Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I normally run Goodyear Duratrac's on my work trucks since they do see some mud and pull trailers. They seem to last well but they do have a good bit of road noise and probably don't handle as well as softer tires on the highway.

2. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's plenty of companies making good tires nowadays. I always go for a beefier load rating on both my trucks. You linked 114t load index tire, the tires on my Nissan are 124, my old chevy might even be higher than that. I think it's worth the extra few bucks to know that anytime over the next 50,000ish miles, if I want to load the bed with or pull something heavy, the tire will not be the weak link.

I used my chevy to get massive excavator buckets of fill dirt, I knew the tires wouldn't blow. Even though I was getting loaded only a couple miles from home, it was reassuring.

The last tires I ordered for my Nissan, NTB shipped standard load range tires instead of the more capable tires that I paid for. They just wanted to refund me the difference, but I was adamant that they weren't putting those tires on my truck. I had to go home and return the next day for what I ordered.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I need to start planning out my next car. I have had the need for a pickup or smaller SUV or conversion for a while. Something with space or towing capacity. If prices weren’t still so ridiculous I’d go with a Taco v6 and be done with it but I’d be open to say a hatch back Subaru or CRV sized car. Just want something reliable and on the better gas mileage end of the spectrum since it’ll be a daily that I’ll be towing or moving stuff intermittently. Open to any suggestions.

4. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What's your budget? I think the Nissan Frontier is the next best thing to a Taco, and certainly priced better. The towing capacity is pretty good. I towed about 3800 pounds of boat and trailer with mine 2015 Frontier crew cab.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Going used I think initial budget be 15k but if I’m sold on something maybe up to 25k. I don’t plan on hauling anything too massive but I need space for hunting equipment and maybe 2-3 dirtbikes.

#4165 Kubla Kahn, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  6. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are you willing to deal with the shorter bed of the crew cab, or longer bed extended cab and standard cab models? Which sacrifice will you make, passenger comfort or cubic area in the bed?

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don’t foresee much passenger use so I’d probably go for the bigger bed.

8. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you can swing the cost, get the truck. I had an Xterra which I loved, but ended up trading it in for a truck. SUV's are a pain for anything large or messy. Felt like a doofus going to Home Depot and strapping a single 8' 2x4 to the roof rack

9. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This. Hauling anything in bulk, outsized, or items such as a gas cans is a pain in an SUV.

10. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

SUV is just a more appealing minivan. I bet the wife's Honda Element, with the seats raised up beats many SUVs in cubic cargo space. I hauled a motorcycle in it, a Yamaha TTR 125 big wheel version.

I loved a lot of things about my Xterra, too. But I didn't need to use it to haul stuff in the back.

I stand by my Frontier recommendation. $15k will get a nice extended cab, long bed truck with 4x4.

@Kubla Kahn , where are you looking to by? Somewhere in Ohio?

11. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean, depending on the space, an SUV with a trailer may do you right. I had to do the same calculus for bike hauling and shenanigans and went with the truck.

12. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nissan has always had long bed, crew cab Frontier options. Unlike your Taco that only has short bed option with a crew cab . The LB, CC frontiers are kinda rare on the used market, though, for some reason. My 2015 Frontier was short bed, which I disliked, just like you.

Screenshot_20230327-102834.png

13. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We ended up with this Mini Cooper S. It's not a type of car I was looking for, but it was free, given by my MIL. The dash is lit up like a Christmas tree with all kinds of warning lights. Most lights have stayed off after clearing with my OBD scanner. Little bit of a vibration when you really stomp on the accelerator, which I suspect might be CV axle or engine mount.

It was over a quart low on oil. I dropped the oil cap and had to remove the airbox to reach it. Found this shit and none of the clamps for the intake hoses were tightened.

Being an S, with all the bolt-ons, it's pretty damn quick and fun. Still don't know if we want to keep it, though.

Screenshot_20230405-121838-487.png

14. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just got back from a trip to SoCal (made a pitstop in Pismo Beach which was fucking AWESOME btw) and realized having a refrigerator in the car would be great. Buddy of mine swears by Dometic but since he has an econo car and uses it for camping, he has the power station, aka battery also. The Jeep has an actual plug outlet that can power 150 watts. The Dometic draws way less than that but I've ready online that if it doesn't provide at least 12.0 volts, it won't run.
    Anyone have experience with these and running them off the cars electrical system? Trying to not shell out a shit ton of money for a power station if I don't need to.

15. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lots and lots of boaters are loving the Engel fridge/freezer units. Some are using them in place of built-in cold storage options.

I don't know how big a unit you're thinking about. I had one in my freightliner, I forget the brand, it was a cheaper one. It was about the size of two microwave ovens. You had to buy a kit to change the motor brushes about every six months.

Is it something you plan on leaving in the car, or pulling in and out as needed?

16. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since we don't have a heavy duty thread i will just put this here. Our tractor drivers don't need a car drivers license or an air brake endorsement. They just take a 1 week in house course, this was a conversation had over the radio

Radio: Tractor 1234 isn't building air pressure.
    Foremen: Ok, we will send a mechanic out after our tool box talk.
    Radio: It is ok I will have it brought by the shop.
    Foremen: You said it isn't building air pressure.
    Radio: That is right.
    Foremen: You can't release the brakes without air pressure.
    The radio went silent and no replies.

No idea what happened after that, it is surprising no one has been killed.

18. wilder111

wilder111
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

IA used to have an "upgraded" license you needed to drive our Box-Truck(20FT, 26000 GVWR, with Air-Brake, Automatic). They have quietly done away with all of that, so, in theory, I can throw someone from accounting into my work vehicle, and just have them out driving around. Literally anyone can drive our trucks.

I will be keeping my Class C in the state of IL. Just makes me feel better.

19. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not sure which is worse, that or that they'll let anyone rent a boat.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Driving on the road around big u-hauls scares the shit out of me.