because of a lack of real aftermarket support, you're going to pay double the price of pretty much anything else. That's a rule that can be applied to any car: Compare the cars, but definitely compare the aftermarket support. Suppose you want a 500 h.p. car. You can do that to a Mustang pretty cheap, pretty reliably, and mix and match parts as you wish. Want a 500 h.p. RX-7? Yeah, it can be done. But, it won't be cheap, it probably won't be reliable, and it's going to be mostly custom work. You can do a full exhaust from headers to tailpipes on a Mustang for $500. That exhaust on an RX-7 will be $900 from racingbeat.com, and unless you feel like shipping stuff from Japan, that's about your only real choice here in the States. My RX-7 is getting a Mustang 5.0L swap. Why? 5.0L V-8s are everywhere, anyone can work on them, every auto parts store in America sells parts for them, and I would say there is forty to fifty times the amount of aftermarket parts. The V-8 swap is so common, it's a bolt in kit for $1k. I can do a 400 h.p. V-8 swap cheaper than taking out my 160 h.p. non-turbo rotary and swapping in a 200 h.p. stock turbo rotary.

The other thing when it comes to project cars that I learned the hard way is that sometimes you're better off paying a little extra for the right car than trying to turn the wrong car into the right car. I bought an '84 RX-7 GS (carb'ed, open rear-end, 4 x 110 bolt pattern that nobody makes any real aftermarket wheels for) and planned to convert it to a GSL-SE (fuel injected, LSD, 4 x 114.3 much more common). I could have bought a GSL-SE for about $600 more than I bought the GS for. Trying to convert it cost me close to $1500, a shitload of time and bloody knuckles, and aggravation. Try to hunt for a car with the basic options you can't live without rather than trying to piece it together.

Last, be realistic about what you want to have in your car. There was somebody on the old board who wanted to add 200 h.p. to his Scion. Number one, don't just arbitrarily pick a number for power gains. Number two, look at what you're starting with: A Scion will most likely grenade itself making that kind of power unless you have a pro build the engine, and it's still a Scion. If you want to go fast, start out with something that is already on it's way there.

17. jorey

jorey
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I disagree. The aftermarket market for Mustangs is ridiculous. For example, Motor Trend tested a modified Mustang by a suspension company called Maximum Motorsports in 1998 that had the fourth best slalom race times out of all the cars they ever tested. It’s been tested against quarter million dollar cars such as Porsches, Ferrari's, etc. Sure that's over ten years ago but it still demonstrates you can get a pretty awesome road racing car for less then $10,000.

For more info read: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/conte ... Slalom.pdf

18. Senna Vs. Prost

Senna Vs. Prost
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

[/quote][/quote]

So true. Buy the best car possible. And yes, V8 RX7s are better, but the LS1 is much better in terms of balance and power. Rotarys are great, and the turbo ones especially can make tons of power but they are a black art. The V8 just makes more sense.

One thing to add is that 99% of forum people are retards. Don't just buy shit because its cool and from Japan, buy what works.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Uhmmm... wow. I don't think I'd ever have the balls to try this.

#59 Nettdata, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  20. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I swear, everything I think of that might be cool or unique has been done, and usually done better than I thought of. I was thinking it would be cool to take a Chevy Avalanche and supercharge it or throw on a pair of turbos, and then a 2 second google search finds this monster:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2935352/t ... g_engines/

That's just too cool not to share with you guys. I would love to drive my kids to school in that.