Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Should last plenty behind a stock 5.3 and drives to Cars and Coffee

4. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When my stepfather passed away last fall, my brother and sister both decided they didn't want his old Nova and said I should take it since he and I worked on restoring it back when I still lived at home. Today I finally was able to get it from my brother's garage and bring it back home. I was honestly surprised how well it still ran since it had just been sitting in his garage for a couple of months. Now to get it cleaned up and start getting under the hood to see how it's really holding up.
    IMG-20240609-WA0001.jpeg

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Sorry for your loss, but congrats on the score... should be a fun memory as you drive it around!

6. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks. It was fun driving it the 2 1/2 hours back to my place; however, I did discover that the AC doesn't work very well, so we're keeping cool with the windows fully cranked down in the meantime. My 12 year old daughter has already asked if she can have it when she gets her license, so I apparently better get my usage out of it while I can.

7. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A ‘76 Nova was the first new car my parents ever bought. Back in the mid 80s I could hardly believe that people would put striping down the hood and jack up the rears of cars like my sister and I would sleep in the back of with no seatbelt while mom and dad smoked like chimneys with the windows closed. It was crazy how fast normal everyday family cars were. My parents had a’72 Chevelle that had a 307 engine in and was fast as balls. That thing would fly as soon as you hit the gas.

8. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's what year mine is. My great-aunt bought it brand new off the lot in '76, and hardly ever drove it other than to the grocery store and church.So when she gave it to my stepfather and I, it had very little mileage on it. Even now, it's still the original stock 305 engine in it and it only has just under 77k miles on it.

9. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We had a couple of guys with beautifully restored 1970ish Novas in high-school, the gen before the one you have there. Most of us thought they were the best two vehicles in the student parking lot. We had a couple more students with classic cars. I dated a girl with an old un-restored Dodge Dart that had been passed down from both her older siblings. One girl was given a gorgeous 65 mustang, but she hated it and made her family get her a Honda Accord. Cool, classic cars in the student lot are becoming super rare.

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm curious what y'all think about the current market for a used Tesla Model 3?

I'm seeing cars that are less than 5 years old in the $18k-25k range, with 300+ range and dual motors.

I'm currently on my motorcycle or in my truck, and around DC both suck for different reasons. I'd be replacing a Prius I had back in the day for DC driving and commuting, and most of the hybrids on the low end seem to start at $28k and up. I'm not seeing significant difference in late model used, either.

So, between a Prius or a Tesla (Or an Ioniq or some such shit), a Tesla under $20k seems to be the ticket, because no gas at all, no oil changes at all beats the requirements for a hybrid. Gf currently has a Hyundai that gets 45mpg+ so that's our road trip machine. I'd charge it at work, or at the house.

I'd be lying if the thought of a 0-60 in 3.1 wasn't appealing. That's stupid fast, and the idea that you can have that kind of speed, with a more reliable drivetrain for less than $30k is kind of unique.

11. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

my only problem with used electric vehicles is you don't know the condition of the batteries/life left.

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Surely there's some ways to test that? Even a test drive could show something?

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

14. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know why, but I like the IONIQ better, and it would be what I'd buy over a Tesla. I can't tell you why I trust Hyundai to do an EV better than Tesla, but here I am saying it. I talked to one IONIQ owner, he said he loved it, but charging away from home was harder to find than Tesla.

I could see myself buying the Ford Lightning for a daily around home. But keeping my Titan for long range towing, which I probably do more than most people.

That's still a decision that is years away, I hope, after we thoroughly wear out, or crash, the wife's Honda Element.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can tell you one thing for sure. The new Hyundai EV plant in Bryan County is MASSIVE. And, there is lots of supporting infrastructure and there are other plants coming up around it.

It's funny, the Daniel Defense (firearms) building was built on the north side of I-16 in Black Creek, Georgia about 15(?) years ago, and you can see it clearly from the interstate. They have a big sign and a flag, and there are some other manufacturers around, like a home furnishings company. There is a truck weigh station right there, too. Whenever I go to Savannah or Hilton Head or anywhere along that part of the coast, I'd pass it and think to myself, huh, I wonder what other industries will pop up around here. I never imagined a monster of a facility from a South Korean car maker, entering the EV market would be the answer. (They are on the South side of the interstate, though, lol)

16. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, looky there, made in America. While some Fords are assembled in Mexico.

17. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All three of my brother in laws have a Tesla. I guess they work well enough, but the range can vary quite a bit depending on temperature and such. I do not like them as I feel like I am driving a cell phone rather than an automobile. Then again I am old as fuck and prefer to drive a manual shift anything. That whole 90 minute to recharge thing kinda sucks also.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, and Kia has a big plant in Troup County, GA.

19. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seems like every time I drive through Georgia I'm seeing new plant or warehouse, creating jobs. And I did a ton of pick up and unloading in GA when I was driving a semi.

My brother and his family moved back to GA from Montana, mainly because they knew how to make a living there.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

This. Quite frankly I'm shocked that electric trucks haven't caught on with the hunting vehicle market given how quiet they are. Electric bikes already have.

I would LOVE to see a hybrid electric/combustion full size truck from one of the major manufacturers at some point.