Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, I guess (??) the saga is complete. Truck was in the lot when I pulled in this morning. It was gone when I went out for lunch.

I think I'm posting here so when the cops come to ask me about it in 6 months when it's used in a murder or something, I'll be able to check this thread for more accurate dates and times.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Dude... I still want to know how you cleaned up all that blood after it was towed out of there that night?

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

WTF, man, you said you had stopped hacking my Ring cameras!

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Once you’re in you don’t have to hack anymore, just watch.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My buddy has a car in his shop for a safety and fluid change. First time in 3 owners that it's been registered, which requires a safety inspection.

2018 GT2RS. Less than 50kms on it. Crazy carbon fibre parts. I've never seen carbon fibre drop links before.

Did I mention that it has LESS THAN 50KMS ON THE ODOMETER? It had 42 kms when it showed up to the shop.

$500k

Fucking hell.

IMG_9106.jpeg

IMG_9109.jpeg

IMG_9108.jpeg

IMG_9107.jpeg

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've never seen that colour yellow on a Porsche before... I don't hate it.

Next to Viper Green... that might be my favourite "in your face" colour.

Of course, I prefer my cars to be white. In a totally non-racist way.

(I do live in the Great White North, after all).

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

In the market for a new truck. Before I just order a 2022 king ranch F250 (currently drive a 2015 KR F250), is there anything else out there I should at least consider out of due dilligence?

Must be quad cap, must be a HD (towing + hauling). The interior is just as important as the specs, as it's also my daily driver for my boys and wife, mobile workshop, and office on wheels. I'm fine waiting, as my current truck is a tank anyway. First vehicle was a Dodge Ram 1500 and my wife, who gets carsick, REALLY didn't like the ride, and I'm a bit skeptical of the new tailgates on the GMCs. This will be the vehicle we use for RV trailer adventures, so the stuff that I believe comes standard, or is at least strongly recommended, at that level is all part and parcel -- 4WD, towing break controls in the cab, diesel, etc.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm a huge fan of the Ram 3500 HD... totally different ride than the 1500. And the Limited trim package is nothing to sneeze at.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

how's the interior on it? We have a bunch of company vehicle 1500s (this will be a company vehicle too). Though the price doesn't reflect it, they're very much on the cheaper end imo. Is there really that drastic of a difference between the 1500 series and the 2500-3500?

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Google “Ram Limited”. It’s pretty damn nice.

The 1500 is a cheap work truck, the 3500 Limited is for people that don’t get dirty. AC seats, 19 speaker sound system, leather, etc.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Sold. This one is back on the list after doing some research into it. I'm in love with the Ford SD looks, but what I've read about interior plus performance of the Ram HDs has me at least giving the dealership a visit. Didn't realize there was that much difference, and can't wait to check it out. 2500 might be a bit more my speed, literally, but with dealerships for all the major manufacturers within spitting difference of the ranch I'd be a fool not to check that out. Especially their mega cab version and longhorn trim.

the $90k budget doesn't hurt ;-)

13. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

More shit to break down...

God damn, you know what I'd do with 90k?
    I'd put a mechanical P7100 pump on a 6.7 Cummins, put THAT in a lightly restored '79 F350 with a six-speed manual, and spend the other $40k on hookers and blow.

The fact that a guy like 'Nerds can just blow $90k on a truck just because he feels like a new one really makes me feel bad about myself.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

actually I’m perfectly content in the one I have — thrilled even — and would be for a VERY long time. But it’s a company vehicle and they’re they’re probably trying to maximize trade in of what I’m currently in. And of course, I’m not gonna complain.

15. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry if I wasn't paying attention, but don't you work for a school district?

I'm just looking for ways to get free trucks.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

preschool administration. A good number of us have company vehicles, given the amount of travel we have to do. My last privately owned vehicle was also my first: dodge ram 1500.

Also did I miss something or why did they seemingly remove "dodge" from all their trucks? Looks like it's just ram branding now.

And @Nettdata there's apparently a Limited, and a "Longhorn Limited" with some even more upgraded leather and other tweaks. Texas gonna Texas y'all.

meanwhile I'm awake from the pain AGAIN, and there longhorns are looking into my office window from the pasture like "wtf man? Turn off the lights!"

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've had company vehicles that I was allowed to drive home and use for personal use. Does it work like a vehicle allowance or do they actually own the vehicle?

I never got to pick them out though. They ranged from a 1993 Isuzu Trooper to a brand new F-250 extended cab in work truck trim, to the owner's wife's old Dodge Caravan, to a bright yellow F-150 that came from a DOT auction, and a couple of Chevy s-10s.

The Trooper was the coolest, had a killer stereo system with subs and amp, and was a manual transmission. It actually convinced me to buy my own Trooper years later that I drove for years.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

they own the vehicle, then I just track the miles and use it personally and they take that out each month for tax purposes, or do some kind of reporting on it. I wanna say it’s like a percentage of monthly use that’s personal or something. I just know I pay taxes on the personal use end and they do on their end.

they want me to have a truck (mobile workshop + hauling), and I would have a truck for personal use anyway. So it’s a win/win. Also they like to have a large truck available, because it’s really fucking handy, and for whatever reason a lot of people are scared off by driving “large” vehicles. So I’ll take one for the team with that, I guess.

19. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They deducted $20 a week from my check for the personal use. I lived so far from work that $20 would cover two days of driving. And I drove to so many construction sites I was doing oil changes every two weeks. I didn't have to differentiate between work and personal use or do any reporting.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

yeah I forget how much of it is covered or taken out, and to be honest I don’t really look at it or care because they pay for gas too (and of course the oil changed and maintenance) and I get a badass truck that can do whatever road trips or toy hauling I wanna do personally. I just know that the times we’ve been audited, it all checks out. My wife and I are in similar positions and she drives a company vehicle as well. We are very, very fortunate to be in this position, but the exchange is we gotta work hard and be great at what we do.

also, did you know that an F250, with the seat moved all the way back, is PERFECT to straighten out your leg in a walking boot?